Author Topic: Pizzarium  (Read 136177 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizzarium
« Reply #1160 on: November 01, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
Looks wonderful, Craig! So was that sauce added post bake?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1161 on: November 01, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »

Thanks Steve, Yes, the sauce was added post bake.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Skee

« Reply #1162 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
I was wondering the same thing - at first glance I though it was a slice of dessert pizza with a strawberry sauce.  And the quality of the picture is amazing!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1163 on: November 01, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »
Nice work, Craig!  This just proves that if you really know what you are doing, you can do any style of pizza with excellent results.

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1164 on: November 05, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »
My contribution to this wonderful thread: 

50% CM ABC
50% CM Spelt Type 85
82% Water
20% Leaven
2% Salt

3 hrs bulk, 16 hrs in the fridge + 2 hrs RT

Marlon

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1165 on: November 05, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
Well done Marlon, that is very nice.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1166 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
I agree. Looks great!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1167 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
Marlon,

Wow, beautiful!  The crumb looks excellent!  ;D

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline s_gilou

« Reply #1168 on: November 05, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
Amazing pizza!
How much flour did you use please ?
And what size was your pan ?
Thanks
Gilles

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #1169 on: November 05, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
Thank you everyone!  This style is really winning me over.  I love it. 

Amazing pizza!
How much flour did you use please ?
And what size was your pan ?
Thanks
Gilles

Thank you!  The dough was about 800 grams (total flour around 436 gr).  I just used a regular half sheet pan (18 x 13 in). 

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1170 on: November 05, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Bonci has nothing on you Marlon!

John

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1171 on: November 05, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
This is my usual mixed grain dough, only this time I left it in the fridge for about 50 hours instead of the usual 24.
It's easier to work with and a bit lighter.
It tastes good, not really much different from the one I usually bake, but it's slightly less chewy.

Offline totally_baked

« Reply #1172 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
Does anyone know why I'm having trouble with my dough sticking to the baking sheet?  I tried it a few times (more oil, less oil, no oil on the sheet) and each time it sticks really badly - so badly that I have to scrape the bread off with a metal spatula.  So, I've ditched the pan and have been cooking it straight on the oven hearth.  

However, this thread is filled with gorgeous photos of beautiful pies baked in pans and it just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm using between 80 and 90% hydration dough with a few little variations here and there but nothing major.  

Thanks to you all for making this thread happen.  It's truly epic!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #1173 on: November 05, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Have you seasoned your pan?   Even if you have you might need to wipe it down with oil and let it sit in a hot oven a few more times.  

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1174 on: November 05, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Have you tried Crisco or another solid shortening? Don't overdo it, but leave enough that you can see a white film.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline totally_baked

« Reply #1175 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
Have you seasoned your pan?   Even if you have you might need to wipe it down with oil and let it sit in a hot oven a few more times.  

Hi Scott.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Never even thought of that.  I'm just using standard 1/2 sheet pans that I've used for years but I've never seasoned them.  Is that something everyone else is doing and I just missed it?  If so, I'll try it. 

For the record, when I've been to Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC, I notice that their sheet pans are black, like they never wash them.  Kind of like my cast iron pan but with more stuff caked on.  Is that what you mean by seasoned?

Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated!

Offline totally_baked

« Reply #1176 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »
Have you tried Crisco or another solid shortening? Don't overdo it, but leave enough that you can see a white film.

I'll try anything at this point.  I'm desperate.  Thanks!

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #1177 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »
I spread some durum wheat on the pan (aluminum pan) before rolling out the dough in it, you can try that if you haven't already.

Does anyone know why I'm having trouble with my dough sticking to the baking sheet?  I tried it a few times (more oil, less oil, no oil on the sheet) and each time it sticks really badly - so badly that I have to scrape the bread off with a metal spatula.  So, I've ditched the pan and have been cooking it straight on the oven hearth.  

However, this thread is filled with gorgeous photos of beautiful pies baked in pans and it just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm using between 80 and 90% hydration dough with a few little variations here and there but nothing major.  

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #1178 on: November 05, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »

You already got very good suggestions.
I would add that maybe you should use more flour when you are shaping the dough before putting it into the pan (Bonci use a lot), it shouldn't be sticky.

Offline totally_baked

« Reply #1179 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
You already got very good suggestions.
I would add that maybe you should use more flour when you are shaping the dough before putting it into the pan (Bonci use a lot), it shouldn't be sticky.

Yeah, I noticed that.  My dough is very, very sticky. 

One thing about Bonci's dough which I wonder about is that, in his class at least, he sometimes appears to use a lower hydration dough (closer to 70%, I believe) than many people are using for Pizza Bianca on this site (closer to 80%).  70% is obviously more manageable and doesn't require as much bench flour compared with 80%+.  Maybe he does it so he doesn't frustrate his first-time students?

Anyway, the hydration that I'm playing with these days is anywhere from 80% to almost 100%, because this is the range I've heard about for other places who do Pizza Bianca like Sullivan Street, Campo de Fiori and Bosco. 

I just wonder out loud how many of these bakeries are doing something like a 20 minute intensive mix using a high speed spiral mixer?  I look at the dough in the Campo de Fiori video 1) in the mixer (around 00:15) and 2) coming out of bulk fermentation (around 00:27) and it doesn't look like my 80%+ hydration dough at all

http://www.fornocampodefiori.com/mediaplayer/popup.html

Mine looks more like liquid levain and is very difficult to handle at 80% while theirs has so much gluten development and appears so much easier to handle and shape.  It doesn't even stick to the metal table in the video?!?  I've heard that Jim Lahey says that his Pizza Bianca dough is the only dough in his bakery that doesn't work with his "no knead" technique.  If only I had a high speed spiral mixer in my apartment.  Maybe I could solve the mystery...

pizzapan