Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 128764 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1060 on: April 10, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
Thanks guys - I think I will start with .12 and see how it goes. I also don't think his dough is 70%, and it is lowered for the home cook - but I will try the mixed flour recipe this week as it is outlined.

John

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1061 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
John,
As far as the hydration, I have seen everything from 80% to 75% hydration levels for his straight dough recipes. I am guessing some of this maybe due to his use of a pasta madre (assuming a 55% hydrated PM) in his dough recipes. If I remember correctly, I once calculated that he could be 80% and 68% hydration based on his original formulas with and without the pasta madre, which is a fairly large ballpark or error.  The best suggestion for his formulation I can offer is... "good luck and let us know your results".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:14:07 PM by JimmyG »
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1062 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »
My book has not arrived yet but having been fortunate enough to attend the pizza course with Bonci. I will try to answer some questions on what I learned.
Bonci used in the course dough balls of 700 gr for a 30x40 cm pan so if I'm not mistaken the TF he use is .133, and the pizzas he make in the course were very similar in height to the ones in pizzarium.
On the hydration he start with 80% then after all ingredients are well integrated he adds more water but is not weighted, he always mention that you must feel the dough ill sesto senso. I guess after working with the dough that he ends up with 85% to 90% of hydratation.
I hope I was able to explain well and this info can help a little.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1063 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
I agree, he probably lowered the % for the home cook but I have no problem working a dough with 80%+ hydration by hand so I'll stick with that.

Thanks guys - I think I will start with .12 and see how it goes. I also don't think his dough is 70%, and it is lowered for the home cook - but I will try the mixed flour recipe this week as it is outlined.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1064 on: April 11, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »
That you all for the replies.

RamirOk - That is great information, thank you. I will use that TF for my book test. I think that the book has a misprint in stating 30x60 pan as standard. And his 350g ball as outlined is much too small.

But I will stick with the 70% hydration he states in the book, with 10% starter.

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1065 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
Let us see the results.  :)

That you all for the replies.

RamirOk - That is great information, thank you. I will use that TF for my book test. I think that the book has a misprint in stating 30x60 pan as standard. And his 350g ball as outlined is much too small.

But I will stick with the 70% hydration he states in the book, with 10% starter.

John

parallei

« Reply #1066 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »
What I've settled on is an overall HR of 80% (includes 10% starter of flour weight), 2% salt, 2% oil and .3% IDY.  TF = 0.15.  Above 80% HR, I have problems getting the dough into the pan.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1067 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
From the book: white wheat dough (but with 80% hydration instead of 70%).

parallei

« Reply #1068 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
I dropped my computer last night, so everything I see is a sort of reverse blue, light blue, and black.

Your pie looks good this even like this Giullo!  After getting the dough into the pan, did you let it rise at all before sending it into the oven?  I've taken to letting it rise a bit in the pan.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1069 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »
Thank you.  :) No, I didn't let it rise in the pan.

I dropped my computer last night, so everything I see is a sort of reverse blue, light blue, and black.

Your pie looks good this even like this Giullo!  After getting the dough into the pan, did you let it rise at all before sending it into the oven?  I've taken to letting it rise a bit in the pan.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1070 on: April 15, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
From the book: mixed dough (50% buratto wheat flour, 25% white spelt flour, 25% whole spelt flour).
I'm very happy with this one: it's probably the best tasting pizza I've done so far.
I've changed the tomato to a more coarsely shred and less watery type and seasoned it with a mix of dry thyme and oregano from my garden.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1071 on: April 15, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
Giulio,
The dough and the finished product looks amazing. That is one of the nicest hole structures I have seen posted on this thread to date. :chef: What brands of spelt were you using? The M.Marino brand or another one?
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1072 on: April 15, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
Giulio - Amazing bake. Did you do the 18-24 hours refrigerated using a starter or IDY?

John

parallei

« Reply #1073 on: April 15, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
Great Giulio. :chef:  The dough baked up with an lovely color.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1074 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »
Giulio,

Beautiful!  :chef: The crumb color is gorgeous.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1075 on: April 16, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
If anyone can translate, I would appreciate knowing what Gabriele Bonci said in the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8ZVt79rbE&amp;feature=channel&amp;list=UL" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8ZVt79rbE&amp;feature=channel&amp;list=UL</a>

Norma

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1076 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
Another interesting video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyi6gyYUIXc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyi6gyYUIXc</a>

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1077 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
Thanks all.  :)

@Jim: I used white spelt from Antico Mulino Rosso and whole Spelt from Demeter. The Buratto was from Mulino Marino instead.
@John: I used dry yeast for this one.

Offline Greenline

« Reply #1078 on: April 19, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
If anyone can translate, I would appreciate knowing what Gabriele Bonci said in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8ZVt79rbE&feature=channel&list=UL

Not word for word of course:
- the book contains about 80 recipes, thanks a lot to Elisia Menduni for putting it on paper and to Rizzoli for publishing it
- every single recipe has been cooked and tested in a home oven, you can do it at home and in fact you _must_ do it at home! :D
- why a book? one of the main goals of the book is to promote the use of fresh and genuine ingredients, not only for pizza but every day
- opens the book to page with tomato pizza: this is one of the simplest yet most important pizza done at Pizzarium, where it's done with organic tomato
- video shows the preparation, he puts 6 "big spoons" of tomato on the pan, the tomato is prepared with salt, oil and a little bit of concentrated tomato, all emulsionated with a mixer. After the pizza is cooked it adds some origano that comes from the Etna area in Sicily and e.v.o. oil
- then pizza with mushrooms, done with all varieties of mushrooms that can be found during the entire year, on a red (tomato) base, it's a wonderful pizza
- then special pizzas like for example a focaccia with a chestnut cream, pidgeon and radish... fantastic
- bye!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Not word for word of course:
- the book contains about 80 recipes, thanks a lot to Elisia Menduni for putting it on paper and to Rizzoli for publishing it
- every single recipe has been cooked and tested in a home oven, you can do it at home and in fact you _must_ do it at home! :D
- why a book? one of the main goals of the book is to promote the use of fresh and genuine ingredients, not only for pizza but every day
- opens the book to page with tomato pizza: this is one of the simplest yet most important pizza done at Pizzarium, where it's done with organic tomato
- video shows the preparation, he puts 6 "big spoons" of tomato on the pan, the tomato is prepared with salt, oil and a little bit of concentrated tomato, all emulsionated with a mixer. After the pizza is cooked it adds some origano that comes from the Etna area in Sicily and e.v.o. oil
- then pizza with mushrooms, done with all varieties of mushrooms that can be found during the entire year, on a red (tomato) base, it's a wonderful pizza
- then special pizzas like for example a focaccia with a chestnut cream, pidgeon and radish... fantastic
- bye!

Greenline,

Thanks so much for the translation!  :)  I appreciate that very much since I can't speak Italian.

Norma

pizzapan