Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 132975 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1120 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Norma

I'll have 3 slices and a cold beer please! Does the market let you sell beer with your pizza? ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1121 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Norma

I'll have 3 slices and a cold beer please! Does the market let you sell beer with your pizza? ;D

Dave,

Thanks!  Market doesn’t let me sell beer, but you can bring your own.   ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1122 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
 I thought for sure you'd tell me you had a secret stash hidden under the counter for us! :-D

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1123 on: June 09, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
After several failed attempts I was able to make my own starter and after more failed attempts and some very frustrating outcomes. Now I know my starter  a little better and I'm getting results that I think are good enough to post here.

25 hrs of cold fermentation and 2hrs to proof.

20% of white starter.
84% hydratation.
.133 TF

Just want to say to anyone that is hesitating to start messing around with starters, go for it, even with all those problems you'll probably have at the beginning. It's really worth it.

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1124 on: June 14, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
Haven't made these for a while.

One thing I struggle with is getting a good dark bottom crust. My pan is fairly thick and I am using an 1.5 inch thick slab of granite in the oven. I put it in the oven on full heat for an hour.

Would I be better off with a thinner pan?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1125 on: June 14, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
After several failed attempts I was able to make my own starter and after more failed attempts and some very frustrating outcomes. Now I know my starter  a little better and I'm getting results that I think are good enough to post here.

25 hrs of cold fermentation and 2hrs to proof.

20% of white starter.
84% hydratation.
.133 TF

Just want to say to anyone that is hesitating to start messing around with starters, go for it, even with all those problems you'll probably have at the beginning. It's really worth it.

Those slices are taken right out of the book! Really well done.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1126 on: June 14, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
Haven't made these for a while.

One thing I struggle with is getting a good dark bottom crust. My pan is fairly thick and I am using an 1.5 inch thick slab of granite in the oven. I put it in the oven on full heat for an hour.

Would I be better off with a thinner pan?

Are you oiling the pan or adding oil to your formula? Is the pan dark steel?

John

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1127 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Are you oiling the pan or adding oil to your formula? Is the pan dark steel?

John

Oil on pan and in dough. Pan isn't dark steel but is quite thick and weighty.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1128 on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
Thanks John.

P-TSAR,
The problem is the pan, in the course Bonci recommended to buy the thinnest and cheapest aluminum dark pans, the ones he use are very thin. One thing you can do is to put the pan on the bottom of your oven and when half of the time that you use to bake is past transfer the pan to the middle.
I would remove the slab of granite from the oven to see if that helps, my pans are also thick (http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/rectangular-pans-and-disks/sicilian-style-deep-dish) but I don't have problems with the bottom of my pizzas (good browning) and I don't oil the pan, I don't need to they never stick.
Hope you get better results next time.

parallei

« Reply #1129 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
 RamirOk - Nice ;D

P-TSAR - Try starting off the first 10 min or so on the bottom, on a stone.  Then, as RamirOk suggested move the pan up to the middle.  Also, you could try preheating to 25 deg (F) more than you plan to do the bake at, and turn it down after you place the pan on the stone.  I've done that before....

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1130 on: June 14, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
Thanks guys. I will go out and buy some cheapo pans tomorrow and try you suggestions.

Offline P-TSAR

• Mr Buck Eats
« Reply #1131 on: June 15, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
The other question I have regards gluten development. Will more stretch and folds create a more elastic crumb? I usually do 4 or 5.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1132 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »
It's not only about the number of times you do it, the time is also very important. Right now that in my area we have temps of 38 °C I give my dough 4 every 30 min so that give me a 2 hrs of bulk fermentation, first 30 min without salt and oil and the las 2 stretch and folds I'm very careful to not degas the dough, but it depends of your room temp. It needs to hold it's shape, with time you are going to notice when is ready by touching the dough.

Offline Greenline

« Reply #1133 on: July 08, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
After several weeks of working with the method described in Bonci's book I am more and more hooked by the simplicity of the method and the results it can provide. I think one of the key factors is paying attention to the temperatures from start to finish. Anyway this is the "impasto misto" (1/2 Buratto, 1/4 whole spelt, 1/4 spelt) exactly as described in the book, except I'm starting with 75% hydration (it will become about 70% after all "rigeneri" and forming). I'm quite happy with it!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1134 on: July 09, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Greenline,
Your results look really great.  How would you describe the taste of this mixture?  Please fill us in on more details of the recipe and preparation.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Greenline

« Reply #1135 on: July 09, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi Bob, the taste of Buratto has a lot of personality so the flavor of this pizza is quite peculiar, some may not even like it! We love it though, and it really shines with the right toppings (for a gentler taste it's possible to replace some Buratto with spelt). The recipe is: 385g Buratto, 195g wholewheat spelt, 195g spelt, 580g water (fridge cold to compensate high temperatures here), 32g e.v.o. oil, 6.2g fresh yeast, 16g salt for two 30x40cm pans. All flours from Mulino Marino. Standard Bonci method: mix, 1 hour rest, 3 rigeneri, fridge for about 18 hours, 2 gentle three-folds and proofing for about two hours and a half (I aim for 19°C at the center of the dough).

Offline Bob1

« Reply #1136 on: July 09, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
Thanks Bob,
I will try it if I get some free time.  It will be interesting to see how the mix tastes.  I see your finished temp is very low to compensate for the .8% yeast.  I assume the total mix technique would be similar to what you did at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.860.html post 868.  to keep things cold.  I tried that recipe and cooked it in a blue steel pan.  It was nice to actually hand knead for a change.  I was really happy with the technique and results for post 868.  It was the first time I kneaded a drier dough and then incorporated that much water into it.  I ended up with a high hydration dough that was velvety smooth and not sticky to the touch.  Thanks for you great posts.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1137 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
From a ladies blog, that a member of Professional Food Society took a trip to Italy to learn how to make Bonci’s pizzas and then showed people how to make Bonci pizzas. http://theheritagecook.com/roman-pizza-in-california-on-festive-friday/

That dough sure looks wet in the container.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #1138 on: July 30, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
Hi Guys, i am still reading the Topic, there is allot of info. I was at Pizzarium end of May wen in vacation with my wife. the Pizza was great, delicious and very light!!

here are the pics.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1139 on: July 30, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Great pictures. Thanks. I am always kicking myself for not going there when we were in Rome a couple of years back.  Maybe I will get to go back one of these days. 

What is that in the bags up on the shelf? Is it flour? 

Regards,

TinRoof

pizzapan