Author Topic: Same tomatoes? Different names.  (Read 3481 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Same tomatoes? Different names.
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
I was at Costco today and I was looking at these tomatoes and they looked really familiar to ones I got from RD. So I said what the hell I'll buy them because they were $3.63. I got home and I had the can that I thought was the same and what do you know they are. One is called Baresi and the other is called Nina and the one from Costco is about $3 cheaper. The thing I was wondering was are these really San Marzano tomatoes? I have bought other San Marzano's before and they had the D.O.P stamp and I read somewhere that if they don't have the stamp they aren't real SM tomatoes. Oh... look at that my new DLX!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:36:56 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Same tomatoes? Different names.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »
I purchased those from Costco once. Unfortunately I found them mealy and not very good maybe that was a one time thing, but I haven't bought any since. If you look at the label you will see it says that they are packed from San Marzano region, not that they are San Marzano tomatoes-clever.

Hope yours are good,

Jeff

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
Yea I never noticed that. Well when I tried the Baresi they were good, I still haven't found a tomato that is really good. I want to try another brand called La Regina if anyone has tried these can you tell me how they taste.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:29 AM »
Yea I never noticed that. Well when I tried the Baresi they were good, I still haven't found a tomato that is really good. I want to try another brand called La Regina if anyone has tried these can you tell me how they taste.

I bought a case of these & they're okay, I use them mainly for pasta sauce.  They are also not San Marzano's.

Matt

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
The la reginas if I am not mistaken are imported by accardi foods in mass.  They import 3 kinds.  28 oz. dop which usually are near great.  28 oz hand picked non dop which are OK, and 35 oz peelled which are they same as the cento non dop and Joseph russo non dop which are my personal favorites,  especially when you factor in that they are about 2 dollars for a large can with thick juice.  hope this helps -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
Yea that is where I am going to get them from they are in Medford MA. This is there Regina tomato list.

TLIC - Italian Chopped Tomato 6/10
TLIC3 - Italian Chopped Tomato 6/3kg
TL28 - Italian Peeled Plum Tomato 12/28oz
TL35 - Italian Peeled Plum Tomato 12/35oz
TL10 - Italian Peeled Plum Tomato 6/10
TLM28 - San Marzano Peeled Plum Tomato 12/28oz
TLM3 - San Marzano Peeled Plum Tomato 6/3k
TLHP28 - La Regina Italian Hand Picked Plum Tomato 12/28oz
TLHP3 - La Regina Italian Hand Picked Plum Tomato 6/3kg
TC10 - Imported Peeled Tomatoes 6/10

I am going there sometime next week to get the tomatoes and a bag of Caputo pizzeria flour, then I am going to go get a 50# bag of KASL from another place because my All Trumps is almost done. Do you remember what color the label was because they have 3 different labels and I can't zoom in to see which one is which. Here is the site for help http://www.accardifoods.com/documents/4TomatoesandTomatoSauce.pdf.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
BSO,  the green are the dop the blue are non dop,  28 oz is the hand picked.  The 35 is also blue and not lableled hand picked,  but they are excellent for the money imho.  -marc

pizzapan