A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakerboy's pizza nite *pics*  (Read 6137 times)

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Bakerboy's pizza nite *pics*
« on: April 29, 2005, 01:46:50 PM »
The worst part of opening a bakery is, well, getting the thing open so i can bake!!.  Took some time and went back to the pizza shop, helped out, made some dough, scored a couple of dough balls so i could make some pizza at home for a few friends. 
The dough is 100% Balancer high gluten flour, 60% hydration, 20% pate fermente (risen dough), 2% salt.  It was mixed on 1 speed for 10 min.  No second speed mix.  doughs are shaped in 1.5lb balls and retarded overnite.
The sauce was simply whole peeled tomatos and their juice(deseeded) with a bit of sugar, salt, cracked black pepper, and a splash of olive oil.  The cheese was Roseli brand part skim mozz.
I did 2 pies, a red and a white.  The white was topped with roasted shallots, roasted onions, roasted portobello and crimini mushrooms. these were all tossed with some poached garlic before going on the pie.
The red pie was simply a pepperoni.  Both were assembled; cheese, sauce, and then toppings.  Both were baked in my home oven at 550 on a pizza stone.   Heres a few pics.

stretched pie.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bakerboy's pizza nite *pics*
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:48:05 PM »
white pie, pre bake

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »
white pie, post bake

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:49:29 PM »
red pie pre bake

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:50:29 PM »
red pie post bake

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:51:47 PM »
white crust and droop

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
red pie crust and droop

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »
crust

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 02:39:21 PM »
Bakerboy,

The pizzas look absolutely yummy.

How big (diameter) were the pizzas? Since it appears that you didn't use any commercial yeast, how was the crust flavor using only the old dough? And was the 20% pate fermente by weight of flour? My recollection from what you have said before is that your preferment is 60% hydration so that you don't have to adjust the basic recipe.

Now that I see that you can take some great photos, I hope you will take some of the Tacconelli pizzas when you get to try them. From the reviews, it looks like the white pies, with spinach or garlic, seem to score the best.

Peter

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »
Pete.  thanks for the kind words. 
My pizza stone is 15'...and i used every bit of it.  The white pie was over the edge a bit.  The crust flavor was really good, light and crunchy for such a large dough ball.  For my pies i like to see a good crust with a thin line of dough  to insulate the toppings from my crust.  This way when the moistue from the hot toppings redistributes itself, it doesn't ruin the texture (crunchiness) of the bottom crust.  I baked the white pie for 10 min. and the red pie for 8 min.  In retrospect, i should have done the opposite and my red pie would not droop so much.  The one thing that was a a little dissapointing was the tomatos.  They were acme brand whole peeled tomatos and lacked a bright tomato flavor.  Guess you get what you pay for. 
The pate fermente WAS 20% by weight of the flour.  i didn't mention that, sorry.  It was made using the same flour(balancer) at 60% hydration, 2% salt and .125% saf yeast (about 1 oz) and allowed to rise for 4 hrs. at room temp. or until we see the center of the dough start to dip.
I'll do my best to get some pics at tacconellis.  I can't make heads or tails out of those reviews.  some people loved it, even revered it, while others hated everything about that place; the pizza , service, parking, and the wait.  i have no idea what to expect.  When i was there last, the dough was very thin and crispy(almost crackery), scant toppings but it was very good for that style.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »
bakerboy, I love the shots with sesame seeds on the crust..nice touch --thats my favorite bagel. How did you get them to adhere, using oil??? Please explain..thanks

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 07:07:30 AM »
bakerboy,
Hope the bakery opens soon and you can finally live your dream.

Love emphasis on the rim. You are the first, that I'm aware, to post an upgrade to the puffy old border of a pie. It makes sense that as a baker you would look to improve the bread aspect of your creation. I only wish I had your level of creativity.

There is no going back now, my kids are going to want a bakerboy border. Kindly share some tips on how to get flavor crusts.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »
mtpizza, pft. Thanks guys, glad you liked it.   I did the crust by dipping my fingers into water and lightly going around the rim of the pie.  Then sprinkle with sesame seeds.  i've only used sesame.  i don't know why one couldn't use other things like poppy seeds.  herbs seem like a good idea but at the temps i cook the round pie, they always burn and taste nasty.
Careful not to let water run over the side of the crust as it will stick your pizza onto your peel.  THAT can be a nightmare, but not if your careful.  just shake your pie on the peel to make sure that its loose and your not stuck before you put it in the oven. 
pft.  be careful with the seeds at 800F.  it might burn the seeds.  i left my pie in at 550F for 10 min. and i actually got some of the seeds overdone(burned) to my taste.  others were fine with the taste.  I like toasted sesame seeds.  i hate burned sesame flavor.   You might want to try doing a quarter of a pizza with the seeds to see how they react to that temp.  You may also hear some crackling as they pop like popcorn when they hit the stone.  good luck.

wordpress