A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Nello's (Pizzaria) of Scottsdale, Arizona  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Nello's (Pizzaria) of Scottsdale, Arizona
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »
Based on a recommendation from a co-worker, I decided to give Nello's in Scottsdale a try.   You can find out more info about the restaurant, their menu, and see more pictures on their website.

http://nellos.com/

We ate their on a Superbowl Sunday evening and practically had the place to ourselves.  They were showing the game on a large screen they had on the floor, so that was pretty cool.

The restaurant is very clean, with artwork all over the walls.  It had a very contempary artsy feel to it.   The menu is pretty extensive and straight forward with appetizers, salads, sandwiches, some pasta dishes, and a wide selection of pizzas.   They serve thin crust and pan pizza.   

Their thin crust looks to me like a cracker crust so I went for the pan pizza.  I was told by my coworker that they serve deep dish so I was taken back a bit to find out that this was more of a pan style deep dish than a Chicago biscuit style deep dish.  Nonetheless, I enjoy both styles so I was looking forward to this.

I ordered some garlic bread while we waited for pizza and it was good.  It was toasted french bread with garlic butter, topped with slices of tomato and bubbly mozz.   I took a peek at the pies being served a table over and they looked thick and appetizing.  The garlic bread was just the type of bread that I like.  Very soft crumb, garlicky, crispy shell, that just melts in your mouth. 

I ordered the 7" Sicilian with pan pizza with homemade italian sausage, red onion, basil, and black olives.  Substituted the black olives for mushroom.   My wife orderd the chicken parm sandwich.   My MIL had the pineapple & ham, and my FIL had the deluxe. 

When the pizza came out, face to face, 7" looks smaller than it sounds.   :-D  But boy was it filling.  The crust looked THICK but again was very soft, cottony, and light with a light crisp to the crust.   The pizza reminded me a bit of Pizza Hut's personal pan pizza but on steroids.  The sauce was a generous helping of marinara style sauce.  Not too spicy and tasted pretty good.  Cheese was a decent amount for a 7" pizza and toppings were a bit sparse.  But again, not a lot of room for toppings on a 7" pie with a thick crust.

I happen to like pan pizza, so I thought this pie was delicious.  The pizza tasted and looked fresh made and not something that had been reheated or thawed and baked.   After the garlic bread and the 7" pie I was STUFFED!!  :-X  My wife wasn't feeling well and didn't finish her chicken parm sandwich.  It looked great but I couldn't bring myself to eat anymore so I didn't try it. 

My pie was $6.75 and a bargain for Scottsdale.   All in all, 2 dinners, 2 drinks, 2 kiddie milks, and a bowl of buttered noodles for the tots and it set us back $35 plus tip.   A good value for great food IMO. 
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who happens to be in Scottsdale.

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Nello's (Pizzaria) of Scottsdale, Arizona
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »
sorry for the yellow tint.  I took these pictures with the flash off and it's either their lighting or my crappy camera. 

I chatted with the waiter for a bit and asked what type of flour they use for the dough.  I was expecting to hear AP but surprise to hear HG flour.   For as light as the crust & crumb was I was pleasantly surprise.  If he is correct, this must  be a highly yeasted, highly oil dough.   I think the waiter was right though as it seemed to sit like a rock in my gut after eating.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:48:40 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
Looks great! I wish I could have tried all of the food there,especially the chickenparm!
 :-D

Its def a high oiled dough,but looks like they made it right.
 :)
-Bill

PaulsPizza

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
Damn Chau, that looks one filling @ss pizza! Looks tasty.
You could choke a donkey with that though!  ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I guess it only makes sense, since it was super bowl sunday, that you should eat a football  :-D

Kidding aside, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Chau, over here we have things called Yorkshire Puddings and Giant Yorkshire Puddings. I love a giant Yorkshie pudding filled with mashed potato/gravy and sausages. That pizza looks sooo much like a Yorkie.
Yorkshire pudding = batter mix baked in red hot fat in the oven.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:48:11 PM by PaulsPizza »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
Paul and Scott, the 7" pie was filling!  The crumb was really light, like cotton and not that chewy, but hell I was really full aferwards.  Felt like I ate a football or a brick.   I think it was still with me the next morning since I wasn't really hungry for breakfast.  They definitely need to decrease the yeast and lengthen the fermentation.  But somehow I don't think they would know what I was talking about if I tried to tell them. 

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
Thanks for your review Chau.  It is always great to see a review. Sorry that the pizza was a bit heavy.  Its kinda like replacing a Nascar drivers ride with a Yugo.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »
Thanks Gene.  Hopefully I'll have the Bianco review up soon.  :D

Chau

Offline southcoastpizzalover

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
wow! that's making me hungry!