A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style?  (Read 30631 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: NY Style?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
Paul and Bill,

Thanks for the nice comments!  :)

Norma

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »
Loving the undercrust on that pie Norma! The entire pizza looks very good....I concur with Scott123. I see green.

I forgot if I have asked previously......are your pizzas ready right when the market opens on Tuesdays or are they ready at a later time in the day?

Best --K  :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Loving the undercrust on that pie Norma! The entire pizza looks very good....I concur with Scott123. I see green.

I forgot if I have asked previously......are your pizzas ready right when the market opens on Tuesdays or are they ready at a later time in the day?

Best --K  :D

Kelly,

Thanks for saying you love the undercrust of the latest pizza and you agree with Scott123 about seeing green.  :)

Pizzas start rolling out of the oven between 9:30 am to 10:00 am in the morning, all depending on the weather.  If you ever want to come to market and try out any of your doughs, or want me to make different doughs for you to try, let me know ahead of time, so I can prepare some doughs for pizzas.

I am going to try making another dough for the same pizza tomorrow to see how a longer ferment goes.  I am not decided on the yeast amount to use with a 4 day cold ferment with the high amount of oil.  The dough was so easy to open with all that oil and I sure donít want it to differ to much. 

Thanks so much for touching up my pictures.  ;D They sure do look better!

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Norma, it's pretty rare that I say this, but I don't think you want to change anything here.

I'm curious, is the inclination towards a 4 day ferment based on logistics or are you striving for a more flavorful dough?  As it stands, this is a 24 hour dough, right?  If this is about flavor, 2 day doughs tend to be a bit better than 1, but, imo, 4 day doughs are not noticeably superior to 2. The other aspect to consider is that 4 days is going to change this crust much more drastically than 2.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think you should mess with this at all, but if you feel like you have to make changes, I might try pushing the dough to 2 days rather than 4- at least initially.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
Norma, it's pretty rare that I say this, but I don't think you want to change anything here.

I'm curious, is the inclination towards a 4 day ferment based on logistics or are you striving for a more flavorful dough?  As it stands, this is a 24 hour dough, right?  If this is about flavor, 2 day doughs tend to be a bit better than 1, but, imo, 4 day doughs are not noticeably superior to 2. The other aspect to consider is that 4 days is going to change this crust much more drastically than 2.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think you should mess with this at all, but if you feel like you have to make changes, I might try pushing the dough to 2 days rather than 4- at least initially.

Scott,

The only reason I want to try a first try a 3 day cold fermentation and maybe later try a 4 day cold fermentation is to see if more flavors develop in the crust.   So far in my last two experiments the cold ferment has only been one day.  This would be a very easy dough for me to make at market, but as you already know, I do like to ďfiddleĒ a little to see what happens with any doughs.  :-D The only problem with a two day cold ferment for market is I canít get into market over the weekend.  I can only go into market between 8:00am-5:00 pm on non market days during the week.  That is where the sticky situation occurs.

I wonít make the dough until Sunday and see if a 2 day cold ferment does anything different to the dough or how the final pizza crust tastes.

Thanks!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I mixed another dough using the same formulation as before, but used less yeast for a two day fermentation.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
I am not sure about a 2 day cold ferment for the same formulation I tried last week.  There were some good differences in the taste of the crust, but also other differences I didnít like.  I donít know why but the crust wanted to become more puffy.  Last week and this week a screen needed to be put on the bottom of the pizza about the last Ĺ minute of the bake. The first week no screen was needed.  I donít want to have to fool around with using a screen for each pizza. This week the pizza didnít have the same crispness to the crust, even though it was still a little crispy.  Steve and I timed the bake this week and it was about 5 minutes.  I still am not sure if I want to go forward with trying this formulation at market, even though I do like it.  With each small change different things can happen, even though the same formulation is used. The dough did ferment okay for 2 days and the dough ball was still very easy to open.

This is a video of Steve slicing the pie this week with a pizza cutter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 10:52:03 PM »
You are making me soooo hungry with those pics!
 ;D

Wonderful job as always!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
The pizza must have tasted excellent from the pictures.  Thanks, I want some now. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
You are making me soooo hungry with those pics!
 ;D

Wonderful job as always!
 8)

Bill,

Thanks!  :)  I wonder how this formulation would work in a standard no mods home oven.  I might try it sometime.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
The pizza must have tasted excellent from the pictures.  Thanks, I want some now. :-D

Gene,

Even though the pizza was good this week, Steve and I thought it was better last week.  Trying to get consistent pizzas that are good time after time is challenging.  I sure donít know what to try next.

You are welcome to try any pizzas I make any time you are in my area.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2012, 06:56:04 AM »
I am going to try the same formulation, but with a smaller pizza to be made at home later today.  I donít think the dough ball will ferment enough in the refrigerator in one day, (because I didnít mix the dough until last evening) so if it doesnít ferment enough I will remove it from the refrigerator and let it room temperature ferment.

I did mix this dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer using the dough hook, but had to stop the mixer a few times to get all the ingredients off the sides of the mixer bowl and to get the dough to start to mix properly.

If anyone is interested this is the print out of what formulation I used on the Expanded Dough Calculating Tool for a 12Ē pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2012, 06:57:13 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
This is how the dough ball looked after cold fermenting for 12 hrs.  It has now been sitting out at room temperature to ferment some more.

Norma

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Norma,

FWIW, my friend's Brooklyn pizzeria runs their firebrick Baker's Pride gas decks at 550 F and sees them drop (in temp) considerably during peak times (up to 50 F of temp drop and possibly more). They don't have an exact time for the bake because different parts of the oven and deck give different results so they just rotate the pies/and watch em. There is not that much oil their dough. It is pretty archetypal for the style. They get a chuckle from the idea of trying to exactly time a bake, as it is "done when it is ready" to them. I certainly like to time my bakes, but don't let that negate what my eyes see.

Hope all your experiments are going well :)!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
Norma,

FWIW, my friend's Brooklyn pizzeria runs their firebrick Baker's Pride gas decks at 550 F and sees them drop (in temp) considerably during peak times (up to 50 F of temp drop and possibly more). They don't have an exact time for the bake because different parts of the oven and deck give different results so they just rotate the pies/and watch em. There is not that much oil their dough. It is pretty archetypal for the style. They get a chuckle from the idea of trying to exactly time a bake, as it is "done when it is ready" to them. I certainly like to time my bakes, but don't let that negate what my eyes see.

Hope all your experiments are going well :)!

johnnydoubleu,

Thanks for asking what temperature your friends Brooklyn pizzeria runs their firebrick Bakerís Pride gas oven at.  I canít understand if the doors are open and shut a lot there is a drop in temperature.  My market oven also gives different bake times.  On the sides of my deck oven it is hotter than the middle of the deck. 

I can understand your friends would get a chuckle out of timing bakes.  :-D They are what I call pizza experts.  :chef:

Thanks also for saying you hope all my experiments are going well.  :)

Norma