A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Crust too crispy /crunchy  (Read 2402 times)

Offline new2dough

Crust too crispy /crunchy
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
Hi all,

Experimented with a pizza stone and the result didn't come off the way I imagined it. The crust was too crispy and that remained crispy even after cooling and a re-heat session in the micro-oven. Actually, the amount of crispiness was so much better after the micro-oven session, I find that interesting.

Details:
a) used a "wetter" dough formula with a 56.6 baker's %.
b) cold fermented for 20 h
c) dough used immediately after I took it out of the refridgerator
d) pizza stone was heated for 45 minutes til it reached 527 F (275 C)
e) the pizza stayed on top for 7-8 minutes

Taste was fine but I'm not so sure about the burned bread smell.

What is the best solution? Should I move the stone up a (notch or two) or use lower oven temps?
Or perhaps I could simply bake the pizza for 5 minutes instead of 7-8?

Thanks.

Offline sfspanky

Re: Crust too crispy /crunchy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
I would first try to use more water. Try using 62-65% as a start. Maybe add a little oil to soften the dough.

Cold fermentation promotes more acidic acid, which reinforces gluten bonds giving you a crispier product.

Your bake times and temperatures seem in line. Hotter is better, in my opinion, but there are many variables to your desired results. Hotter temp and shorter bake time will also result in a softer crust.

Change one thing at a time. Every action has a reaction.

Not sure why you smell anything burned as you barely have char in your pictures. I personally love more char, as it adds more flavor. Your mileage may vary.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline new2dough

Re: Crust too crispy /crunchy
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
I would first try to use more water. Try using 62-65% as a start. Maybe add a little oil to soften the dough.

Cold fermentation promotes more acidic acid, which reinforces gluten bonds giving you a crispier product.

Your bake times and temperatures seem in line. Hotter is better, in my opinion, but there are many variables to your desired results. Hotter temp and shorter bake time will also result in a softer crust.

Change one thing at a time. Every action has a reaction.

Not sure why you smell anything burned as you barely have char in your pictures. I personally love more char, as it adds more flavor. Your mileage may vary.

Hi sfspanky, thanks for your advice. Concerning upping the hydration levels, the ~53 % seems to be the sweet spot for me. I broke the 60% barrier and made a dough with 61% hydration yesterday (a handful of bench flour not included in the calculations) which was plenty difficult to handle, and I used the oven tray instead of the pizza stone and baked it for 10 minutes @ 464 F (240 C). Even that one came out quite crispy/crunchy.

I will try shortening the baking time and level up the pizza stone a notch.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress