A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 937 times)

bobgraff, Doug Wheeler, MartyE and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bobgraff

Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 09:42:26 PM »
7/22 dough

Dough Prep
20 hour RT bulk ferment
Skin frozen 55 hours
Defrosted 1 hour

Baked for 9 minutes @ 500 direct on stone.

This pizza was tougher than the last.  Maybe freezing the skins isn't such a good idea after all...  :-\
« Last Edit: Today at 06:29:02 PM by bobgraff »

Online bobgraff

« Reply #41 on: Today at 10:01:29 PM »
7/22 Dough

Dough Prep
20 hour RT bulk ferment
Skin frozen 77 hours
Defrosted in fridge for 12 hours
Dough well docked (new)

Stone preheated on bottom rack for 1+ hours @ 530.
Par baked (no sauce) for 3 minutes + topped and finished for another 8 minutes on preheated stone @ 530.  Pizza turned after 5 minutes.

The result was slightly more well done than the previous night's pizza and still on the tough/chewy side.

The first pizza from the 7/22 batch was amazing, even without fridge time.  Ryan's observation about over fermented dough may be my problem here (or maybe it's the effect of freezing).

The next direction for my dough is less fermentation.   Moving the stone lower and baking @ 530 were both positive additions.  I think I got the time and temperature nailed down (for my oven).

P.S.  Those pepperoni are not from Carfagna's.  Don't ask...

Online bobgraff

« Reply #42 on: Today at 10:15:24 PM »
I can't believe you were able to do that long of a bulk ferment without seriously overfermenting the dough. But if it worked, awesome.

OK, so maybe I should have said 45-48% hydration instead of 50%. Seems like that's what I was thinking sometime in the past. I suspect I probably erred a little too high because I know how hard it is to roll stiff dough, then especially to roll the same dough after it's been laminated. I also know people don't like rolling stiff dough. So I probably kept it a little too soft to keep from freaking people out the first time they try it. With this style, I think I always figure hydration percentage with the assumption that there will be plenty of flour added while rolling. Which I suspect is probably not done at Tommy's. Probably more of a trick for at home (sans sheeter).

Plus I started suggesting bread flour or high gluten flour instead of AP flour. Which pretty much always makes for a stiffer dough than dough made from all-purpose flour at the same hydration.

What I'm about to say is probably more appropriate in the original thread, but after posting my most recent post there, I began to think it's probably best to do a 12-hour bulk ferment, roll the skin, then refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before baking. This would work out really good in a commercial setting because you can either make the dough in the morning and let it bulk ferment all day or you can make the dough at night and let it bulk ferment overnight. Plus it seems pretty clear to me that Tommy's refrigerates ALL their skins for at least 12 hours (possibly excluding OSU football game days, at both Lane Avenue locations), considering they always have blisters.

Oh yeah. I also think a 10-15 minute mix time is probably better than the 7-10 minutes I said a couple days ago. I guess I'm just so used to using stiffer dough (which usually needs to mix for a shorter time than softer dough) that I didn't think about that before posting it. Also, if using a j-hook (KitchenAid Artisan), you'll probably want to use the high end of my mix-time estimate.

Note to self...

wordpress