Author Topic: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)  (Read 504 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:57:43 AM »
Lower hydration formula than usual: 63% water + 3% EVOO= 66% total.

Topped simply with passata, basil, grated whole milk mozzarella, a couple passes of EVOO and anchovy fillets over ~1/2 the pie.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
Crumbelievable!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline zwarbles

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: NY
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
That looks scrumptious Johnny!!   :drool:
Pat

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
Thanks zwarbles!

And a pic with the anchovies, almost drowned by the cheese boil.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline zwarbles

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: NY
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »
I don't care for anchovies, but the cheese looks mouth watering......
Pat

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »
I had the top heating element on for the last few minutes - just enough to get some decent cheese browning, besides wringing out the "juice" from the WMM  ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Undercarriage
Il miglior fabbro

Offline hotsawce

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 636
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
Awesome. What was your cooking method and temp?

Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »
36 hour poolish in the fridge, followed by 48 hr cold fermentation. 70% hydration + 3% evoo (73% total). Topped as a simple upside down pie. Dough made with 30% semola rimacinata di grani duro, the rest AP.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline corkd

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 275
  • Location: syracuse, ny
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
..Inspired by your efforts-- tartine bread workflow... 25% semolina, the rest local unbl BF... 75% HR,  ischia levain....I used EVO  in the pan & after dressing, not incorporated into dough.
Dressed with carmelized onion; grape tomato; uncured bacon; capers; ricotta pecorina....
My crumb not as open as yours, but still light & delicious.


Offline Johnny the Gent

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1643
  • Bake strong!
Re: Today's sicilian (A pictorial)
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:22:08 PM »
Looks and sounds great, corkd. I've tried without oil, and liked the results. A drawback with going no oil IMO is a less tender crumb after reheating - only an issue if you have leftovers.
Il miglior fabbro


 

pizzapan