Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 145105 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1260 on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
I tried out a new pizzarium inspired dough formula a couple days ago (blend of whole wheat and bread flour, 80% hydration), and considering this first attempt being a trial run of sorts, I'm pleased with the results. I'll post w.flow details later on, for those interested.

1st pic - Smoked trout, cream cheese, passata and dill.
2nd pic - scrambled eggs (organic, farm fresh - nearly orange yolks!), smoked trout
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:02:38 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1261 on: November 29, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
Those scrambled eggs are ooozing my name....you got some real nice pizzas there Mr. Johnny. Take a bow!  :chef:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:21:19 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1262 on: November 29, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
I really like those toppings Johnny. Well done.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1263 on: November 29, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »
I tried out a new pizzarium inspired dough formula a couple days ago (blend of whole wheat and bread flour, 80% hydration), and considering this first attempt being a trial run of sorts, I'm pleased with the results. I'll post w.flow details later on, for those interested.

1st pic - Smoked trout, cream cheese, passata and dill.
2nd pic - scrambled eggs (organic, farm fresh - nearly orange yolks!), smoked trout

Insanely awesome. Maybe a little black truffle oil on the scrambled eggs?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1264 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #1265 on: January 08, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
I decided to give a pizzarium-eque pizza a try the other day.  It was not pizzarium in the sense of the dough, but rather I was just using stuff up that was in the refrigerator, hence the weird ingredients. I handled the dough as I would any artisan bread dough.  The one section of pizza is oven-roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, and american neufchatel cheese (read: lowfat cream cheese).  One other section is oven-roasted cherry tomatoes that were kind of old and wrinkly, sauteed spinach (in garlic powder and butter) and parmesan.  The last topped section was canned mushrooms that had been pickled overnight (in white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and oregano), one-week-expired Boursin cheese, and oven-roasted garlic cloves.  I left one fourth of the pie untopped just to eat with peanut butter and jam.

The dough was 25% KAWW and 75% Pillsbury Best Bakers and cold fermented for one day.
It was baked at 470F and left to cool entirely before topping.

Flour (100%):
Water (70%):
ADY (1%):
Salt (2.5%):
Oil (5%):
Total (178.5%):
560.22 g  |  19.76 oz | 1.24 lbs
392.16 g  |  13.83 oz | 0.86 lbs
5.6 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.48 tsp | 0.49 tbsp
14.01 g | 0.49 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.92 tsp | 0.97 tbsp
28.01 g | 0.99 oz | 0.06 lbs | 6.22 tsp | 2.07 tbsp
1000 g | 35.27 oz | 2.2 lbs | TF = N/A

I liked this enough that I think I will explore the Pizzarium/ Roman style pizzas more, albeit with more traditional toppings.

Dan
Dan

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1266 on: January 26, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
Lately I've gone back to experimenting with fermentation and mixing by hand.
Im quite happy with the results, so Im sharing them with you.

The first pie is topped with a tomato and oregano sauce, sauteed leeks, grilled zucchini and Gorgonzola cheese.
The second pie is topped with some cream cheese and lime, smoked salmon and dill.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1267 on: March 10, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
This weekend I bought a couple of "Pentole Agnelli" blue steel square pans. I'm going to season them tonight and I hope to try them soon.  :pizza:

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1268 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Very nice, Giulio!  This pizzarium thread has really been a hot spot lately!

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1269 on: March 12, 2014, 04:48:35 AM »
A report on the test run with my new blue steel pans.

First of all I got them out of the box and cleaned them with some paper to remove most of the protective oil they put on them to prevent rusting.
Then I started the seasoning process:

1. burning at about 250 C for about 30 minutes -> cooling;
2. very light olive oil rubbing followed burning at about 250 C for about 30 minutes -> cooling;
3. step 2 again.

On sunday I prepared some dough so yesterday I thought I'd give these pans a try.  ;D

I prepared everything as usual (autolysis, kneading, rising, dividing, resting, stretching, baking) except for a couple of things: longer rising (48 hours instead or 24) and the fact I've brushed the pans with oil instead of dusting them with semola as I usually do.

I seasoned one pie with caciocavallo and prosciutto crudo and the other one with sauteed greens and roasted salmon.

All in all I would say that these pans require a little extra care but they are well worth the effort!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizzarium - My first attempt
« Reply #1270 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
I made my first attempt today at this style pie. Overall, "Ok" to good.  But, not great.  I could use some feedback and pointers.

What I did:

80% overall hydration including 17% starter.  2% salt, 4% olive oil.  The flour was about 20% Semolina (Bob's Red Mill), 20% KAAP and 60% KABF.
Using a danish whisk, I mixed the starter, water and flour until there was no dry flour.  Took a minute or so.  Then I added the salt and mixed it in. Then I did the same with the olive oil

I did stretch and folds every 15 minutes (about) for a couple of hours (or so).  I then let it rise in the oven with the bulb on for about 10 hours.  It had risen quite a lot (tripled?) and was nice and bubbly.

I scraped it out of the bowl onto the floured counter and pulled it into a rectangle (sticky!!!!).  After lifting it and putting in the quarter sheet pan I spread it a bit more to have it cover all the corners and sides.  That was pretty easy although the dough thickness was not terribly uniform when I finished.

I put it in the preheated 475 oven, turned it down to 450 and baked for 10 minutes.

Then, the toppings.  One side had a drizzle of olive oil. a wad of raw spinach, some dollops of ricotta and some garlic.

The other side had a layer of mozzarella, some sausage, onion marmalade and a few olives.

Back in the oven for 15 minutes.

We found the spinach side to be much flatter even though the weight of the toppings was less.  I think the water in the raw spinach crept into the dough preventing more rise.

The dough was good, but slightly boring.  I am guessing it was because it was "only" a 12 hour rise.

The biggest negative was that the crust was a little too tough and chewy, especially on the spinach side.

My guess for next time is:
24 hour rise, not 12
cooked and dried spinach or a layer of mozzarella under the spinach.  Or, perhaps I should have par baked for 15 minutes instead of 10.

I do not know about the chewiness. Maybe let it rise for an hour after spreading it in the pan?

I would really appreciate any feedback / guidance.

- Mitch

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizzarium - My first attempt
« Reply #1271 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »

That last pic represents man....you have something special going on with that dough Mitch.  8)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1272 on: April 06, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »
Interesting threqd to read with good results! I eat here every year when I pass through for work. This was taken a few days ago on the boot of my rental. Was my best experience here yet.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1273 on: April 20, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »
We had guests for dinner on Friday night and they were kind enough to bring a book as a nice gift - Pizzarium!

I couldn't wait to bake a pie even though we had pizza on Friday night - you know, the old fashioned, boring round kind.   :P

So, I tried to follow the directions as closely as possible.  Based on this thread, the thickness factor is .133, with a 700 gram dough in my new 30 cm X 40 cm Paderno pan that I just seasoned a couple of weeks ago.

On half the pie, we put cherry tomatoes that had been coated with olive oil and salt, grated mozzarella, sausage and mushrooms (leftovers from Friday - waste not, want not).  The other half was blanched, then chopped, the pan fried broccolini with pancetta, florets on top along with orange zest and grated manchego cheese.

The broccolini side rose higher with bigger holes since the stuff all went on after the dough came out of the oven.  The tomato, cheese, etc size still had nice holes and a nice rise, but not as much.

All good, we will do this again.  It seems like one of these pies is ideal for an appetizer - small squares at room temperature when the get together begins.

We both loved it but this will not replace or even displace those old fashioned, round, boring round pies.   8)

- Mitch

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1274 on: April 21, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Great looking pies Mitch.

A prebaked pizza bianca works as a great "canvas", too. Once guests arrive they can add hummus, cream cheese, steamed/sauteed veggies, smoked salmon, etc.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1275 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
Great looking pies Mitch.

A prebaked pizza bianca works as a great "canvas", too. Once guests arrive they can add hummus, cream cheese, steamed/sauteed veggies, smoked salmon, etc.

Thanks Johnny, that means a lot - your standard is very high, I love your pies.

A couple of comments/questions.  I think that I like the broccolini side of the pie less right out of the oven and more after it cooled for awhile.  I think the toppings softened up the crust making it less crisp.  Also, we had a little difficulty with the broccolini side in keeping the stuff on top from falling off.

Does that match up to your experience and thinking?

Thanks,
Mitch

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #1276 on: April 21, 2014, 02:47:25 PM »

A couple of comments/questions.  I think that I like the broccolini side of the pie less right out of the oven and more after it cooled for awhile.  I think the toppings softened up the crust making it less crisp.  Also, we had a little difficulty with the broccolini side in keeping the stuff on top from falling off.

Does that match up to your experience and thinking?

Yes, besides cooling,  the moist toppings will definitely "soften" the crust some.  Regarding the veggies falling off the top - I think that the broccolini, due to their irregular shape are prone to rolling off the pie - especially if the pie is topped first then sliced after.  A way to minimize this would be to let the untopped and baked pie cool, slice into smaller squares/rectangles then top each individual portion. Other cooked veggies like escarole, chard, spinach, endives remain pretty flat and stay put - as the Bonci man proves below:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Stromung

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1277 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:19 AM »
What kind of small red fruits on the first page of this thread?

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1278 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:35 AM »
It's redcurrant.

Offline Stromung

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1279 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
Giulio Fabris..

Thank you.  Bonci is very creative