Author Topic: Sicilian Pizza Formula  (Read 254 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Sicilian Pizza Formula
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
I posted a few pictures of the Sicilian pie I made last night in Qarl's thread and Mitch requested the recipe.  So, I thought it would be easier to find here.

100% Best Bakers Flour (12.9% protein) 567g
  80% Water 454g
1.05% Salt 6g
   .9% IDY 5g
2.5% EVOO 14g

Here's my workflow:

Dissolve the IDY in water in my stand mixer bowl.  Then add EVOO.  In a separate bowl, add flour and mix in salt.  Add flour/salt mixture to stand mixer bowl and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.  Rest dough for 5 minutes and then mix at medium low speed for an additional 2 minutes.  On an oiled surface, do a series of 4 stretch and folds at 10 minute intervals.  Sometimes I do more than 4, but 4 works.  Due to the high hydration of this dough formula, I use a bench scraper to help with the stretch and folds.

I spray my Lloyd's pan lightly with EVOO from my Misto sprayer.  Here's the link to the pan if you are interested. http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/rectangular-pans-and-disks/sicilian-style-deep-dish.  Put the dough in the oiled pan and cover with lid.  Periodically, I will hand stretch the dough until it completely fills the pan.  Then put the dough in the fridge for 24 hours and bring it to room temperature for 2 hours prior to baking.  Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.  Bake with sauce only for 15 minutes and then another 7 minutes with cheese/toppings.  Remove from oven.  Using a spatula, lift up the pizza, tilt the pan and slide the pizza onto a cooling rack to prevent sogginess and let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy!

For a SD version of Sicilian dough, follow this link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28922.0
Mary Ann

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Sicilian Pizza Formula
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
 Mary Ann:

I really appreciate you posting this.  It looks almost exactly the same as the focaccia recipe in Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. Your salt is lower (his is 2%) and idy is lower (.7%). 

I love the recipe and it is my "go to".  Glad I am on the right track. In my attempt I lowered the hydration to 73 and upped the oil to 4.  I think I will try yours next but only after I try your sd version!

Thanks so much for taking the time. 

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
No problem, Mitch.  Glad I could help.  You could use this recipe for focaccia and ciabatta.  I love the sourdough version of this recipe.  I've even use remilled semolina flour in it.  So good  :drool:
Mary Ann

Offline Mdvpc

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
Mary Ann-What size is your Lloyd's pan?

Offline Mdvpc

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »
Mary Ann-Also, pls let me know what depth your pan is.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Michael,

My square pan is 14" with a depth of 2".
Mary Ann