Author Topic: Top is Cooking/Browning WAY before bottom is done?  (Read 102 times)

Offline bloodcraft87

Heres the recipe that we use for reference :  http://www.susanscookingschool.com/pizzadough.html

The top of the sicilian pizza ends up looking like this : http://www.passionateaboutpizzabook.com/pics/sicilian-style%20pizza.jpg

and the bottom is completely gummy and floppy, almost raw even after 25 minutes of cooking at 500 degrees in a steel cookie sheet.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.    Would tin foil work on top?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Top is Cooking/Browning WAY before bottom is done?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:43:43 AM »
Knowing nothing else, I'd guess that when you are topping the pizza, you are causing the dough to collapse under the toppings and creating a dense mass that won't bake.

It will be hard to really help without knowing a lot more about your process. I'd suggest posting exactly what you do, step by step, from the time the dough finishes mixing until the time the pizza goes in the oven - and pictures are worth a thousand words.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:24:59 AM »
Knowing nothing else, I'd guess that when you are topping the pizza, you are causing the dough to collapse under the toppings and creating a dense mass that won't bake.

It will be hard to really help without knowing a lot more about your process. I'd suggest posting exactly what you do, step by step, from the time the dough finishes mixing until the time the pizza goes in the oven - and pictures are worth a thousand words.

We usually butter the pans and then put the dough straight into the pan and push it out with our fingers or a small rolling pin, Put it in the oven after putting sauce and cheese on it and cook it on the bottom rack (oven has an element on bottom) for 25 m ins and the top still burns way before the bottom is ready

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:27 AM »
Do you let the dough rise in the pan or just put it in, top, and straight to the oven?

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:31:55 AM »
I guess my main question is how do I cook the bottom faster then the top? Any tips?  My cheese is fresh grated from a  1 pound block - Poly-o (whole milk) 

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:33:06 AM »
Do you let the dough rise in the pan or just put it in, top, and straight to the oven?

I dont rise the dough in the pan I rise it in bowls for about 6 hours before putting them into the pans and pushing it down with my hands/fingers into the corners etc. to fill out the bottom of it....I havent been leaving much of a gap between the edges of the pan i use push the dough right into the corners tightly

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:50:38 AM »
That's probably the biggest cause of your problem. It needs to rise in the pan. You push all the structure out of the risen dough when you press/roll it out.

Obviously, I haven't seen you pizza, but I'd guess that you may also be over-topping it.

Hopefully others that make this style more than I do will add their knowledge.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:09:51 PM »
Craig is right about your gummy issue, it needs to rise in the pan after you push it out. Depending on temperature, 1-2hrs is a good final proof time.

Regarding your cheese over-cooking, you need to par-bake the crust & sauce for 15-20 minutes, depending on oven temp, and then add cheese and cook the rest of the way.

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:14:57 PM »
how do I get the dough to go into the corners of the pan?   Am I supposed to touch or guide it at all?  So right after I finish a dough ball I put it right into the pan?

Here is the steel sheets im using :  http://images.wisegeek.com/plain-baking-sheet.jpg

Also what if I gave up butter the bottom of the pans? They are seasoned as i've been cooking pizza in them for about 3 months without washing. Would it crisp up better if I handle it less?

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:20:35 PM »
nevermind I see i have to rise it in the pan after I have pushed it out into the corners, what does this do exactly? thanks

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:23:32 PM »
nevermind I see i have to rise it in the pan after I have pushed it out into the corners, what does this do exactly? thanks

It allows the bubble structure in the dough to develop.

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:29:47 PM »
It allows the bubble structure in the dough to develop.

How do I tell when it has risen enough or is done and ready to cook? Once it rises in the pan do i touch it or push it down at all or do I start to put my stuff on?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:39:45 PM »
Don't push it down, or you will be right back where you started. You might be able to top and bake, or you might need to par-bake as JD suggested.

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:59:19 PM »
Don't push it down, or you will be right back where you started. You might be able to top and bake, or you might need to par-bake as JD suggested.

thank u good sir  :-*

pizzapan