Author Topic: Sbarro Philippines  (Read 10879 times)

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Sbarro Philippines
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
Growing up in NYC, Sbarro was all over the place.  They weren't in mall food courts yet.  They were all mirrors and brass and neon and shiny as hell.  They had stores in highly-trafficked areas like across the street from Madison Square Garden or Macy's.  There was one right next to the Empire State Building.  And if you walked around Times Square, you'd see at least 3 or 4 Sbarro restaurants.

And the food was really good.  Mr. and Mrs. Sbarro were wonderful cooks and they loved feeding people.  Mama Carmela really did "run the kitchen" in those days.

Sbarro has been in the Philippines for around 20 years now.  Most blogs don't even mention it any more, since local foodbloggers delight in discovering new, cool things.  So imagine my surprise, when I saw this review on a blog I usually visited:

"The Return to Sbarro

Posted By Connie on August 17, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

I have a confession to make. I absolutely love pizza. And one of my biggest frustrations is my inability to make good-quality pizza at home. It’s not the lack of ingredients. I know where to buy everything — good mozzarella, those spicy Italian sausages, herbs and spices… No, the problem is not the topping. It’s the crust. I still can’t make good pizza crust — the kind that is almost crisp outside but soft inside. I can’t hand-toss dough if my life depended on it. And because I never liked frozen pizza crust (they taste too much like bad biscuit), we’d rather eat out to get good pizza.

Story of my life. That was how I got introduced to Sbarro back when I was still a Law student. A group of us would drive to SM City for Sbarro’s pizza and pasta when we had the money to splurge. Not that often; probably once every couple of months. But often enough to know that the food was consistently good. Even after graduating and we were already lawyers all working in the Diliman area, we’d still go once in a while.

I haven’t been to Sbarro in years. The last time I was there, it was to introduce Speedy to the place and we weren’t even married yet at the time. Our daughters are now teenagers and it wasn’t until last Wednesday that we went back to Sbarro — together. Not in SM City but in the new mall right across the street — TriNoMa.

And was the food still good?

The pizza was. They were still so huge that I didn’t have the nerve to order pasta too so I really can’t say anything about the pasta — yet. We’re going back to Sbarro over the weekend to bring our daughters there.

So what did we order? The double pizzas. Two layers of pizza oozing with cheese and meat. I ordered the Supreme for Speedy and I had the sausage and pepperoni.

I love Sbarro’s pizza more than Yellow Cab’s and I love Yellow Cab many times over than California Pizza Kitchen’s pizza. Another place to get good pizza is S&R.

Then, there are the pizzas I miss. The Italian Village along Quezon Avenue, quite popular when I was still a U.P. student, closed down several years ago. Since we moved to the suburb, Domino’s pizzas have been inaccessible. The only pizza delivery service on our side of the boondocks are Pizza Hut and Greenwich. Pizza Hut’s delivery service isn’t that good, and neither is the pizza, and I only eat Greenwich if there’s nothing else available and I’m starving.

Of course, I haven’t tried all the pizza there is in Metro Manila alone much less the entire world. But if all the pizza places in Metro Manila were to close down except one, and the choice as to which should remain were up to me, I’d choose Sbarro."

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Sbarro Philippines
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »
We shot a commercial last Friday at one of the outlets.  I can't really post any of the pictures from that yet, but this is what our pizza display looked like that morning.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:52:35 PM by RoadPizza »

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Growing up in Upstate NY (Orange County), Sbarro was a treat because they weren't in my area, but when we'd travel a little closer to NYC, we'd see them.

I used to love their stuffed pizza (not anything like Chicago stuffed), and I loved to sprinkle lots of Parmesan on the top of it.

Thanks for the memories, Road Pizza.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
You're welcome, Ronzo.  It's great to hear from someone with good memories of the NYC stores.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »
Here's a link to our new cinema commercial (unfortunately, I could only upload the lo-res version):

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
Here's a link to our new cinema commercial (unfortunately, I could only upload the lo-res version):

RoadPizza,

Your video commercial is great!  :)  Wish I could try some of those products.

Thanks for sharing the new cinema commercial,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:40 AM »
RoadPizza,

Your video commercial is great!  :)  Wish I could try some of those products.

Thanks for sharing the new cinema commercial,

Norma

It's only a 20 hour (give or take a couple of hours) plane ride away.  You can have as much pizza and ziti as you can handle.  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:09:18 AM »
It's only a 20 hour (give or take a couple of hours) plane ride away.  You can have as much pizza and ziti as you can handle.  ;D

RoadPizza,

Thanks for the invite and the all I can eat pizza and ziti, I could handle.   ;)  Wow, that is a long plane ride.  Don't know I could handle that.  :-D

Norma

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
Here's a preview of our next billboard:

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
Our website is finally up: http://www.sbarro.ph/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »
Our website is finally up: http://www.sbarro.ph/

RoadPizza,

Your website looks great and all the pizza and food look delicious!  :)

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »
Road Pizza,

Very nice indeed. Were you personally involved in the design of the new website? I have been waiting for the U.S. Sbarro to post its nutrition data for over a year. That part of its website is always under construction: http://www.sbarro.com/ourFood/nutrition.php.

I see also that the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Pizza is on its way, which is good to hear. I am not so sure about the cucumber part of the White Pizza with Bacon and Cucumber, however. Is that a local taste matter?

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »
Road Pizza,

Very nice indeed. Were you personally involved in the design of the new website? I have been waiting for the U.S. Sbarro to post its nutrition data for over a year. That part of its website is always under construction: http://www.sbarro.com/ourFood/nutrition.php.

I see also that the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Pizza is on its way, which is good to hear. I am not so sure about the cucumber part of the White Pizza with Bacon and Cucumber, however. Is that a local taste matter?

Peter

Thank you, Peter & Norma. 

Cucumber is used a lot by the Thais.  There are several interesting pizzas I've seen elsewhere in the US that people have made with Prosciutto (or Parma Ham) on a white pizza base - it's more of a take-off on that.

I'm still playing around with the recipe for the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Pizza.  We're still trying to come up with a better presentation for it.

When I was in NYC in late March, the menuboards in Times Square all had calorie information (which is now required).  Their website probably hasn't been updated lately - there's a lot of changes the last few weeks.

We approved the website designs every step of the way.  I proofread a lot of the material and provided a lot of the pictures and information to the design company.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:28:21 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline rpc938

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »
 :)  HI GUYS,

I AM ALSO A PIZZA NUT, AND LIVE IN MANILA.   I HAVE ALSO TRIED PIZZA IN NY, SF, LA, ROME.  I ALSO HAVE TAUGHT MY MAIDS TO MAKE PIZZA FROM SCRATCH.

I AGREE WITH ROAD PIZZA THAT SBARRO IS BEST PIZZA FOR VALUE AND CONSISTENCY.  I ALSO USED TO EAT THERE REGULARLY WHEN I WAS SINGLE.  I LOVED THE CHEESE PIZZA BY THE SLICE.    IT WAS A SORT OF REWARD AT THE END OF THE WEEK.  EAT ALONE AT SBARRO AND ENJOY THE PIZZA.  NOW, IT MAKES MORE ECONOMIC SENSE TO PREPARE IT AT HOME AS I HAVE A SON AND WIFE AND 2 MAIDS TO FEED.  I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE PROFIT MARGIN IN PIZZA IS ATTRACTIVE.

ANYWAY, MANILA HAS SOME GOOD PIZZA NOWADAYS COMPARED TO WHEN SBARRO CAME OUT IN THE LATE 1980'S.  I AM GLAD IT HAS SURVIVED, REMAINED REASONABLE IN PRICE AND CONSISTENT IN QUALITY.  CONGRATULATIONS TO SBARRO PHILIPPINES !

DON BOSCO AMICI HAS DECENT PIZZA, BUT I NOW PREFER TO MAKE IT AT HOME FROM SCRATCH .  DOUGH USING THE BREAD MAKER DOUGH CYCLE. SLICED FRESH TOMATOES. DIFFERENT CHEESES AND LEFT OVER CHEESES.  AND USING A PIZZA STONE OR ONE OR A LARGE TILE.  THERE ARE SOME GOOD LOCAL CHEESES THAT CAN APPROXIMATE MOZZARELA, BUT IT YOU HAVE TO ORDER IT FROM THE CHEESE MAKER !  LUCKY I HAVE A FRIEND NEARBY THE FARM IN NASUGBU.  WE SHARE THE SAME PASSION.   NO KIDDING, THE ASIAN NATIVE CARABAO MILK/CHEESE IS EXCELLENT WHEN DONE RIGHT. IT HAS A HIGHER FAT CONTENT THAN THE MURRAH BUFFALO.   I HAVE ALSO MADE CHEESE 2X, TASTES GOOD, BUT I HAD A PROBLEM MAKING IT STRETCH.

I HAVE ALSO MADE AN EARTH OVEN IN THE FARM AND IT PERFORMS REALLY WELL; BUT A HASSLE TO PREHEAT AND TEMP REGULATION IS A WIDE SPREAD.  THAT IS ANOTHER STORY .

BUT SERIOUSLY, IT IS HARD TO BEAT SBARRO WHEN SPEED,PRICE, CONSISTENCY, SINGLE SERVE PORTION, QUALITY ARE MEASURED.  TOO BAD I CANT FIND THE SBARRO IN AYALA GLORIETA AFTER THE PLACE EXPLODED DUE TO METHANE GAS !  THAT IS ANOTHER STORY !

CHEERS TO ALL AND GOOD PLACE THIS FORUM ! 

IS THERE A PIZZA CLUB IN THE PHILIPPINES ?  SHOULD WE FORM ONE ?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
RPC, thank you for the kind words.  We opened a store at Glorietta 5 the past year.  It's hard to get to, since the mall's promised bridgeway connecting G5 to the rest of Glorietta was overruled by the Makati City Hall.  We plan to open at Glorietta 2 again once that part of the mall has been rebuilt.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I've spent the past week opening a new store.  During that time, I've kept an eye on Braddonbach's newbie forum.  He has a right to be upset with me.  He's still young and he thinks that I made fun of his dreams.  I just wanted to make sure that he looked at things from a realistic point of view.

Theo (sonofapizza) is another matter entirely.  He really is making it personal.  He is a pizza hobbyist. Please don't take offense at that.  I'm a hobbyist at a lot of things.  It takes a different mindset when you have to do something for a living.  You have to be aware of everything that goes into your product.

And I take exception to sonofapizza's claim that I only make negative posts.  I do what I can to help others out in the forum.  A lot of times, I help out by PM.  Norma and others can attest to that fact.

You don't think I don't know that the Russians (the 2nd leading grower of wheat in the world) lost a substantial amount of their crop to drought this year?  It's scary because there is a domino effect in the market.

Recent international flour news:
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100912/News/nws_08.html
http://themoscowtimes.com/business/article/flour-prices-jump-20-40/413697.html
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/08/23/flour-price-may-soar-20-october-due-low-harvest.html
http://www.bworldonline.com/main/content.php?id=17366
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10669329

The US might not be as affected as the rest of the world (since they are the leading wheat grower), but in the end, it is still a global economy.  Other areas of the world can be more affected by what is happening in Russia.

And as much as we all strive for quality, in the end, if it's a business, you do things because you need to make profit, and not just for myself and our partners, but also for the people that work for us and their families.  They all depend on us for their livelihood.

As a franchisee, I have to use an architect.  I have to show both Sbarro and the local malls or building landlords our plans for the restaurant.  Things need to be approved at different levels.  Malls want to make sure you take every safety precaution because gas is involved.

Sbarro may have become a food court concept in the US, but internationally, we've returned it to its roots: larger restaurants with more spacious dining areas and stricter attention to local, high-quality ingredients.  And yes, they consider us a "Type A" restaurant here even though we are a fast food concept.

When Sbarro's former CEO was here for a visit, I asked him why the concept had evolved to a strict food court only concept in the US.  I really wanted to know, because they had been successful in malls with larger restaurants in the past.  His reply was the malls consider pizza to be a rather low food-cost/high-profit item, so they charged pizza restaurants a higher rent per square footage.    In essence, they were forced to evolve. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
RoadPizza,

I can honestly say you have helped me out in PMs different times.  When I started making pizza you were one of the members that have helped me out with dough management and have continued to help me along the way in learning about pizzas.

My hat is off to you, in all you have done for me and in your pizza businesses.  :chef:

Thanks,

Norma

Offline rpc938

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »
e opened a store at Glorietta 5 the past year.  It's hard to get to, since the mall's promised bridgeway connecting G5 to the rest of Glorietta was overruled by the Makati City Hall.

Road Pizza,  i go to glorietta once a week.  if not for your reply, i would not even know that sbarro is in g5 !  Does anyone really make it to the 4th floor of that building. ?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »

pizzapan