A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question about mushrooms?  (Read 214 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
Question about mushrooms?
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
I am not very good at this so this question might seem a bit too stupid or simple for you guys but here goes.

I have been baking at very high temps lately, my cordierite stone is at over 800 while the ceiling is close to 1000 and I am getting used to doming real quick and cooking the toppings all in about 1 minute 30 seconds or so. It seems that whenever I use most ingredients I get decent crust, decent pepperoni, etc. But whenever I use mushrooms it seems like they are not being cooked right.

Does this happen to some of you? Do mushrooms need to be cooked a bit longer? Do you bake for longer or dome for longer if you are using mushrooms or an ingredient that simply takes longer?

Seems like my pepperoni pizza is spot on as far as mi timing goes but last time I tried mushrooms they tasted a little ... off.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Question about mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
I sauté mushrooms before using them on pizza. I don't like all the moisture that they give off.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »
I sauté first too and finish in Marsala because we like the taste. We are home oven 550° max cooks here.

Craig is an expert on this. Betting he will say slice thinner or ask about that.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »
putting them on the stove first for a little bit does make a lot of sense, its either that or doming for longer it seems.

Thanks guys.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »
I throw them in the oven for a minute or two before I top out the pizza.  Either on tinfoil on a screen or a baking sheet.  Amazing what a minute at 500 will do to get some moisture out when they are in there alone.
All the best, Dave

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
Does this happen to some of you? Do mushrooms need to be cooked a bit longer? Do you bake for longer or dome for longer if you are using mushrooms or an ingredient that simply takes longer?

I think you either go longer or shorter. I think there is a "wet zone" for mushrooms. I often use fresh mushrooms on NP, but I'm typically in the 45-55 second range. They soften and start to cook, but the haven't done the full water release yet. The problem is that if you want to go longer, you will need to lower your bake temp which may change the character of your pizza.

Another thing you can try is slicing and pre-baking the mushrooms to drive off some of the water. Put some evoo on the pan so they don't stick. Doing it this way as opposed to sauteeing will help preserve some of the earthiness of the mushrooms. I make a couple different pies with the mushrooms treated this way, it it works really well. Roasting them with a bit of pepper and thyme works well too.

I've never tried it, but might be able to accomplish the same thing and retain all the earthiness by salting the mushrooms and draining them on paper towels.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress