Author Topic: Black Sicilian Pan Temperature Tolerances?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Black Sicilian Pan Temperature Tolerances?
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »
Hey Everyone.

My wife got me a 16x16x1 non-stick (I wanted a regular one without the non-stock coating, but oh well  :)) black square Sicilian pizza pan from BakeDeco.com:

http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=151

After asking several people, I got them to call the manufacturer to find out what the maximum recommended temp was. The answer was 500F for both the non-stick and regular (without non-stick coating) pans. I am having troubles clarifying if that is being cited because above that is when the non-stick coating may leech off or because of worries about warping/melting from the heat itself.

I'll take the chance on warping if there would be no leeching of the coating.

Does anyone know if the pans from pizza tools have a higher temp tolerance?

http://www.pizzatools.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=158000#158097

500F is awfully low. I cook at 550F in my own home and am curious to put a pan in a WFO fired to a low-high temp like 700 to 750F on the floor.

Thanks! --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Black Sicilian Pan Temperature Tolerances?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »
Thank you Peter.

So, my understanding is that the Lloyds pans non-stick coating will NOT harmfully impact food at *any* temperature, but that above 600F the non-stick properties of the coating would not work and a stuck pizza may be the result (which EVOO would help with anyways).

I'm having difficulty getting a timely answer from where I got mine. They should know all that if they intend to have people pay for the item.

Thanks again! --K

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »
OK just an FYI never even checked the stats/ operating temps. oops!  I have used my 2 allied metals black buster ( non stick?) pans in my WFO hearth around 500+ or more oven temp at 650 -700  for deep dish after oven has cooled a bit,with no problems. I have also used my llyod cutter pan in the wfo with no adverse affects.
John
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:46:37 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Pizzablogger,  By the looks of them I think that these pans are actually made for a company called fat daddio.  I just picked up some coated,  by accident and some regulars/uncoated.  Any chance if you look at the bottom of the pan that you can see a faint imprint of text?  If so,  I can help you with some more information.  The people at fat daddios were really helpful to me as I had the same set of questions for them.  I will have to look through some back email,  but I should have the name of the company that makes the coating,  and temp recomendations -marc

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Heya Marc...no faint imprint on the pans at all.

I got another reply that the manufacturer recommends 500F as the temp the pans would last longer at, but they could withstand higher temps, but would not last as long.

They also mentioned the coating is a NSF approved coating and its not harmful, but it is VERY frustrating in that I specifically asked WHAT the non-stick coating is comprised of (water based, silicone, teflon, what exactly) and get no answer. NSF International is merely an independent testing company. If the coating is a synthetic PTFE containing coating, what if the NSF tests were conducted at 500F? That means firing the pans above this point COULD be dangerous.

I am very dissapointed with the lack of information and knowledge from this seller of the pans I got. I just need to know if the friggen non-stick coating is PTFE free or not and, if not, what the maximum temp was used to attain the NSF certification. Sorry to vent.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:07:08 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
Okay, I found out that the non-stick pans sold through Brudeke's are made by Allied Metal and are the "Black Buster" line of Sicilian pizza pans.

The non-stick coating is not PTFE free, is not NSF approved and consists of a "food grade coating", but still no answer on what the coating itself is primarily made up of. Allied "does not recommend" firing the pans above 500F.

So now it will be interesting to see how responsive the returns department at Brudeke's is because I have no use for such a pan and am now in the hunt for a preferably PTFE free pan that can withstand high temps. Thanks everyone for the comments and Happy New Year. --K

pizzapan