Author Topic: Pizzarium Ingredient Weights vs. Dough Weight  (Read 223 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Pizzarium Ingredient Weights vs. Dough Weight
« on: November 29, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
It has been awhile since there were a lot of postings on the Pizzarium book by Gabriele Bonci and its recipes.  I have been revisiting the threads and the book this weekend because I am planning a (likely) pizza party next weekend and have been thinking of making these pies “buffet” style.

We can all do what we please in topping types, amounts and dough thickness factor.  But, I am trying to, at the least, start with Bonci’s intentions. 

In terms of thickness factor, it seems like his intent is around 0.11 or thereabouts.  I got this in two ways.  First, there is an Italy based forum in which Bonci himself posted guidance that a 30 X 40 pan should use 600 grams of dough (this translates to 0.114 ounces per square inch).  He also says you can go up a bit for a “focaccia” dough. 

Also, in the book, the translator indicates that the usually prescribed 350 gram dough ball should fit nicely in a 10 X 12 inch pan.  That translates to a thickness factor of 0.103.  There is no other mention of dough vs. pan size that I can find in the book.

I will call it 0.11 for now.

In almost every recipe, he calls for one dough ball of about 350 grams.  At a thickness factor of 0.11, that is about the dough weight needed for a 12 inch round pie.

The other ingredients in the very same recipes do not seem to match up to this dough ball size.  Examples:

- The “Classic Pizza” recipe calls for 500 grams of canned peeled tomatoes, 500 grams of buffalo mozzarella and 3 cups of basil leaves (100 grams).
     - The Potato pizza calls for 250 grams of mozzarella and 500 grams of potatoes. 
     - The Prosciutto Cotto and Bell Pepper pizza calls for 9 ounces of prosciutto and 1 kilogram of bell peppers,

Many of his pizzas looked heavily topped, but I keep looking at the ingredients and thinking “it can’t be.”

Does anyone know what he really meant?  Did he mean a different size dough, multiple dough balls, pizza with lead weights or ?

- Mitch

Online TXCraig1

Re: Pizzarium Ingredient Weights vs. Dough Weight
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
Who cares? Top it so it looks good to you.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
Who cares? Top it so it looks good to you.

I usually start out with a recipe as close to "as written" as possible.  Once I have that behind me, then I start doing what seems better/right of me.  So, given his proportions are so weird looking, I think I will end up doing exactly as you said - his numbers got too garbled in the translation somewhere along the way. 

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »
Bonci is A professional Pizaiollo he will not give The exact method he uses since cooking at home is different then his professional work.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »
Bonci is A professional Pizaiollo he will not give The exact method he uses since cooking at home is different then his professional work.

I understand.  I was only discussing the recipes in the cookbook.  The topping amounts vs dough amounts look very wrong.  I believe it is a mistake in the editing review.   

pizzapan