Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 120005 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1220 on: December 14, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Yes, you want 15% of active levain, just as you would use for your Tartine loaf. I would stretch the bulk out to 3.5 hours if you are cold fermenting.

John

Offline whygee

« Reply #1221 on: December 14, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Yes, you want 15% of active levain, just as you would use for your Tartine loaf. I would stretch the bulk out to 3.5 hours if you are cold fermenting.

John

Great, so if I understand correctly, I wouldn't need to make a pre-ferment 12hrs in advance?

Thanks for the comment on the bulk proof, that's also what's recommended in the Tartine book so that makes sense.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1222 on: December 15, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Great, so if I understand correctly, I wouldn't need to make a pre-ferment 12hrs in advance?

Thanks for the comment on the bulk proof, that's also what's recommended in the Tartine book so that makes sense.

Technically, 15% of flour active starter is a preferment. So just make sure it is active.

John

Offline whygee

« Reply #1223 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
So I finally tried this recipe and I was surprised to see that my pizza stayed completely flat like a pancake. There were only a few tiny bubbles in the dough.

I did a 30 mins autolyse, followed by 10 mins in the mixer and then a bulk fermentation of 3h30 with S&F every 30 mins. The dough was rested in the fridge for 24 hr and I took it out 2hrs baking it for proofing.

I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. Maybe I need to go through this thread again...

Offline malvanova

« Reply #1224 on: January 12, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
sounds as if your preferment was not active , did the preferment double in volume before you applied it to your flour mixture, did your bulk become airy when you tootook it out of the fridge? if not only one thing comes to mind- non active preferment-

Phil

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1225 on: January 17, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »
I saw what I thought were amazing pictures of pizza in teglia from Massino Bosco on facebook different times.  He just uploaded a video of his dough.  It is 95% hydration.  I think Bosco also used the same flour as Gabrielle Bonci uses sometimes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWYRUA1yZ_g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWYRUA1yZ_g</a>

This is another video that Bosco uses 100% hydration.  I find it interesting that neither doughs stick to his hands or fingers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdnmiMZk-g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdnmiMZk-g</a>

This is another video from Bosco of Teglia romana

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V1QSyxYrCk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V1QSyxYrCk</a>

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline sub

« Reply #1226 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
Anthony Bourdain visits Rome and try the best pizza at Pizzarium

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdqE6K6YA7Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdqE6K6YA7Q</a>

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:39:55 PM by Steve »

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1227 on: February 27, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
There's nothing particularly new in my workflow or in my dough but tonight I've tried a topping I hadn't tried at home yet: 4 formaggi!

My personal take at this classic includes gorgonzola, smoked caciocavallo, stracchino and some seasoned goat cheese.

The result was really tasty so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures.  :)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1228 on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
That looks scrumptious!  Well done, and nice photos too! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1229 on: February 27, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
That looks scrumptious!  Well done, and nice photos too! 

Regards,

TinRoof

^^^ 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1230 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Made these last night inspired by this wonderful thread:

50% 5Stagioni 00
20% Semola
30% Central Milling Spelt 85
84% Water
5% Culture
2.8% Salt

24 hrs bulk fermented @ 60F + 6 hrs balled @ 68-70F. 

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1231 on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
I think this might be my best one so far.
Two differences from my usual workflow:

1. The flour: I used "Caputo 00" flour (I bought a good quantity of the red packaging one last week). It's a strong flour, about W 300 I think.
2. Sourdough: in addition to the usual amount of yeast, I added a dry sourdough mix which I bought together with the Caputo flour. I added 5% of the weight of the flour, so about 5g in this case.

I'll have to repeat this same recipe a couple of times but I think these new additions made the difference!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #1232 on: April 10, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Bakeshack and Guilio......very nice looking pies!

We have another Pizzarium fan.

Paulie is in Rome right now and Tweeted that Pizzarium is "Rome's best pizza".

Egg & Potato, Sliced Zucchini with Smoked Sturgeon, Tomato Sauce (plain) and Cherry Tomatoes were among the offerings on display.

Sowrdfish and spinach was also a big hit. --K
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:42:38 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #1233 on: April 10, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
Wow, haven't been in this thread in a while, gotta say that those pies look awesome. Definitely an inspiration to try some high hydration doughs as much as a I hate working with them!

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1234 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:22 AM »
Great thread - I enjoy making (and eating) this type of pizza a lot.  One of my favorites: pizza topped with boiled potato (with salt and saffron), mozzarella, pecorino and EVOO. And little bits of bacon or sausage.

Pizza con le patate:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1235 on: April 15, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
I'm really looking to try making this pizzarium style pizza, but there's so many different versions here I don't even know where to begin.

First, where can I find Bonci's book, and has it been translated into English?
Secondly, what pans? I see some use blue steel with great results, but thin aluminum pans are also recommended.
Finally, is a levain necessary, or do you guys think I could use some old dough as a percentage of the water weight? Just interested in trying something a little different.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1236 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
You could read my reply 1023 and try that recipe, adapting it to your needs.
You can find Bonci's book on Amazon but I don't think it has been translated.
I'm happy with my aluminum pans but I know blue steel ones are very good too.

I'm really looking to try making this pizzarium style pizza, but there's so many different versions here I don't even know where to begin.

First, where can I find Bonci's book, and has it been translated into English?
Secondly, what pans? I see some use blue steel with great results, but thin aluminum pans are also recommended.
Finally, is a levain necessary, or do you guys think I could use some old dough as a percentage of the water weight? Just interested in trying something a little different.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #1237 on: July 05, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
Made my first attempt this weekend. 75% hydration, 24 hr cold ferment, topped and baked straight away on the middle rack for about 15 minutes. 00 flour.

Not sure if it should have went longer but very different from any square I've made. Bottom was as crisp as it could get without getting heat from a stone, and though cooked through and very airy the crumb had a different texture than any square I've made... Soft and tender but still kind of "bread-like."

Normal, or am I looking for something stiffer? Any additional tips or suggestions welcome

BTW: Neapolitan basil we grew on the pie.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:43:58 AM by hotsawce »

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1238 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Bottom was as crisp as it could get without getting heat from a stone, and though cooked through and very airy the crumb had a different texture than any square I've made... Soft and tender but still kind of "bread-like."

Normal, or am I looking for something stiffer? Any additional tips or suggestions welcome

Looks pretty tasty to me.  I've mostly used a bread  flour for these pies, so I can't comment on the use of 00 (I'm assuming Pizzeria) directly. I'm not sure what you mean by stiffer.  I've gone into the 90's for an HR.  Maybe the bread flour gives a bit more "chew".

Looks great.

Offline sub

« Reply #1239 on: August 30, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
toppings

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcyUVjVYEHQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcyUVjVYEHQ</a>