Author Topic: January 2010 Monthly Challenge- CHEESE!  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
January 2010 Monthly Challenge- CHEESE!
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't really have a recipe to submit at this point, but I'm thinking about the use of various cheeses in the making of great pizza, be it in the crust , sauce or topping.
 I say "Bring it On"!
There's no such thing as too much cheese! :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:36:10 PM by Ev »

scott123

Re: January 2010 Monthly Challenge- CHEESE!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
There's no such thing as too much cheese! :D

Amen to that!  Every time I watch a video of Neapolitan pizza being made, I salivate as the crust gets all puffy and charred, but when I look at the cheese, it's like "where is it?"

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
Amen to that!  Every time I watch a video of Neapolitan pizza being made, I salivate as the crust gets all puffy and charred, but when I look at the cheese, it's like "where is it?"

Of course it is matter of personal taste, but here is my take: The whole ritual of how Neapolitan pies are prepared and baked has the crust at center stage. Particularly with the Margherita, the other ingredients exist only to complement the flavor and texture of the crust. The relatively small amount of fresh mozzarella cheese and sauce are in perfect balance with the charred puffy crust that makes so many swoon. This is in stark contrast to the chain pizza served in my town with cheese and other toppings piled on so high, there could be cardboard underneath instead of crust. Often it tastes like cardboard. I am definitely from the school that believes that there is indeed such a thing as too much cheese. And too much sauce. And too much toppings.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:59:20 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
Ok, I'll give you that in certain styles and situations too much cheese would be a distraction and would likely just make a big mess in the WFO. However, in the arena of the the monthly challenge, I don't believe there is such thing as too little cheese any more than too much cheese. The idea is too achieve the optimum use of cheese in whatever style that one would desire. I'm looking for creativity. If your personal preference is for something other than gobs of mozzarella, I say GREAT! Lets hear about it!
 I'm in the middle of experimenting with adding ricotta to my dough. I don't know how it's gonna turn out yet. Others may include various cheeses in their sauce or toppings, or in the order in which they're applied.  There are so many variables. Isn't that the whole idea?

scott123

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »
The whole ritual of how Neapolitan pies are prepared and baked has the crust at center stage.

I agree 100%.  No other style can touch the majesty of a Neapolitan crust. But having been practically weaned on award winning NY style pies, where the cheese is center stage, that's where my heart firmly lies. My oven is only 17" deep and it's killing me.  The larger the pie, the greater the cheese to crust ratio.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
There are so many variables. Isn't that the whole idea?

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. No quibble with the theme. This is the first challenge not hosted by a moderator and the consensus is that you chose a great theme and that we hope other members take the same initiative in the future. I was only responding to the statement that there is no such thing as too much cheese.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Oops! I sincerely hope I haven't stepped on anyone's' toes, as it were, in suggesting a topic for the challenge. I never noticed that the Mods. had started the previous threads. I'm still rather new here and it just seemed like fun, I guess.  ;) It ain't easy being cheesey! :D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »
No toes were stepped on. We think it is great for members to take over the reins. For now, first person at the start of the month who posts a challenge will be the "host" for that month as long as the topic is in the spirit of the forum.

Change is good.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:00:58 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline mdwyer

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »
I'm new here. How does this challenge work?

-Murphy

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Use your imagination Make it (cheese is the theme) take some pics and post it!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
I'm new here. How does this challenge work?

-Murphy

Welcome, Murphy. Take a look at the past 11 challenges to get an idea of how they work - some better than others.

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »
Been around here awhile, but never posted any photos -- so might as well start with a video.  I attempt Neapolitan-style pizzas in a wood oven, so I'm in the less is more camp as far as cheese and toppings.  This is a video of a wood roasted and marinated eggplant and sharp, imported provolone cheese pizza (with a little oregano and lemon olive oil put on at the end).  I'm making it for our son and daughter in law, who have never seen a pizza made in a wood oven (which explains some of the comments).  Even though there is very little cheese on the pizza, listen for the comments at the very end -- "It must be the cheese."

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »
This is a video of a wood roasted and marinated eggplant and sharp, imported provolone cheese pizza (with a little oregano and lemon olive oil put on at the end). 

Brilliant! For the record, it baked in about 85 seconds. Your video definitely inspired me to do one for this challenge on Friday!

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
Glad I could give you even just a little inspiration Bill, since your posts have been a huge help and inspiration to me over the past year.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
Pizza with 4 cheeses, serrano ham, figs, and truffle honey.

Here is my entry for the challenge this month, featuring an unusual combination of four cheeses:

- Robiola Bosina
- Amadeus
- Mozzarella
- Parm

Here is a little video inspired by AZ-Buckeye:

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »
Bill,  thats sweet looking pie!  how was it?   after all these years your are still tinkering with heat management ehh?  Thought you had it down :-D   -marc

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Bill,  thats sweet looking pie!  how was it?   after all these years your are still tinkering with heat management ehh?  Thought you had it down :-D   -marc

Thanks, marc. It was OK: the toppings were interesting, especially the truffle honey & figs, but the crust rocked. I love playing with the fire. Can't imagine a day when I'll "have it down".   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
Interesting Bill!
Looks Great ! Having the same oven I am planning to try the U shape fire next time.Oh yeah You win  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
I am planning to try the U shape fire next time.Oh yeah You win  ;D

Thanks, John. I chose the U-shape today because it illuminates the pie better for video. It also allows me to more easily handle the peel without blocking the camera. Pies cook faster with the U, but it also easier to overbake.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
Looks good, I'll make my entry on Friday ;D

pizzapan