A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A Robot Wants Your Job: How Automation Will Transform Foodservice  (Read 2089 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: A Robot Wants Your Job: How Automation Will Transform Foodservice
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »
Amazon has been looking into how dogs might react to drones coming into their space:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-simulated-dog-drone-tests-2017-4

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about things like robots and AI and automation and how they will impact our lives in the future. Some react with fear whereas others are optimistic and hopeful. These reactions are quite normal. I read an article today that discusses how the automobile and airplane were first viewed and how long it took for people to accept them. The article includes a lot of newspaper clips and is both informative and amusing. The article is at:

http://www.collaborativefund.com/uploads/Collaborative%20Fund%20--%20What%20We%20Said%20When%20the%20World%20Changed.pdf

To be sure, I think it is safe to assume that we will accept and adapt and modify new technologies--especially those based on digitization of information, like iPhones and the like--faster in the future than in the past. But, like the automobile and the airplane, who knows for sure? What will autonomous automobiles and space travel do to us as a nation? I cite the graphic below simply to demonstrate how fast it took us as a nation to adapt to technological change in several different areas of our lives.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Chinese sorting facility says robots cut cost in half. The video is interesting. One thing I don't understand, at 1:12 a robot stops and unloads nothing. How does that happen?

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2086662/chinese-firm-cuts-costs-hiring-army-robots-sort-out-200000
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
No one calls in sick, and no days off, and no holidays. A link in the article is pretty interesting. http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2084389/chinese-engineer-marries-robot-after-failing-find-human-wife

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
At least until they make robots that fix robots...

That will be a very long time.  It's more likely that broken robots will simply be replaced (like broken smartphones).  But don't count on a robot to do that.  An ant still does a better job of navigating unknown terrain than IBM's Watson (who can't move on his own at all, despite 'his' ability to win at Jeopardy).

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
That will be a very long time. 

"Long" is a very relative word.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
  We've been getting those robot telemarketing calls for the last few months. They are pretty tricky, a real recording of a person says hello and when you answer you hear a click and the puter voice starts. The ones I hate are the credit card services calls. I have actually talked to a real person and kept them on the line to only tell them after a while that I don't carry a balance from month to month. Then the yelling starts. I have never carried a balance. The ones I have most fun with are the calls from the Windows repair techs. They said I called requesting service. I play like I am not tech savvy. After a while the tech gets frustrated to the point of asking what brand of puter I am running Windows on. I say I don't know, then proceed to tell them there is a symbol of an apple with a bite taken out of it. Talk about cussing and screaming. >:D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:59:43 PM by nick57 »

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
10 jobs that some think will be done by robots within a decade:

Ask yourself this question:

Which is more probable for 2027?

a) Elon Musk will rely entirely on a robotic accountant.

b) A 2017 listicle will be proven wrong.

We still don't have a robot that CostCo will let make a pizza.  Okay, a little saucing, sure - with some help.

As time goes on, machines will be able to do more and more.  That's good.  But there's a mania happening today that's not so good.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:18 PM »
No doubt that there is a lot more to be done with robots and that has engendered a lot of articles for people to write about and publish. But there are robots out there that have done a lot of good, as is noted in this recent Bloomberg article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-12/while-some-robots-learn-to-deliver-pizza-these-are-saving-lives

I remember the incident that occurred in Dallas last year. As I recall, a robot was sent into a garage. It was quite amazing.

Peter

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
Oh to be sure, robots are good.  And they'll continue to do more and more for us.  It's just that IMHO, the state of the art is not nearly what the public consciousness seems to think it is.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
Russian Humanoid Robot 'Fedor' Learns to Shoot Using Both Arms

What could possibly go wrong...

https://sputniknews.com/military/201704141052641419-russian-humanoid-robot-uses-both-arms-shoot/

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
That will be a very long time.  It's more likely that broken robots will simply be replaced (like broken smartphones).  But don't count on a robot to do that.  An ant still does a better job of navigating unknown terrain than IBM's Watson (who can't move on his own at all, despite 'his' ability to win at Jeopardy).

I fix my (wife's) cellphone.

Offline caymus

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
A Bloomberg article that discusses how the rich supposedly will get richer and the jobs of the poorer will be replaced by robots:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-26/america-s-rich-poor-divide-keeps-ballooning-as-robots-take-jobs

Peter