Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 41357 times)

Infoodel

Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
Norma,
I used mainly store-bought lard but also tried to render some pancetta fat (only yielded a small amount but it all adds flavour, right?). I forgot exactly what I did but I recall some of it was kneaded (like in making brioche) but I think also some added to water.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:33:25 PM by Infoodel »

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
Hi Norma427,
you sound like a very nice lady so sweet and kind, I wish one day I can meet in person if you ever come to Brooklyn. Anyway, my answer to your question: I do not caramelize the onions, I said translucent because they still cook in the oven and you don't want to make them bitter. Also, I do not use sugar. Do not layer the bread crumbs like you did on the pictures. You have to toast the breadcrumbs lightly with a little bit of oil. Also, it is not necessary to use lard or pork fat, think about your health not the little difference in taste it may make. I have access to a very authentic sicilian website where some recipes are written in dialect, if you need the recipe for the crust I could translate it and send it to you.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »
Infoodel,
Thanks, again for the useful information.  If I ever want to try out the lard idea, I could easily get some lard from one of the many butchers at market. 

ninapizza23,
The picture of your Sfincione looks delicious.   :) Thanks for the compliments..I am a mother, grandmother and any day now a great-grandmother.
I do get to Brooklyn about 3 times a year.  I have a daughter that lives in Brooklyn. My oldest daughter used to live in Queens. Sometimes my oldest daughter drives me up and sometimes I take the bus.  I sure couldnít drive with all the confusion and traffic.  I know the subway system for most places in NY. Maybe some day we could meet.  Your advise about how to cook the onions and toast the breadcrumbs are very helpful.
I would appreciate if you could translate the recipe for the crust if you want.
Thank you for your help.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »
The chef in me would melt the anchovies in olive oil and then caramelize the onions in that oil, or possibly fry the bread crumbs in the anchovy oil.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:52 PM »
Hi Norma427,
you sound like a very nice lady so sweet and kind, I wish one day I can meet in person if you ever come to Brooklyn. Anyway, my answer to your question: I do not caramelize the onions, I said translucent because they still cook in the oven and you don't want to make them bitter. Also, I do not use sugar. Do not layer the bread crumbs like you did on the pictures. You have to toast the breadcrumbs lightly with a little bit of oil. Also, it is not necessary to use lard or pork fat, think about your health not the little difference in taste it may make. I have access to a very authentic sicilian website where some recipes are written in dialect, if you need the recipe for the crust I could translate it and send it to you.
The onions will not get bitter in the oven and you will get a lot more flavor from them if you caramelize them first.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
Terry,
Thanks for your advise.   :)
Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:43:21 AM »

M
Matt,
Did your grandmother say anything about using semolina in the dough?  Since you make Sicilian  pies you would know more than I do. Do Sfincione and (ďSfincione alla PalermitanaĒ) mean the same kind of pie?
Norma

Hi Norma,
In Italy, she use to use semola or 00, but now she just uses AP or bread flour since it's it's readily available.  She's 83 years old now so she doesn't bake much anymore.  There are many different versions of Sfincone & they all vary by region. Some of which like Sfincione di San Giovanni are prepared in Italy on special occasions (June 24th) . Another popular one is Sfincione di caltanisetta, which is a version that they do in Caltanisetta, Sicily.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »
The question about what is woollen fabric intrigued me, in reply #13.  I searched the web and now think this type of fabric is some kind of fine woven textile, made from sheep's wool.

http://pix.popula.com/items/0224/vintage3/wool.html

As a side note, my oldest daughter was in NY over the New Year, visiting friends.  I had asked her if she would go to DiFariís and bring me a slice of Sicilian home so I could experience how this pizza tasted.  I donít know if Dom was having an off day or what happened, but my daughter went to DiFariís Saturday evening and she said Dom was taking a Sicilian out of the oven and it was so burnt (not charred), that she wouldnít buy any Sicilian for me.  She said when he tried to cut the crust it shattered.  She also said DiFariís was so dirty she wouldnít eat any pizza there. She told me DiFari's was so smoky and when Dom opened the oven door, so much smoke rolled out. I guess I will have to wait and go there to see if I have a different experience.  The only thing I could convince her to do was take a picture from outside.  :(

Norma

Matt,
Thank you for the additional information.  When you are baking a Sicilian pizza, do use a hydration of more than 70%?  I really donít know what the hydration was for the pizza I made because it was in volume measurements.
Thanks,
Norma
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:16:23 AM by norma427 »

Offline Mare

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »

I have no idea who Nick Malgieri is, nor have I  ever read his recipe. 

Really? :o  My post included a link to his recipe. ;D

It's worth a look, if only because Malgieri is a well-known baker, instructor, and cookbook author.  And he's Italian.

Mare 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »
The question about what is woollen fabric intrigued me, in reply #13.  I searched the web and now think this type of fabric is some kind of fine woven textile, made from sheep's wool.

http://pix.popula.com/items/0224/vintage3/wool.html

Matt,
Thank you for the additional information.  When you are baking a Sicilian pizza, do use a hydration of more than 70%?  I really donít know what the hydration was for the pizza I made because it was in volume measurements.
Thanks,
Norma

Norma,
The last batch that I made was using Marco's formula using a poolish which was 40% semola & 60% bread flour @ 75% hydration, came out really good, probably my best to date.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »
Hi Norma427,
I have access to a very authentic sicilian website where some recipes are written in dialect, if you need the recipe for the crust I could translate it and send it to you.

Could you please post the website.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
Matt,
I did see you posted that these were probably you best pies.  Did you happen to take any pictures?
I have been following that thread with interest. 
Thanks,
Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
Matt,
I did see you posted that these were probably you best pies.  Did you happen to take any pictures?
I have been following that thread with interest. 
Thanks,
Norma

Norma,
Sorry I didn't.  I made them on New Years Day & had a house full of people.

Matt

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
I have no idea who Nick Malgieri is, nor have I  ever read his recipe.  His topping are likely the same because they are the traditional toppings for sfincione alla Palermitana.

Matt

If you're interested, here's his site.
http://www.nickmalgieri.com/

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
This thread is awesome. I've learned more about the authentic Sicilian pizza in two days than I have trying to research the matter for over a year. Let's all take note of how far ahead of the hipster curve we all are here, and congratulate ourselves accordingly (especially those who provided the recipes and other insights). I'm going to be the coolest kid on my block when I make these before it hits the mainstream  ;D

-JLP

Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Hi Norma427,
my advice to you is to put small pieces of anchovies on top so in case you want to sell them and some people may not like the anchovies they may want to pull them out. I had 3 guests last year for the xmas holidays they loved my sfincione. If you go to Brooklyn on 18th ave there is one guy that makes the sfincione, octopus salad, arancini, and other sicilian specialties, also a couple blocks down there is a bakery(I think the best in this country) that makes cannoli with ricotta imported from Palermo, cassata, cartocci and yes sfincione. Very clean, built brand new, you need a number and get in line because they are bbbbbbbbbbbbbbusy.
Norma if you need 00 flour or semolina flour extra durum I can get it for you in small amounts or a 50lbs bag.
Norma I got the same impression about di fara like your daughter after I saw his video. About the whool fabric don't go crazy, my mother is very old fashioned and 87 yrs old, she uses a light whool blanket that she made herself to cover the bread, I put the dough in the oven covered with a cotton towel. As soon as I have a chance I will look for that website and send you the translated version. I am very busy now, I have a guest pizzaiolo from Venice. Ciao

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:25 AM »
Jose L. Piedra,
I am glad you like this tread, as I do.  I have wanted to learn more about Sicilian pizza for awhile and am happy for all the people that contributed to what goes into making a authentic Sicilian Pizza.  Hope you post pictures when you make your Sfincione. 
Thanks,
Norma

ninapizza23,
Thank you for more information you have given me.  When I get to Brooklyn, I will go to the place you are talking about and try their Sfincione. Sounds absolutely delicious.  Do you remember what other street might be near 18th ave, or is it a short street?  Brooklyn is such a big place and I know by going there different times it can take long to get from one place to another.  Do you happen to know what train stops nearest the place you are talking about? Wow, that bakery sounds fantastic.  I have tried to make my own cannoli and it is hard.  I gave up on that.  All the rolling of the dough and then getting them to stay on the rolls when putting them into the fryer.  I sure didnít try anything like the ricotta imported from Palermo.  Just you talking about all this is making me hungry.  :)
Thanks for saying you would get me some 00 flour or semolina flour extra durum.  What do you make that you use the semolina flour extra durum for?  Is that used in your Sfincione? 
Thanks for the tip on the wool fabric..I was just wondering what they were referring to when they said use a woollen fabric to wrap the dough in.
Donít worry about being too busy to translate the website.  I have all the time in the world to wait.  Enjoy your guest pizzaiolo from Venice.  You are indeed lucky.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Norma

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
Norma427,
Gino's is located on 18th and 68st across from Dunkin Donuts, Villa Abbate Bakery is on 18th and 70th on the corner. I guarantee you will be hooked to their pastries that you will be making lots of trips to Brooklyn. I use semolina extra durum to make bread, pasta and I put some on the sfincione. I bought 50lbs for $16.00 wholesale. It gives a nice flavor and a nice crunch and color.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »

I have access to a very authentic sicilian website where some recipes are written in dialect, if you need the recipe for the crust I could translate it and send it to you.

What about the link to the website?  I'd love to see it.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »
Matt,
as I promised Norma I will have to find it ASAP and I will send it to you and her, I have a guest pizzaiolo from Venice in my house until the 16th. Be patient! this site is full of great recipes, can you read italian?

pizzapan