Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 128468 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1020 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »
Giulio,

Your crumb structure looks fantastic!  :)  Great job.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1021 on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Yesterday I made pizza using the same recipe as last time (80% manitoba flour, 20% whole wheat flour and 80% hydration).

Absolutely perfect crumb in my book. Right up there with Matthew's creations. Would you please document your entire recipe workflow for us on this last bake? I for one would be interested to see your most recent approach.

John

parallei

« Reply #1022 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
Nice job Giulio.:chef:   I'm baking one up tonight and I hope it comes out as nice as yours!

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1023 on: March 31, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

Thanks guys!

@BeerdedOne: I donít know the protein content but the W value is 320.

@dellavecchia: of course; letís start from the ingredients:

400 g Manitoba flour
100 g whole wheat flour
400 g  water
7 g dry yeast
10 g salt
1 tbsp evo oil

I start by mixing 100g of water into the flour, then I add the yeast, mix, then another 100g of water, and so on until all the water is in.
At this point I mix in the salt, the oil and I let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
After that, I roll out the dough on a board and make about 8 folds.
Back into the bowl for 10 minutes, then another 8 folds.
I usually make 4-5 rounds of folding, depending on the consistency of the dough.
Finally I transfer the dough into a greased bowl, cover, and put in the refrigerator to rise for about 48 hours.

After two days, I take out the dough and let it warm at room temperature for 30 minutes, while preheating the oven at 250 įC.
I roll out the dough and transfer it to a floured pan (I use durum wheat semolina for this).
At this point I leave it to rest for another 15 minutes.
If Iím baking a red pizza, I mix some peeled tomatoes with oil, salt and oregano and spread it on top, otherwise I just season the pizza with some oil.

My total baking time is 25 minutes, divided as follows: for the first 15 minutes I put the pan in the lowest part of the oven, then I move it in the middle and leave it there for 7 minutes.
I take it out, add the chosen ingredients and put it back in the oven for 3 more minutes.

And, well I think thatís about it. :-)

Offline BeerdedOne

• La pizza Ť una storia d'amore passionale!
« Reply #1024 on: March 31, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »

After that, I roll out the dough on a board and make about 8 folds.

I roll out the dough and transfer it to a floured pan (I use durum wheat semolina for this).

Thanks for the information on your workflow, Giulio.  When you say 'roll out the dough'  are you spreading the dough by hand, a la Bonci, or do you actually roll with a pin in some fashion?

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1025 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
You're welcome, and yes, that is correct: I stretch out the dough by hand a la Bonci.

parallei

« Reply #1026 on: March 31, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
A thick ragu of ground lamb, pancetta, rosemary, basil, tomato. Potato and leeks with time, a bit of cheddar and mozz. Asparagus with mozz and some prosciutto after the fact.  Shrooms with thyme and onion, a bit of ham, and creme fraiche after the fact. No crumb shots, it all got snarfed.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1027 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18:54 AM »
A thick ragu of ground lamb, pancetta, rosemary, basil, tomato. Potato and leeks with time, a bit of cheddar and mozz. Asparagus with mozz and some prosciutto after the fact.  Shrooms with thyme and onion, a bit of ham, and creme fraiche after the fact. No crumb shots, it all got snarfed.

Paul - I love the topping combos. And I know people are starting to get irritated at my place when they see the camera. It means they have to wait to eat while I analyze the crumb!

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1028 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
You're welcome, and yes, that is correct: I stretch out the dough by hand a la Bonci.

Giulio - Thank you for your detailed workflow. I am curious, where did you learn how to make this style of pizza, and have you been developing dough by hand with bread or other styles?

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1029 on: April 01, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »

They look really scrumptious, well done.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1030 on: April 01, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »
Giulio - Thank you for your detailed workflow. I am curious, where did you learn how to make this style of pizza, and have you been developing dough by hand with bread or other styles?

John

You're welcome John.
I've been kneading and baking bread for quite a while now, I definetely started from this (You can actually make some nice bread using these recipes).
Then, last year, I came to know Bonci and his way of making pizza. Fascinated, I began a self-taught process of trial and error, which led to gradually better and better results.

parallei

« Reply #1031 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
Giulio and John,

Thanks for the kind words.  The toppings were good, though a bit prep work intensive.  There is something to be said for just throwing a roast in the oven!

Paul

Offline Matthew

« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
His book will be out tomorrow

parallei

« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up Matthew!  I was wonder what to get my wife for "her" Birthday.....

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1034 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
His book will be out tomorrow

Very exciting! I wonder how much will be specifically for home baking, or if it will go into detail about his real workflow.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1035 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
For those who would like to order it, it is available on Amazon.it:

http://www.amazon.it/gioco-pizza-magnifiche-ricette-Cucina/dp/8817055190

The book is in Italian. You can use your Amazon.com login information to check out - shipping is around 14 euro for 10-12 day delivery.

John

parallei

« Reply #1036 on: April 03, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks John.  Happily, we can deal with the Italiano around here.  My wife's is better than mine, and she enjoys reading the Italian papers everyday.  "But Honey, I thought you'd enjoy answering my translation question!".......I'm in.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1037 on: April 03, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »
Thanks John.  Happily, we can deal with the Italiano around here.  My wife's is better than mine, and she enjoys reading the Italian papers everyday.  "But Honey, I thought you'd enjoy answering my translation question!".......I'm in.

Paul - I am hoping my rusty Italian will get me through the texts. At least we can easily comprehend the recipes, since they will be easily identifiable with grams and obvious ingredients. Maybe a few of us can translate some of the recipes here - Peter might have to chime in about copyright though.

John

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #1038 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up Matthew!  I was wonder what to get my wife for "her" Birthday.....

That is hilarious!  :-D

parallei

« Reply #1039 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
The Game of the Pizza. The Magnificent Recipes of the King of Pizza  (or pretty close)

is on its way!