Author Topic: Capehog first pizza  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Capehog

• I Love Pizza!
Capehog first pizza
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »
I read and read and read through the forum and found this recipe for my first attempt at a home bake. I followed the instructions and everything turned out well. After I made the dough in my very old GE stand mixer I put it into the oven on warm. The temp was about 115 which is the lowest it would go. After 45 min I pulled it out and left on the counter and posted a question as to whether leave it to cool or put into the refrigerator immediately. Eventually I just put it into the fridge. Now I've read about putting the dough into an oiled bag. The next day I pulled it out an hour before bake and turned the oven to 485. The dough was still very cool when I went to assemble and I dont think I waited long enough or let it rest during the stretch process but I made it to about 14" on a 16" pan.

Made a simple sauce with 1 can paste 1 can warm water oregano fresh dried garden basil salt black pepper. Boars Head Mozzarella grated in my processor sweet Italian bulk caramelized onions bell pepper black forest ham and bacon 

Baked for 16 minutes turned around in the oven at 10 minutes.

Does the dough need to go into the fridge right after proof when still warm or does it need to cool a little?

Any thoughts suggestions on how to to better will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11031.0

13.05 oz     King Author Bread Flour
0.55 oz   Sugar
0.2 oz   Kosher Salt
0.05 oz   Active Dry Yeast
0.95 oz    Vegetable Oil
7.57 oz   Warm water (110 Degrees)

1.   Add Flour, Salt, Yeast, and Sugar to Mixing Bowl first.
2.   Then add oil and water.
3.   Mix for 6 minutes at speed 2 with dough hook.
4.   Remove dough and hand kneed until smooth about a minute
5.   Shape into dough ball, lightly oil surface, and place in covered bowel
6.   Proof dough at 100 degrees in oven for 1 hour dough ball will look somewhat flattened and larger in size
7.   Place in fridge over night  (8 hours)
8.   Remove dough from fridge 1 Hour before making pies
9.   Toss pizza for 14 or 16 Pizza Screen
10.   Add toppings of choice and bake on lowest rack at 485 degrees for 13-14 minutes or until golden brown (Oven temps vary for everyone adjust rack and temp as needed)

Makes one 14 or thinner crust 16 pie

Offline Stevezilla

• Pizza Hates Me!
Re: Capehog first pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
I think you did a lot of things right, good job. How did you like eating it?

I've never used an oven to proof dough so I will wait for someone else to give an answer to that.

is a pretty good video of tony g opening and shaping a dough.

Offline Capehog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
It was good the crust was chewy which could have been the way it was supposed to be or I messed with the dough too much and made it tougher. The toppings were good I can see why everyone talks about the better cheese being a key ingredient.  I dont buy many chain brands so not sure what I would compare it to. It is a PJ clone recipe and would make it again. Thanks for the video I'll watch and learn.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:21:55 AM »
It needs to fermented longer, much longer imo.

I'd say, remove  step 6.

Try  a 1 day,  then 2 day and possibly a 3 day cold ferment.