Author Topic: White Sauce on Detroit Style Help  (Read 531 times)

Offline rparker

White Sauce on Detroit Style Help
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
Hi folks. I make a Gorgonzola Cream sauce once in a while to go with expensive beef, like a seared/roasted Tenderloin. It's a big hit. I tried it as a base for an experimental Detroit style one time. While the taste was intense, the sauce became quite watery, and subsequently, so did the pie. The dough held up, though.

I tried directly on dough in what I thought to be a moderate amount, and I tried the racing stripes. Is the answer as simple as just doing racing stripes post-bake? I sure would like to have some on the dough, but not at the cost of a runny pie.

A background on the sauce: This gorgonzola sauce is a very basic cream reduction type of sauce. It gets thicker after about 50-60 minutes of light boiling, and thickens up to a dense cheese brick after totally cooled down. 
4-cups Heavy Cream, 3-4 ounces crumbly Gorgonzola, 3-4 tbls parmesan, salt-pepper-parsley. Boil cream long time until thick and reduced, take of heat, add everything else, stir (well, whisk a lot at first), serve.

Anyone have any suggestions?

(ps - I have thought of doing a béchamel style instead.)

Offline hotsawce

Re: White Sauce on Detroit Style Help
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Check out Descendant Pizza for some cool pies made with post oven creams and sauces.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
That seems like a lot of cream - even reduced.  You might try adding some neutral cheese (like mozz) with some sodium citrate and liquid.

A more typical use of this would be for nacho cheese or mac & cheese - 265 grams of liquid (cream, milk, water, beer) with 11 grams sodium citrate heated and dissolved together, and 285 grams cheddar (or the like) added until melted.  This will make a smooth sauce that won't break (like Velveeta, but with more customization options).  No roux needed.

You could just do this with mozzarella and add gorgonzola and other flavorings to taste.  Warning/tip: If you use a strongly flavored liquid (like beer) that taste will really come through.  This could be good or bad depending on your intent.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
Detroit style pies handle toppings well. My white pies need the extra moisture from post oven sauces. I haven't found the need to add commercial stabilizers to any of my sauces

That seems like a lot of cream - even reduced.  You might try adding some neutral cheese (like mozz) with some sodium citrate and liquid.

A more typical use of this would be for nacho cheese or mac & cheese - 265 grams of liquid (cream, milk, water, beer) with 11 grams sodium citrate heated and dissolved together, and 285 grams cheddar (or the like) added until melted.  This will make a smooth sauce that won't break (like Velveeta, but with more customization options).  No roux needed.

You could just do this with mozzarella and add gorgonzola and other flavorings to taste.  Warning/tip: If you use a strongly flavored liquid (like beer) that taste will really come through.  This could be good or bad depending on your intent.