A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I made some pizzas this weekend!  (Read 5307 times)

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

I made some pizzas this weekend!
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
Greetings All,

I've lurked around for a while and have just started posting. This place is great! You guys really help in understanding the makings of great pizza.

This weekend I made a couple of pies, that I think turned out pretty decent. Not quite like some of the ones I see here on the boards, but hopefully I'll get to that point sometime.

My dough consists of:

Flour (100%):    750.97 g  |  26.49 oz | 1.66 lbs
Water (63%):    473.11 g  |  16.69 oz | 1.04 lbs
IDY (.35%):    2.63 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Salt (3.42%):    25.68 g | 0.91 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.35 tsp | 1.78 tbsp
Total (166.77%):   1252.4 g | 44.18 oz | 2.76 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   313.1 g | 11.04 oz | 0.69 lbs

I usually try to ball them anywhere from 310-315g each. These were a 48 hour cold fermentation, 2hr room temp rest before opening. Cooked on a stone  on the oven floor @ 650F w/ quarry slabs above.

Cooking time was 4 mins (rotate after 2).

The first one was on Saturday. A simple 12" Pizza Margherita w/ San Marzano tomatoes, fresh buffalo milk mozzarella, fresh basil, and ext olive oil.

On Sunday, I made a 14" monster pie w/ San Marzano tomatoes, fresh buffalo milk mozzarella, smoked buffalo milk mozzarella (scamorza), Pecorino Romano, Sopressata, Prosciutto, hot Capocollo, red chili flakes, and ext virgin olive oil.

Excellent flavors! A nice light crisp exterior and airy on the inside with a bit of 'chew'.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:21:15 PM by LaPizzaBrutta »

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

Re: I made some pizzas this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
continued:

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
Great looking pies... wow, and great photography also.  Nicely done.  I'm hungry for a slice.

the crust is very very nice looking.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:07 PM »
Looks like you have been lurking long enough!  very nice looking work.  keep it up!   -marc

Offline sconosciuto

• A man of extremes
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
Nicely done! 

Those are some of the best pies I've seen on here.  You are able to get up to 650F on a conventional oven without any modifications?  Is this gas or electric?

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
The photography is FANTASTIC!
Great job on the pizza and the photos!

---pete---

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »
thank you to everyone for the kind words! I feel like I learn more and more with each batch I make. This place is a wealth of information!

You are able to get up to 650F on a conventional oven without any modifications?  Is this gas or electric?

I have a gas oven with the main heating source is a broiler drawer under the oven floor. I'm able to fit my stone on the floor with good vent clearance and use thick quarry stones above the pizza stone to deflect the heat and get proper top browning. After about an hour of preheat on the full bore broiler setting, gets my oven temps to 650 (sometimes higher if I don't watch it and leave it longer to preheat).

brayshaw

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29:03 AM »
Wow! they are amazing looking pizzas!!! bet they tasted amazing! I have some 24hr dough in my fridge at the moment and after seeing your pies I think I will make pizza tonight!

Great job buddy!

Paul

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
I agree with Marc, you have been lurking long enough! Really Great looking Pizza!! :pizza:  Love the 1st one!and very nice phots What kind of Camera are you sporting? You did not Mention Type of Flour Is it AP ? Bread? Bromated?
Thanks keep em coming! Have you tried any other styles?
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Ditto about John's comments on the pizzas  ;D  and the type of flour used. :chef:

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Amazing

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
Bravo! Looks great!!!
Just wondering what type of flour you used, and how long it was mixed?

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks so much! Coming from you guys, it's a real compliment! I've seen your work and totally admire it!  8)

To answer some of the questions:

I use King Arthur Bread Flour. When mixing up a batch, I'll give it a 20 min autolyse, a 2 hour room temp bulk rise, then a cold fermentation for at least 48 hours in the fridge (of course, the longer the better - I've even left them for up to 12 days with excellent 'sour dough-like' results). 2 hour rest at room temp before opening and baking. :pizza:

My real goal is to slowly experiment and modify the formula so I can get the same results in a 24 hour fermentation period. Then eventually moving to bigas and starters to attempt same day doughs.

John, I'm 'sporting' a simple little Sony ?CyberShot DSC-W100 that I'm borrowing LOL

Thanks again!

- Thomas
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:30:28 PM by LaPizzaBrutta »

scott123

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
Thomas, you might want to think about putting a piece of foil or a pan underneath the quarry slabs. Those slabs look a little weathered and they have very little resistance to thermal shock.  At some point they will drop a shard.  If a pizza is in the oven at the time, the shard will most likely sink into the cheese. That kind of rock is harder than teeth, so if someone were to bite into it, the shard would, at a minimum, chip their tooth, but if they were older or had cavities, it could really do some serious damage. I've experienced this personally- I have a small chip off one of my front teeth from biting into a small pebble in a piece of pizza- a small pebble that I know came off the ceiling of the oven.

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
Scott, I think you raise an excellent point. It's not something I really considered as I heat them up in the oven cold and didn't think about there being any 'shock'. A foil barrier couldn't hurt! thank you.

I've actually been eyeballing a local landscaping supply and was thinking about checking to see if they could cut a single smoother piece for me.

thanks for the feedback.

- Thomas

Offline pizzalatino

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
Awsome looking! Yum!!! I'm still trying to figure things out, so my question to u is what thickness factor do you use for a pie like that using Lehmann's calculation tool?  I've only experimented with NY style but I'd like to try your style pies. Which is called what kind? American? Sorry for the beginner questions.
mike

Offline LaPizzaBrutta

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
Awsome looking! Yum!!! I'm still trying to figure things out, so my question to u is what thickness factor do you use for a pie like that using Lehmann's calculation tool?  I've only experimented with NY style but I'd like to try your style pies. Which is called what kind? American? Sorry for the beginner questions.
mike

Thank you, Mike, for the compliment!

As for the thickness...well, I only used the dough weight selection based on my hand written notes. That's how I came up with the formula in my original post.

But, I went ahead and played around with the Lehmann's Dough Calculation Tool just now, and the closest I could come to my original ingredient measurements using the thickness factor option is (pretty damn close!):

Flour (100%):    750.62 g  |  26.48 oz | 1.65 lbs
Water (63%):    472.89 g  |  16.68 oz | 1.04 lbs
IDY (.35%):    2.63 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Salt (3.42%):    25.67 g | 0.91 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.35 tsp | 1.78 tbsp
Total (166.77%):   1251.81 g | 44.16 oz | 2.76 lbs | TF = 0.07171
Single Ball:   312.95 g | 11.04 oz | 0.69 lbs

With this calculation, I entered in a thickness factor of .071 and a size 14" pizza (Although I usually open mine to 12").

I hope this helps!

As for the name? uuuhhhhh, it's not Chicago style, I know that! LOL

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
Yep, Thats what I'm sportin as well Sony Cyber shot DSCt-1 great little guy. Now Mama went out and got a very Nice  Nikon D3000 so Now I have to  figure it out? very nice ! I hope to get to quality of Bill/SFNM  or Villa Roma shots some day. Pies Too!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
LaPizzaBrutta,

There is an easier and quicker method to calculate the thickness factor for the the 12" pizza for and the 14" pizza.

Assuming that the actual dough ball weight is 11.94 ounces, the thickness factor for the 12" pizza is 11.04/(3.14159 x 6 x 6) = 0.09762. For the 14" pizza, using the same amount of dough, it is 11.04/(3.14159 x 7 x 7) = 0.07172. In practice, the thickness factor values will be a bit lower because you used dough ball weights that were a bit lower than 11.04 ounces. Based on the two different thickness factors, your 12" pizza should have been a bit thinner than the 14" pizza if you made them the same way, that is, with similar rim sizes, etc.

Peter

brayshaw

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »
Excuse me for sounding like a total newbie.. you mention that after mixing that you give it a 2 hour bulk-rise.. is that basically just leaving the dough covered in the mixer for 2 hours and then balling up the dough and placing in the fridge? what does a bulk-rise add to the finished dough? I think I might give this a go tomorrow..

Thanks,

Paul

Offline pizzalatino

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »
Thank you Thomas. I assumed using the weight factor after asking for help but came up with different measurements. So we'll see how that turns out. I hope mine do come anywhere close to what yours looked like...can't wait :)

mike