Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 164703 times)

Offline giulio.fabris

Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1100 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:43 AM »
John,

those look great, well done!

Good to hear I'm not the only one finding it hard to handle spelt with this much water.  :-D

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1101 on: May 05, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
Wow, that looks great John, your hole structure is dynamite. Your locally milled spelt sounds like a winner too. I wish I could say the same. I only have access to Vitaspelt at Whole Paycheck Foods. I am not sure what spelt variety Vitaspelt is milling, but it tastes like watered down whole wheat. I was pretty disappointed with that brand. Ill have to look into sourcing some different brands so I can try it out.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1102 on: May 05, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »
Wow, that looks great John, your hole structure is dynamite. Your locally milled spelt sounds like a winner too. I wish I could say the same. I only have access to Vitaspelt at Whole Paycheck Foods. I am not sure what spelt variety Vitaspelt is milling, but it tastes like watered down whole wheat. I was pretty disappointed with that brand. Ill have to look into sourcing some different brands so I can try it out.

Thanks Jimmy - If you want to try the Four Star Farms spelt, they will ship it to you. It is expensive, but not any more expensive than the Marino spelt at Williams Sonoma. And it is heads and shoulders better.

http://www.fourstarfarms.com/flour.html

A note on the reheat today. The whole wheat/spelt was still light and moist. And the flavor was even more nutty and floral. I guess it equates to sourdough bread being better the next day.

Marlon - I retarded this batch for about 6 hours in the fridge, but you do not need to have a cold stage.

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1103 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
Speaking of flours...Given that the flours of M. Marino are shipped from Cuneo and shipping costs are quite high, I have been looking for alternatives.
These are the ones I have been using recently.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1104 on: May 13, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
A couple of thoughts about this last bake.

First of all, I think the mixed grain dough is the one I like the most among the ones presented in Bonci's book.
Probably the spelt-only dough has a more distinctive taste, but I find it quite hard to work with. The mixed grain dough is a great compromise, so to speak.

Secondly, as you can see, this is not a particularly flashy combo of crust and filling, but for me it's a special one, because it's filled with a bunch of wild hop shoots I gathered (I steamed them, then stir-fried them with evo oil, garlic and chillies).

Anyway, we're at the end of the season for wild hop shoots, so I'll have to wait until next year to prepare them again.
Better pig out and finish the whole pizza!  :-D

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1105 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
Giulio,
That pizza looks killer and your whole structure is excellent. I have never tried wild hop shoots before, it sound enticing. I know in my area pea shoots and tendrils are coming into season which are always delicious. 

On a side note, Giulio do you know if Bonci ever mentions in his book the gram proportions for his lievito madre or what flours he is using to create it?
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1106 on: May 14, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
Guilio - What a beautiful creation. I love that you are using foraged, wild ingredients.

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1107 on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Jimmy and John, thank you.
I suggest you try them (the hop shoots) if you can find them.  :)
Regarding lievito madre, if I'm not mistaken, he indicates 150 g for 1 Kg of flour. To prepare it, he uses rye flour.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1108 on: May 14, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »
Giulio,
Sorry, I was not being specific enough. What I meant to ask is, did he provide a recipe for the lievito madre itself. Right now mine is about 55% water by total flour weight-no rye but I may have to start adding some in. 

Offline Greenline

« Reply #1109 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
In the last few weeks after buying Bonci's book I've been experimenting with his method and with Tibiona's "strong" spelt flour (http://www.tibiona.it/shop/index.php?cPath=24_36_361), a selection of spelt grains that should work better for pan-baked pizza.

First experiment is: 260g spelt, 120g Kamut type "0", 305g water, 2.8g fresh yeast, 15g sunflower seed oil, 7.5g salt. 14 hours in the fridge, 4.5 out, baked at 250°C for 15 minutes. It's a good pizza.

Second experiment is more water: 240g spelt, 120g Kamut type "0", 325g water (90%), 10g e.v.o. oil, 7.5g salt, 2.8g fresh yeast. It's very good, better than the previous one IMO.

Third experiment is more water still: 235g spelt, 125g Kamut type "0", 360g water (100%), 10g sunflower seed oil, 7.5g salt, 2.8g LdB yeast. Despite some problems putting it in the pan (it's not easy to handle) the flavor was excellent, the best ever according to my wife.

Four experiment (but last of a series) is mixing wholewheat flour: 90g wholewheat mix of T. dicoccum and T. spelta, 285g spelt, 305g water (80%), 10g sunflower seed oil, 7.5g salt, 2.8g LdB fresh yeast. Flavor-wise, I consider this the most promising road: the pizza is delicious and, just maybe, it starts to have some "Bonciness" to it.

All recipes are for a 30x40 cm pan, during the last couple of attempts I've been trying to get close to 700g with this pan and it seems to work for me. All in all I'm quite happy with this flour, and with Bonci's method. It hardly takes 10 minutes of work to prepare the dough, yet the results are very good! :)

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1110 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »
That looks great Greenline and thanks for all the details. My book just arrive but I still can't find spelt flour in my area  ??? but I will keep searching or find other alternatives and make some experiments and of course share the results.

BTW did you left the other 3 experiments to ferment for the same time as the first one?

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1111 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:26 AM »
@JimmyG: I'll have a look and let you know.  :)

@Greeline: those look terrific, especially the last one!

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #1112 on: May 17, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
Greenline,
Great looking pizza. How are you liking the Kumut flour? I started working with it several months ago and it has quickly became one of my favorite flours.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1113 on: May 21, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
Yesterday I prepared a batch to try a couple of things. Flour and water as follows: 40% wholemeal wheat, 60% wholemeal spelt, 80% water.
This time I used 1/2 the yeast though.

I'm no expert in dough rising theory, and I am a bit confused about how these variations in yeast quantity actually affect the dough.
Would anyone care to give me some pointers?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #1114 on: May 27, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
85% Senza teglia

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1115 on: May 28, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
Wow - what a crumb. I see charring. Was it done in the WFO?

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Wow - what a crumb. I see charring. Was it done in the WFO?

John

Thx John. It was baked in my electric pizza oven.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1117 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
Pizzarium attempt using Jim’s “epoxy method,” that I posted about it at Reply 90 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19129.msg189563.html#msg189563

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1118 on: May 30, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Pizzarium attempt using Jim’s “epoxy method,” that I posted about it at Reply 90 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19129.msg189563.html#msg189563

Norma

That's one of your nicest crumbs ever. Very beautiful! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1119 on: May 30, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
That's one of your nicest crumbs ever. Very beautiful! 

Regards,

TinRoof

TinRoof,

Thanks for your nice comment!  :) I am not sure, but think the crumb might have been too soft.  The taste of the crumb was very good, but I liked the attempted Pizzairum crumb better at Reply 435 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.msg126259.html#msg126259

Does anyone want to suggest another TF?

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #1120 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Norma

I'll have 3 slices and a cold beer please! Does the market let you sell beer with your pizza? ;D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1121 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Norma

I'll have 3 slices and a cold beer please! Does the market let you sell beer with your pizza? ;D

Dave,

Thanks!  Market doesn’t let me sell beer, but you can bring your own.   ;)

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #1122 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
 I thought for sure you'd tell me you had a secret stash hidden under the counter for us! :-D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1123 on: June 09, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
After several failed attempts I was able to make my own starter and after more failed attempts and some very frustrating outcomes. Now I know my starter  a little better and I'm getting results that I think are good enough to post here.

25 hrs of cold fermentation and 2hrs to proof.

20% of white starter.
84% hydratation.
.133 TF

Just want to say to anyone that is hesitating to start messing around with starters, go for it, even with all those problems you'll probably have at the beginning. It's really worth it.

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1124 on: June 14, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
Haven't made these for a while.

One thing I struggle with is getting a good dark bottom crust. My pan is fairly thick and I am using an 1.5 inch thick slab of granite in the oven. I put it in the oven on full heat for an hour.

Would I be better off with a thinner pan?