A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Franco Pepe's pizza dough  (Read 1335 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Franco Pepe's pizza dough
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
In that other article I pointed, with the 3 chefs giving different tips, one of them does say 1 liter of water per every 1.4kg of flour, which does come up to a little over 70% as you describe, so it makes sense. Seems like changing from 52% to 60% wouldn't be a big deal, I would just add more water and that's that. Changing up to 70% would alter the process a bit, wouldn't it? Since there is more water, everything would be heavier, so 250gram dough balls would be relatively smaller to the other 250gram balls with less hydration due to part of the weight being more water instead of actual dough?

Seems like I would have some trouble stretching out dough at 70%! Maybe I should make larger portions to? Seems like making 300 dough balls instead of 250 would be the best bet, if I am using 70%. I am also not sure if I should add more or less fresh yeast due to the increased water content.

Any tips?

Offline sub

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Use less yeast and maybe reduce a bit the hours in ball (appretto) if you don't use a strong flour.

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
Thanks, I am using caputo 00 flour, so I should use less yeast (it was 5 grams fresh yeast) and use the same time for bulk ferment (6 hours) but less time when they are rising as dough balls? I left them 3 hours last time then put them in the fridge and let them ferment for a few days there before using some of them and passing the rest onto the freezer for later use

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
Just to clarify, because I will be making this recipe again on saturday because people are coming over and I don't want to mess it up!

I will do everything exactly the same except I will go for higher hydration, 65% with caputo 00 flour.

I don't have anymore fresh yeast so I will convert and use IDY.

Would that work? or is it just not as simple as adding more water? Do you recommend I should make bigger dough balls? I figure since there is more water content in the dough, 250 grams willl be smaller than when I had less hydration, due to the added water weight and that will probably make my overall pizza smaller and more difficult to manage, so I was thinking maybe adding hydration and also making the dough balls a bit bigger.

In the old recipe, with only 52% hydration, if you added up 1900 grams of flour with 1000 grams of water, you get 2900, you divide that into 250 and you get 11.6 dough balls. You remove 150 grams of dough for the next recipe and you end up with roughly 10 balls of dough.

If I do everything the same except I add 65% hydration, that comes up to 1235 grams of water. If I add those to the 1900 grams of flour and then divide by 250, I end up with 12.54 balls of dough.

What's the best way to go here? I plan on making 10 inch personal pizzas, so the 250 gram balls of the last recipe were perfect but with the added hydration I was thinking going 275 per dough ball, which ends up being pretty much exactly the same amount as before when I adjust for the added water content.

So what do I do? More dough balls? Less dough balls but bigger? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
I would keep the dough weight the same, you will have an extra dough ball. You could throw the extra away, bake it, or store it in the fridge to mix in with your next batch of dough.

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
Alright, thanks for the tip. But you are saying that if I either keep the weight the same and make an extra ball, or change to 275 gram dough balls, it really wouldn't affect the end product?

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Increasing dough weight would make a difference; I'm saying if you liked 250g dough balls I would keep that number, regardless of the hydration changes. 250g dough balls are common for Neapolitan pizza, from 55-75% hydration.

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
Ah, ok, so then there wouldn't be a big difference in dough content? my probably flawed logic told me that a 250 ball with 65% hydration would be smaller than a 250 ball with 52 hydration simply because the extra weight from the 52% comes from more dough and not just water. I found myself stretching those 250 balls easier than anything I've ever done, I even tossed them and had fun making each pizza by hand. I fear that the 250 ball will actually have less dough content and therefore I won't be able to make the same quality pizza with my limited shaping skill.

Maybe none of this makes sense and I won't have that much trouble anyways

wordpress