Author Topic: proofing time for deep-dish, sicilian, al taglio pizza  (Read 442 times)

Offline sallam

proofing time for deep-dish, sicilian, al taglio pizza
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Greetings

For how long do you proof the final dough in a square deep dish pan?
Mine is too think, TF is 0.22
Hydration: 60%
I use 16% sourdough starter, no yeast.
It takes the dough 7h to double in RTBF.

I've read that some recipes call for 1h final proofing, while others call for 2h, 4h and even 6h.
Which should I use to get max oven rise, with big holes in the crumb?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:37:16 AM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: proofing time for deep-dish, sicilian, al taglio pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:07:48 PM »
With many of the sourdough starters that I've worked with over the years it has taken upwards of 8 to 10-hours to achieve the desired rise during the final proofing period. This is based on using just the starter for the leavening (no yeast).
As for your "thickness factor" 0.22 equates to almost 25-ounces of dough weight for a 12-inch diameter deep-dish pizza. I think this is pretty heavy as I normally use a "dough loading factor" / "thickness factor" of 0.14 to 0.15 which figures out to 16 to 17-ounces for a 12-inch diameter deep-dish pan. Normal proofing typically calls for the dough to at least double in height/thickness during final proofing, the remainder of the finished crust thickness is achieved through oven spring.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline sallam

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »
Thanks Tom. If it takes 8-10h for proofing, then can I skip bulk fermentation and put the mixed dough straight in the pan, and still get good oven rise? or is it better to do both?
I'm a home baker.

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
When the dough first comes off of the mixer it may be difficult to open into a pizza skin as the dough can be quite tough, if you find that to be the case portion the dough immediately after mixing and form into balls then set aside to ferment at room temperature until the dough can be more easily formed into a pizza skin and placed into the pan. I've found that this normally takes between 1 and 2-hours. I like to do this in the afternoon or evening prior to making the pizzas that way the dough can final proof overnight and be ready to go on the following day.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline sallam

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:24:38 PM »
Excellent advice. Thanks very much Tom.
I'm a home baker.