Author Topic: Preferment  (Read 910 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Preferment
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
I would like to try some experiments with a preferment. Is there a primer on the subject or at least a thread to help me get started? I've seen the dough tool for preferments but found it a bit confusing as it does not include the basic % parameters like the Lehmann calculator does. Currently, I make a pretty darn good NY style using the Lehmann calculator, so I thought this would be a good place to start with the preferment, just to see how it changes things. I'm also tentatively planning to build a brick oven in the spring, but that's another story.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Preferment
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »
Ev,

Are you thinking about preferments that are based on using commercial yeast or wild yeast?

The preferment dough calculating tool uses baker's percents just like the other dough calculating tools although, to avoid confusion, the baker's percents don't show up in the output for the preferment and final mix. Also, the preferment dough calculating tool is intended to be used mainly for naturally-leavened starters/preferments, not commercially-leavened preferments. There are literally hundreds of possible forms of commercially-leavened preferments that it would have been impossible to program them into a simple-to-use tool.

Peter

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
As far as commercial or wild, I'd like to start with which ever is easiest I guess. I have IDY and ADY.
Is there a time of year when natural yeast is more prevalent in the air? Does it matter?
 What confuses me about the pre-f calc. is how to express the pre-f., be it total flour, water or dough and corresponding % of preferment or water.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
Ev,

I personally think that the easier method to use to get started is to use commercially-leavened preferments. A couple of very good articles on the subject are the following: http://web.archive.org/web/20050116064312/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm and http://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm.

As far as the preferment dough calculating tool is concerned, you might want to read the discussion on that tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4996.msg42266.html#msg42266. However, if you decide to proceed with commercially-leavened preferments, there may be no immediate need to read that discussion.

Peter

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
Thanks Peter. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

pizzapan