A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finally starting my build!  (Read 4914 times)

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Finally starting my build!
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
Just in case writing it didn't make sense.  Can't I do this?

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Finally starting my build!
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
I made an executive decision and went with the shims.   This is my most confusing part.  How do I know where to chamfer my sailors? Originally I thought the dome would start at the floor.  Now I have a vertical wall and I want my top 21" off the floor.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Not sure I understand.  If you are going to use a sailor course with 1" chips underneath to remove the joint at the floor, there is no joint to stagger; that is a "captured" joint and of no structural concern.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
OK, I see from you picture what you meant.  Yes, you have it correct.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »
I find it easier to loft it than to calculate it, but either will work.  To loft it, draw vertical lines representing the walls at the size of the oven width.  Establish a floor line, then find center, measure up 21" and mark it. Mark the spring line of the dome at the desired height (with the shim and the chamfer, it will be around 7-1/2" above the FLOOR line.  The next part will require either a helper or calculation.  With a helper, tie a pencil to a string, and starting at center, move the pinion point of the string backwards until the drawn radius hits the center top and both spring points.  Draw it.  From your vertical lines, make another vertical line 2-1/4" (or whatever width your brick are) outside the first.  Do the string thing again, the width of the brick used in the dome (should be around 4.5") above the first.  At the spring line, draw a line 90 degrees to the inner point and that is your chamfer line to cut.  edit- It may not always be 90 degrees, but the line will always cross through the point where the dome meets the wall on both lines.

It takes longer to type it than to do it, and if you do it on something good, like masonite, you can use it as a template as you build the oven (I cut it in half and just use half).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:45:16 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
Tom you're amazing.  I had to read it a few times to get the idea but it makes sense.   I will be putting this on something at least as sturdy as thick foam but wanted a starting point. How does it look?

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
I did screw up the right side.  I put the right vertical wall too far to the right.  But I made my 4 1/2" mark on the floor.  And got yelled at.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:44:50 PM by BANTAR1000 »

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
A couple months ago I saw this thing on a Facebook site about an hour away. He wanted $250 for it and said it didnít work. Iíve been lightly haggling with him and yesterday I had to go to the town he lived in and told him how much it would cost to fix and get it working.  So I offered him $30 and he said $45.  I bought it!  Took it home, rigged it up to an extension cord and the thing started right up!   Now gotta figure out where to put it!

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Iím back at it.  Cut a lot of bricks on half and started on my angle.   Thoughts or prayers?  Lol

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
Made some progress today!  Everything is still dry but will probably start missing this week.  I have to figure out how to connect the opening to the dome,  but Iíll get it!

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Before I get too crazy.   I have a concrete hearth,  which Iím planning on putting a dry mix of sand and fire clay as per Tomís idea to level a little.  Then Iím putting my 2Ē cal-sil boards.  Do I have to cover them with anything before I start putting the bricks down?  Or can everything just sit on them dry? 

Offline Ev

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:24 PM »
As long as it's flat and level you should be good to go.
When I die, I want my remains scattered all over Disney World. Also, I don't want to be cremated!

wordpress