A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 649028 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2140 on: November 05, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
FWIW, Occident is 12.2-12.4% protein.  Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour is 12% and KABF is at 12.7%.

Thanks Jonas!

Norma

Offline eiram21

• Feeling Foodish
« Reply #2141 on: November 05, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »
Thank you Norma and JSaras!

Norma how do you like your Blackstone? I'm very interested in buying one. Did you have to make any modifications to the oven?
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2142 on: November 05, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »

Norma how do you like your Blackstone? I'm very interested in buying one. Did you have to make any modifications to the oven?

Marie,

I like my Blackstone pizza oven very much.  If you want to make loads of styles of pizzas the Blackstone is a good pizza oven.  Right now the only mod on my BS is the bearing collar.   I did have stainless steel washers and also a Chaudefector at one time. 

Norma

Offline eiram21

• Feeling Foodish
« Reply #2143 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Hi Norma - I think I see a BS in my near future! ;D

Do you make anything else in it? Turkey, etc?

Marie
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2144 on: November 05, 2014, 02:08:09 PM »
Hi Norma - I think I see a BS in my near future! ;D

Do you make anything else in it? Turkey, etc?

Marie

Marie,

Great to hear you see a Blackstone in your near future. :P  I never tried making anything else in the BS.  I have a regular propane grill that I use for grilling other foods.  There are forum members that have baked other foods in the BS.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2145 on: November 05, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »
900 degree seared steak is awesome in BS, Marie.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline eiram21

• Feeling Foodish
« Reply #2146 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
Sounds good Bob!
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2147 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
A member had asked me what height my Detroit style pizzas are after they are baked.  I really didn't know what height they were after the bake.  I took a photo of the height of one Detroit style pizza today.

Norma

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2148 on: January 05, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »
Hello all,

Been researching Detroit Style and have loved seeing everyone's purges progress on this forum. Came across this post on the Margot's blog that brings me full circle back to the board

http://margotspizza.com/detroit-style-pizza-75-hydration-all-purpose-flour/

I'm going to try this once my Lloyd Better than Blue pan comes in, but I do have one question. I believe this formation is for an 8x10 pan, does anyone have a quantified recipe for bigger pans- 11x14 ? Thanks! and I'll be sure to share my results

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2149 on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »
Hello all,

Been researching Detroit Style and have loved seeing everyone's purges progress on this forum. Came across this post on the Margot's blog that brings me full circle back to the board

http://margotspizza.com/detroit-style-pizza-75-hydration-all-purpose-flour/

I'm going to try this once my Lloyd Better than Blue pan comes in, but I do have one question. I believe this formation is for an 8x10 pan, does anyone have a quantified recipe for bigger pans- 11x14 ? Thanks! and I'll be sure to share my results

Welcome to the forum Anthony!  I want to say Adam's Detroit style pizza looks very good.  :P

Tim posted what TF (0.1218) he used for a 10Ēx14Ē pan at Reply 1192  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg263022.html#msg263022  You can note what flours Tim used too. 

If you want to try an emergency Detroit dough I posted to Jay how he might try that at Reply 1564   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg238942/topicseen.html#msg238942

At Reply 1547 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg238866.html#msg238866  I also posted the TF of 0.128, but you can see I also used a bowl residue compensation. 

Do you know how to use the dough calculation tools for your Lloyd's 11Ēx14Ē pan?  If you need any other help with the mixing of the dough just ask.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:01:40 PM by norma427 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2150 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
A member had asked me what height my Detroit style pizzas are after they are baked.  I really didn't know what height they were after the bake.  I took a photo of the height of one Detroit style pizza today.

Norma

That crumb is pretty much perfect for DS, IMO.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2151 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
That crumb is pretty much perfect for DS, IMO.

Thanks Craig!  Would you believe I haven't eaten a slice of a Detroit style pizza for a lot of months.

Norma

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2152 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Hi Norma,

I don't know how to use the calculation tool and would love a primer! Very excited for my Lloyd pan to come. For those with experience with the Lloyd anodized pans, I am good to cook right out of the box, correct????

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2153 on: January 05, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
Hi Norma,

I don't know how to use the calculation tool and would love a primer! Very excited for my Lloyd pan to come. For those with experience with the Lloyd anodized pans, I am good to cook right out of the box, correct????

Anthony,

There are different dough calculation tools here on the forum.  I will try to tell you how to use the Lehmann Pizza Dough Calculator.  It is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html  I took two photos to show you what I did to come up with a formulation for you to try.  There are two approaches to how you would like your dough calculated.  They are by thickness factor (TF) or by dough weight.

I used a TF of 0.128.

Then you enter the desired number of dough balls you want, which I entered 1.

Then you enter the shape of the pizza you want.  Since you are using a 11Ēx14Ē rectangular pan that is what I checked. 

Then I added the desired dough hydration at 75%.  You might want to lower that hydration a little if you are not used to working with sticky doughs, or ask for a link on how to mix, then use a little flour to get the dough ball less sticky.  I don't know what kind of flour you want to use either.

I then entered the amount of yeast.  The amount I entered at 0.65% of IDY should be okay for a one day cold ferment, because you will have to let the dough rise again in your pan.

I then entered the salt amount which was 1.75%.  Note I checked Kosher salt, but you could use regular salt/sea salt and check one of the other boxes and use the same salt amount.

Then I added a bowl residue compensation of 1.5% because there might be some sticky dough left in your mixing vessel, utensils, or on your hands.

You can see I came up with 1.25 lbs. of dough for your size pan.

The flour amount would be 319.74 g
The water amount would be 239.8 g
The IDY amount would be 2.08 g
The salt amount would be 5.6 g

If there are other questions let me know.

Maybe another member that is more familiar with the Lloyd's pans might tell you what to do.  I don't have any Lloyd's pans that I recall of.

Norma

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2154 on: January 05, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »
Norma,

Thank you so much!!!.

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #2155 on: January 06, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
MisterPKM: If you got the Lloyd's/Pizzatools.com PSTK "deep dish" pans, you may just want to give them a quick rinse and wipe-down with a clean, wet towel -- no soap. They will come with a sheet that details care. DON'T wash them in a dishwasher. It tells you all you need to know.

After the initial rinse, you're good to go. You could use a VERY THIN coating of oil for the first bake, but even that I've found to be unnecessary. The pizzas SLIDE RIGHT OUT of them LIKE BUTTAH. I use the round PSTKs for the pop-up pizza thing I do, and THEY ARE FANTASTIC.

I was going to originally buy the untreated aluminum and season those, but I realized I could not take the chance that even a single pizza was ruined by sticking during my event, simply because of how tightly regimented the production line is. The PSTKs have exceeded my expectations. They are pricey, though. But they have been worth it.

As far as how they stack up against blue steel, I couldn't tell you. I couldn't find round nesting deep dish pans in blue steel. And I've never cooked Detroit-style head to head in blue steel vs. PSTK. I'm sure there are folks here who know way more about that match-up than I. Good luck! Welcome to Pizzamaking  ó and pizzamaking. Can't wait to see pics.
°Hasta la pizza!

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2156 on: January 07, 2015, 12:36:29 AM »
Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for the reply! Huge fan of your work. We had a small Instagram exchange about Detroit Style the other day! I really am anxious to get the pans in, I didn't realize you did Margot's in pans. Bar pizza is my next hurdle. I'll definitely be checking in on that and hope to get to a Pop Up soon!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2157 on: January 14, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
Interesting the pizza blogger (I DREAM OF Pizza) was flown out to Buddy's to taste their pizzas.   http://idreamofpizza.com/2015/01/buddy.html  I thought it was interesting to see the photos of Buddy's.  I wonder why the pizza blogger posted that the regular cheese pie seems simple but the juicy cheese blend features, Brick, Fontinella, and Parmesan cheese.  I thought only the Motor City Cheese Blend had those 3 cheeses. 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2158 on: January 14, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Interesting the pizza blogger (I DREAM OF Pizza) was flown out to Buddy's to taste their pizzas.   http://idreamofpizza.com/2015/01/buddy.html  I thought it was interesting to see the photos of Buddy's.  I wonder why the pizza blogger posted that the regular cheese pie seems simple but the juicy cheese blend features, Brick, Fontinella, and Parmesan cheese.  I thought only the Motor City Cheese Blend had those 3 cheeses. 

Norma

Call me crazy, but I think your DS looks a lot better than the Buddy's pies in his blog.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2159 on: January 14, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
Call me crazy, but I think your DS looks a lot better than the Buddy's pies in his blog.

Thanks Craig!  You do a great job with your Detroit style pizzas.   :P  I did a little experiment with 2 Detroit style dough balls yesterday, but did not take photos.  I didn't let the dough in the pans proof as long.  I was trying to see if I could get a crust (TF) about the same as a Victory Pig pizza.  It seemed to work, but I have never really tasted a Victory Pig pizza, or really saw how thick their crusts are.  The Victory Pig pizzas they sell to be shipped sure looks thin to me.  http://www.victorypigpizza.com/order.html 

Norma