Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 120003 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1080 on: April 28, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
If anyone is interested this is a new video pizzeriabosco uploaded on YouTube about Pizza in teglia and how he shapes it in the pan.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMh8uFzPARI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMh8uFzPARI</a>

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

parallei

« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
Thanks Norma.  I noticed he does something I've found that helps in getting a more even oven spring.  That would be to sort of pinch down the edges a bit after it is in the pan, like Bonci has you do when you start to stretch/form the ought on the bench.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: April 28, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
Paul,

I didnít know Bonci also sort of pinches the edges a bit after it is in the pan. Thanks for the tip!  :)

Norma

parallei

« Reply #1083 on: April 28, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »
I didnít know Bonci also sort of pinches the edges a bit after it is in the pan.

I don't think Bonci does it when he gets it into the pan, just when he starts of form the dough on the bench.  It is just something that works for me when get it into the pan also.  I looks like the guy in the video might be doing it also....

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: April 28, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »
I don't think Bonci does it when he gets it into the pan, just when he starts of form the dough on the bench.  It is just something that works for me when get it into the pan also.  I looks like the guy in the video might be doing it also....

Paul,

Thanks for explaining!  :)

Norma

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1085 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:21 AM »
He does pinch the edges moments before he transfer the dough into the pan then if there is any bubbles left on the edges he do it again. It's rare because with his experience when the dough is in the pan the bubbles are already well distributed but I saw him doing it.

I think doing that is more about don't left the edges rise too much sliding the toopings to the center and ending without toopings looking like a normal pizza cornicione.

And thank you for the great video Norma.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:25:06 AM by RamirOk »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: April 29, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »
He does pinch the edges moments before he transfer the dough into the pan then if there is any bubbles left on the edges he do it again. It's rare because with his experience when the dough is in the pan the bubbles are already well distributed but I saw him doing it.

I think doing that is more about don't left the edges rise too much sliding the toopings to the center and ending without toopings looking like a normal pizza cornicione.

RamirOk,

Thanks for posting that you saw Bonci pinching the edges of the dough moments before he transferred  the dough into the pan. and he might do it again after it is in the pan, if there are any bubbles left.  You are probably right that pinching the edges helps with toppings migrating. 

PizzeriaBosco does have many good videos on his channel about pizza alla teglia romana if someone hasnít viewed them before.

I especially like this one that shows some of his pizza alla teglia romana.  I think it was posted before, but I love the music, so I am posting it again for anyone that might be interested.  I can become mesmerized by listening to the music and seeing the dough and pizza in teglia.   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7x2ffGJ1w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7x2ffGJ1w</a>

I think this is Pizzeria Bosco website. http://www.pizzeriaboscotempio.it/

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1087 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
I especially like this one that shows some of his pizza alla teglia romana.  I think it was posted before, but I love the music, so I am posting it again for anyone that might be interested.  I can become mesmerized by listening to the music and seeing the dough and pizza in teglia.   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7x2ffGJ1w

Norma,

I agree. The music is beautiful. You and Steve might want to learn the lyrics to the song and sing it as you are making pizzas at market. I think that will help sell more pizza.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1088 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
Norma,

I agree. The music is beautiful. You and Steve might want to learn the lyrics to the song and sing it as you are making pizzas at market. I think that will help sell more pizza.

Peter

Peter,

Whenever I listen to Italian music I love to hear it, but sure donít understand anything they are singing.  That particular video by Pizzeria Bosco really gets to me because there are all those beautiful pizza alla teglia romana, in addition to the dough and music. 

When I was listening to that video and watching it this morning I was trying to sing along, but my singing voice is bad.  My daughter said you sure arenít getting that right, but I ignored her and kept singing along.  :-D I must have listened to that video about 8 times or more. 

Steve has a much better singing voice than I do and can say the Italian words much better than I can.  :) I had thought of using my radio at market with a cassette player, but donít even remember how to use the cassette player or record on it.   Maybe some good Italian music would help to sell pizzas better.  Steve likes Bluegrass music though, so I donít know how he would like Italian music playing all day long or me having him sing at market.   ;D

I sure wish I could offer pizza alla teglia romana at market. 

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #1089 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
Mamma MIA!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:51:19 AM by Ev »

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1090 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
My latest experiment: 100% whole spelt.
I'm happy with this one as well.  :)
Probably not for everyone as its flavor is very intense.
Tonight I've eaten it with some simple sauteed broccoli and anchovies and I loved it.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: May 01, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Probably not for everyone as its flavor is very intense.

Beautiful Giulio. Can you describe the flavor of the spelt you are using? I have a locally milled spelt that I have been experimenting with, and it has a distinct floral taste to it - almost hard to describe. Very overpowering.

Also, would you care to share any specific adaptations you have done to accommodate the spelt? I have yet to produce anything I want to share with the group, and was wondering if you have insight using the product.

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1092 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
Thanks John.
For this bake I used the same spelt I used with the previous one (mixed dough), which is a standard whole spelt I buy where I live.

It has a strong, corny taste, a bit nutty, naturally salty.
It's slightly less crispy than wheat, but it's also less chewy.

As for differences in the dough, I've noticed two things:

1. the dough is softer, and thus harder to manage. I think it's able to absorb a little less water. Maybe next time I'll try with 75%.
2 it seems to rise faster than wheat, under equal conditions.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1093 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
Giulio,
I am glad you have had such successful results with the spelt. Your pizzas looks great.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: May 04, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
Here is the white dough and the whole wheat/whole spelt dough from the book. Except my hydration was above 80%. The whole flour is 50% bolted whole wheat and 50% bolted whole spelt, both from a local farm called Four Star Farms. The flour was milled last week. I have gotten over my flip-into-pan inadequacies after seeing the huge peaks and valleys in the book pictures. I will say, though, that the spelt is very difficult to work with at these hydrations. The white dough is CM Artisan Bakers Craft, and worked very well for this workflow.

The whole wheat/spelt is incredibly delicious.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1095 on: May 04, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
One more shot.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1096 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
John,

Fantastic!  :)

Norma

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1097 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
John, those are beautiful!  What was the hydration you used for the white dough?  I should try this style of pizza next time.  Would you say that this style of pizza is closer to making bread? 

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1098 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
John, those are beautiful!  What was the hydration you used for the white dough?  I should try this style of pizza next time.  Would you say that this style of pizza is closer to making bread? 

Marlon

Thanks Norma and Marlon!

Marlon - Yes, this pizza is bread from top to bottom. Pizza in teglia done the traditional way is not, but Bonci has basically made the style fit his bread baking workflow. You mix and then autolyse, stretch and fold over the course of a few hours, then ball (oblong), and proof or retard. Just before baking you gently press out the dough, flip it over your arm, and place in a steel pan. Cook at 475 or 500 for 10-15 minutes. He uses 10% or 15% starter, 4% oil, 2% salt, and 70% hydration. Mine was 82%.

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1099 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Thanks John!  How long do you take it out of the refrigerator before pressing and baking?  I will definitely give this a try very soon.  I already have too much dough made for tomorrow to make NY and NP pies.   :-D

Marlon