A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Peter Reinhartís Country Pizza Dough & Classic Pizza Dough, Neo-Neapolitan Style  (Read 70314 times)

Offline forzaroma

Well trial and error thats how we all learn and i am enjoying the process.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Well trial and error thats how we all learn and i am enjoying the process.

forzaroma,

What you posted is so true.  I am glad you are enjoying learning from experimenting.  :) I had many failures or near failures in some of my experiments, but I did learn from them.

Best of luck if you try Peter Reinhart's dough again.

Norma

Offline forzaroma

Well i shall try it again but now i will call it my dough haha as I shall  change the fermentation process.

When you bulk ferment a dough when you take it out to ball it do you let it rest at room temp before balling for any amount of time so the gluten can rest or do you ball straight out of fridge?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Well i shall try it again but now i will call it my dough haha as I shall  change the fermentation process.

When you bulk ferment a dough when you take it out to ball it do you let it rest at room temp before balling for any amount of time so the gluten can rest or do you ball straight out of fridge?

forzaroma,

You can call it your own formula in you do anything different.  :-D  I have found in the different doughs I have tried so far, even one variable can affect dough, so when many variables are introduced there can be different results.

I have tried different methods in bulk fermenting and if you do that you have to watch the process each step of the way, if you want to try a new formula, to see what happens.

At market, I donít bulk ferment my doughs.  I just ball and refrigerate.  I can have more leisure at home when experimenting with different doughs, and then I can see what happens, because I can watch the process.  If you do an advanced search here on the forum and put bulk ferment in the search feature, you can see ways different members did different bulk ferments.

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

At 71% I get great oven spring.  (71% is pete-zaa's calculation of how to get to 75% after the optional oil)

If I'm doing a "gravity drop" direct onto parchment would there be any need to reball at all?  I'm not attempting to lift anything this wet.

Dave

Regarding a bulk ferment - as per P.R. on pizzaquest:

you can, as Matt mentioned, divide the dough into dough balls immediately after mixing it, OR, put the whole bowl away and divide the dough the day of use--either way works with this recipe. When making larger batches, I do pre-divide it but in small, 5 dough-ball batches like this one, I often wait till the next day.
<snip>
don't forget, you can always freeze the unused dough balls and save them for weeks, even up to three months.
Always make new mistakes.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
At 71% I get great oven spring.  (71% is pete-zaa's calculation of how to get to 75% after the optional oil)

If I'm doing a "gravity drop" direct onto parchment would there be any need to reball at all?  I'm not attempting to lift anything this wet.

Dave

Regarding a bulk ferment - as per P.R. on pizzaquest:

you can, as Matt mentioned, divide the dough into dough balls immediately after mixing it, OR, put the whole bowl away and divide the dough the day of use--either way works with this recipe. When making larger batches, I do pre-divide it but in small, 5 dough-ball batches like this one, I often wait till the next day.
<snip>
don't forget, you can always freeze the unused dough balls and save them for weeks, even up to three months.

Dave,

Peterís (Pete-zza) calculations are always right.  You did fine if you used 71% hydration.  I donít know if you are doing the gravity drop onto parchment paper if you need to reball.  I havenít tried that method.  My dough isnít wet, after reballing.

You can follow all or any Peter Reinhartís directions.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
The Peter Reinhart dough was used to make a pizza today with Johnís method.  I did reball the dough 5 hrs. before baking.  This dough was a somewhat sticky dough, but like John posted it did form many bubbles in the dough when opening the dough.  This dough almost felt like some of the Pizzarium attempts I tried, when opening the dough. The rim of the crust was very moist.  This rim and crust of the finished pizza almost reminded me of some of the Pizzarium attempts I did, too.  It was very light.

Thanks John for telling me of your new method in making Peter Reinhartís dough.  ;D It did perform like you posted.  This dough is really easy to make and the finished pie was the best of the day!

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
end of pictures

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Love em Norma, more exquisite looking pizza!!
I type this kind of redfaced as I learned on Monday, that I may have been using old yeast and this is why it takes 3 days to see any bubbles...God, I've only been making pizza 35 years now!!  Your pictures led me to the truth.  Secondly, as I experiment with dough, I only make small changes, so I can measure the different effects I get...as for the classic dough, my mix time is 2 minutes total with a 5 minute rest in between.  I then do 4 stretch and folds with 5 minute rests...I then ball and refrigerate.  So, my dough on bake day might be totally different than yours if you are using a different technique (longer mix times, more stretches etc).  Anyway, with my minimal use of mixes and stretches, maybe this is why reballing 5 - 7 hours prior made the dough so much stronger...Thanks for sharing your victories Norma!!!
John

Offline Cass

Looks great Norma!

Seriously, every time you post pics I get hungry!

;D
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
I type this kind of redfaced as I learned on Monday, that I may have been using old yeast and this is why it takes 3 days to see any bubbles...God, I've only been making pizza 35 years now!!  Your pictures led me to the truth.  Secondly, as I experiment with dough, I only make small changes, so I can measure the different effects I get...as for the classic dough, my mix time is 2 minutes total with a 5 minute rest in between.  I then do 4 stretch and folds with 5 minute rests...I then ball and refrigerate.  So, my dough on bake day might be totally different than yours if you are using a different technique (longer mix times, more stretches etc).  Anyway, with my minimal use of mixes and stretches, maybe this is why reballing 5 - 7 hours prior made the dough so much stronger...Thanks for sharing your victories Norma!!!
John

John,

Thanks for your kind words and all the help you have been to me, with your past posts and all the experiments you have done on the Reinhartís classic dough. Wow, making pizza for 35 years is a long time. Congrats to you!  ;D I can understand with each different thing that is done, there can be changes how a pizza might turn out.  Thanks for telling what your mix times and workflow are.  I really like this dough and how the final pizza turns out.  I didnít really do that many stretch and folds.  Only the few times in my Kitchen Aid mixing bowl and then one with flour on my kitchen table.  The only other reball was 5 hrs. before baking.  Your idea to reball 5 hours before the bake really did make this dough strong.  It had lots of bubbles in the dough and the dough almost opened by itself, it was that soft.  I am going to try this dough again next week.  This was one of the lightest pizzas I have made in terms of biting into the crust and it almost melting in your mouth because the crust was moist.  I forget what bake temperatures you are using.  Do you mind telling me what bake temperatures you use?  My bake temperatures were between 555-565 degrees F.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Looks great Norma!

Seriously, every time you post pics I get hungry!

;D

Cass,

Thanks for your kind words.  :) This classic dough is really easy to make.  So far, I like it better without the oil and sugar.

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

Norma,

I have to pile on and say your pizzas look amazing!  I have something to aspire to.

I forgot to mention that my last batch was supposed to include a family favorite, caramelized onion (with balsamic), pine nuts and goat cheese.  At the last moment I realized I was out of chevre so I substituted some Boursin and it was a huge hit!

Come to think of it this recipe is an adaptation of a Reinhart: blue cheese, walnuts and the onions.  My kids won't eat blue cheese and I'm not much for walnuts so we tried this.  It's amazing and all abou the onions.  The recipe is on pizzaquest.

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Norma,

I have to pile on and say your pizzas look amazing!  I have something to aspire to.

I forgot to mention that my last batch was supposed to include a family favorite, caramelized onion (with balsamic), pine nuts and goat cheese.  At the last moment I realized I was out of chevre so I substituted some Boursin and it was a huge hit!

Come to think of it this recipe is an adaptation of a Reinhart: blue cheese, walnuts and the onions.  My kids won't eat blue cheese and I'm not much for walnuts so we tried this.  It's amazing and all abou the onions.  The recipe is on pizzaquest.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks!  I might get to try Reinhartís dough out this weekend in an Italian little oven.  I would be curious to see how that kind of oven bakes this dough.

I never tried out Boursin, but that sounds like a great combination of dressings you used for your pie.  I didnít see the recipe on Pizza Quest for the blue cheese, walnuts, and onions.  Thanks for mentioning it.  :)  I will take a look.

Norma

Offline dmaxdmax

Keep some on hand to toss in a salad where the mixed greens are just a little too bitter.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/118-caramelized-onion-marmalade.html

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
I type this kind of redfaced as I learned on Monday, that I may have been using old yeast and this is why it takes 3 days to see any bubbles...God, I've only been making pizza 35 years now!!  Your pictures led me to the truth. 

I had the same problem recently. I buy my yeast in one pound bags (usually SAF instant from Smart  Final) and lately I had been noticing that my doughs weren't rising very well. Finally I bought some new yeast.  What a difference. 

Tin Roof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Keep some on hand to toss in a salad where the mixed greens are just a little too bitter.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/118-caramelized-onion-marmalade.html

Dave,

Thanks for the link!  :)  I will try that out soon.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

Norma, the pizza looks perfect that you just made.  You did a great job.  Even though I've eaten so much pizza lately and need to take a break from it the pizza you made makes me want pizza right now.  

You are the top   :pizza:  :chef:

wordpress