Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 42356 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Matt,
as I promised Norma I will have to find it ASAP and I will send it to you and her, I have a guest pizzaiolo from Venice in my house until the 16th. Be patient! this site is full of great recipes, can you read italian?

Yes, I am fluent in Italian.

Matt

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
norma427,
here is a picture of great  cannolis like the ones from Villa Abbate. Enjoy!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
Norma427,
Gino's is located on 18th and 68st across from Dunkin Donuts, Villa Abbate Bakery is on 18th and 70th on the corner. I guarantee you will be hooked to their pastries that you will be making lots of trips to Brooklyn. I use semolina extra durum to make bread, pasta and I put some on the sfincione. I bought 50lbs for $16.00 wholesale. It gives a nice flavor and a nice crunch and color.

ninapizza23,
Thanks for telling me exactly where these two great places are.  :)  It is interesting to also hear what you use the semolina for. 
Those cannolis look like they are to great.  Thanks for the pictures.  Now, you are making me hungry, again.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:34:09 PM by norma427 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
Norma,

It's funny that you'd post a link with pictures from David Lebovitz (second link from the top). He owns the building we have our business in, here in S.F.! He's currently living in Paris, France.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
Matt,
You are sooooo lucky to be able go there.  :)  I don't know if this is still the place ninapizza23 is referring to.  Will wait until she says if this is the place. 
I hope you are going to take lots of pictures and let us know how all the pizzas taste.  :)
Just the Italian music and seeing these pictures is an experience.  :)
Thanks,
Norma

Mike,
I was just searching for pictures or videos since ninapizza23 mentioned Pizzarium.  I will look at that picture to see what you are referring to.  I looked at them so much I forget which one it is.  Okay, I looked..I guess he was there.  Funny how you find something out by coincidence.  ::)
Thanks,
Norma
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:49:17 PM by norma427 »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
Matt,
You are sooooo lucky to be able go there.  :)  I don't know if this is still the place ninapizza23 is referring to.  Will wait until she says if this is the place. 
I hope you are going to take lots of pictures and let us know how all the pizzas taste.  :)
Just the Italian music and seeing these pictures is an experience.  :)
Thanks,
Norma

Yes, Pizzarium is the place.  I am going to make some sfincione Palermitano this weekend.  I'm going to do a 50/50 bread flour/semola mix @ 80% hydration.

Matt

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »

I'll be in Rome in March.  Can't wait! ;D

Matt

Of course we expect a report. Buon Viaggio!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:41:17 PM by apizza »

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
Norma427,
this is one video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPsyIUlZUM
the other one is:이태원 맛집 - 네모난 피자 '피자리움(PIZZA RIUM)'
This dough is a poolish with high gluten flour. After it is all mixed you do about 4 or 5 "rigeneri" meaning you mix the dough like a couple rounds in the mixer every 15minutes, then you throw the whole dough in a bucket and in the fridge for 48hrs. Take it out of the fridge and put in room temp. until ready. You stretch it out about the size of the pan, put it on your forearms and drop it in the tray that has been lightly oiled. The dough will be 80% hidrated so you're going to need some flour and expertise to handle this type of dough. Good luck!

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
Matt,
those are the pictures of pizzarium in rome, let me know what you think of it. His pizza might be a bit more crunchy at the base and some others like the one I went to near Fontana di Trevi might be softer, but the flavor is very aromatic. Let me know how your sfincione comes out this weekend. I will be going to Sicily all the way up to Venice in May for about 6 weeks. I want to bring back some origano even though I have a bunch of plants here. Ciao

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
Matt,
If you have time please post pictures of your Sfincione Palermitano that you are making this weekend.  Sounds great!
Thanks,
Norma

apizza,
I will be looking forward to a report, also.  I canít go there, but to be able to see pictures is great!
Norma

ninapizza23,
Thank you for explaining how the dough is made.  I donít have that much experience in handling that high of hydration of dough, but I can learn.  You are lucky to be going to Sicily and Rome in May, also.
Could you tell me what kind of oregano you are growing?  Do these start from seeds or do you need a small plant? 
I will try to look at the You Tube video you posted.
Thanks for all the help you have given me.  :)
Norma

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
Norma427,
I am sure you can learn to make this dough you just need some PAP, patience and practice. Watch the second video and you will learn how to handle the wet dough.The oregano plants that I have are the wild ones that grow in the mountains in sicily. I have not seen any seeds here of this oregano except the greek one with pink or purple leaves, not as good. The latin name is origanum vulgare.You may want to try Banana-tree.com for seeds, or if you ever come to Queens I will gladly give you a couple. I am becoming very popular in this forum, just kidding! Norma do you want to go to Italy with me? How far are you from Queens?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »
ninapizza23,
I will try to learn over time, what it takes to make a great pie like you are talking about.  Thanks for posting the links.  I didnít get to try them, but will let you know if they work. 
Thanks for telling me the Latin name for this kind of oregano.  I will also look on the website you provided to look for the seeds. 
I talked to my oldest daughter and she said she would bring me to Queens, when the weather gets better.  My daughter has friends that live in Woodside that she visits often.  I would really like to meet you.  It takes about 3 hours for us to drive to Queens. 
You are so kind asking me to go along to Italy.  I have a small pizza business at our local farmerís market.  It is only open one day a week.  You can see the market at www.rootsmarket.com .  If you click under standholders and then scroll down, you will see Normaís Pizza.  My husband and I used to have a Caramel Corn business at the farmerís market.  That business was in operation since 1928.  I had to sell that business when my husband became ill.  I have only been in the pizza business since April 2009.  I only have a pizza stand that is 8'x13'.  You can see it on here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9896.0.html
I have a obligation to be at market every week.  I would really love to visit Italy with you, but at this time I have to continue working.  I have always heard so much about Italy and love Italian food and everything about Italy. That is why I said you are fortunate to be able to go there.  I make and sell the pizza at market one day a week and it takes me one day to prepare the dough, make the sauce, and get all the things ready. Another day to go back and clean.  I make a Lehmman dough for a NY Style pizza.
You are becoming popular because you know a lot about making authentic Italian pizza and you are trying to answer many peoples questions.  To be able to ask someone like you all these questions is amazing.  :) You already know so much.
Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions.
Hopefully we can meet soon.
Thanks,
Norma

ninapizza23,

Are these the two videos you provided?

Thanks,
Norma

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/-pizza-rium/3866298856
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:15:55 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »
A few more videos if anyone is interested.
Norma

I donít know if any of these videos are what ninapizza23 is talking about, but they are very interesting to me.  They show how the people that are making the dough, donít use any measurements..I guess only do it by experience.  :)

Recipe is anyone can read Italian.

flatbread..look at the oven and mixing teciniques..beautiful music

Recipe Farina

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
I messed up a reply. Matt is going to Rome, not me. Sorry for the  confusion.
Again, Buon Viaggio Matt

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
Norma427,
I just noticed that you posted 3 new links from youtube, those show how to make focaccia genovese which is also different from focaccia pugliese. In Florence I saw that type of focaccia cut in 2  slices like 4x6" stuffed with prosciutto, mozzarella like a panini sandwhich. I saw your beautiful stand in PA, Oh my God, what a stong lady you must be! Woodside is not too far from me I am very  close to JFK Airport. The ground in the backyard is frozen, so if you want in the spring I will dig up some oregano for you. Norma, you only sell NY pizza? How about arancini, garlic knots, sfincione,etc     I am building my own woodburning oven for my backyard and I would like to build one to take it, hopefully in the near future, to some events. So watch out, move over Norma, here comes Nina, hey just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
ninapizza23,
I just found those 3 links from youtube fascinating on how they mix the dough with no measurements and how they are mixed by hand.  The way you explain the focaccia genovese sound delicious, too.  I make panini sandwiches, also, but just from my regular Lehmann dough that is scaled down to 4 ounces.  I open the dough and put them into the oven.  In less than a minute they really balloon up and then are taken out of the oven..then to the panini grill. 
Thank you for saying you would dig some oregano up for me. 
I sell NY Style pizza, garlic knots, cheesy breadsticks, pepperoni pinwheels, pizza buns, and panini sandwiches and other things.  I have never tried the sfincione, like you talk about. 
What is arancini?  I never heard of that before. 
Thatís great you are building a wood burning oven for your backyard.  Are you thinking about taking another oven to street fairs?  I have been to many of them in New York.  I really enjoy them.  So many different foods to taste. 
I always say, do what makes you happy..Best of luck if you decide to take your products and introduce them to other people.  I am sure you would do well, because you already know so much about Italian kinds of Sicilian.
Thanks for posting,
Norma
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:24:51 PM by norma427 »

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:53 PM »
Nina,

If you have the time to bring some of your obvious experience and expertise into the Pizzarium thread it would help a lot !!

-JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
Norma427,
these are arancini, also a sicilian specialty from Palermo, they sell really well in NY pizzerias. Have you ever seen them?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:35:30 PM by ninapizza23 »