A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question / help from digital scale owners  (Read 3391 times)

Offline joebot

Question / help from digital scale owners
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
I know that some of ya'll are owners of super accurate digital scales and I was wondering if you could post the weight to volume measurements of certain items that are used over and over in pizza making. Such as weights of 1 tsp or tbsp of kosher salt, IDY, sugar, olive oil etc....That would help a bunch as I just own a cheap spring scale which only reads as close as an ounce, which works ok for flour and water, and I have to use tsps / tbsps of small measurement items and would like to know the "real" weight on the small stuff for doing the formulas.
Thanks for any help that you can give! :pizza:

Joe

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
Re: Question / help from digital scale owners
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:29:07 AM »
Joe,

What country do you come from - I am guesing America from the "ya''ll"?  It will come in handy to reply to you with some sort of accuracy in  volume measurements .

We will need to know what type of ingredients you are using eg,  00 flour, High Gluten or all purpose flour.  Basically, any ingredient that you want to use in your pizza. 

Flour and Water are the main ones that need to be accurate by volume in your case, I am sure we can get close with the others as well.

At present, I am working on a spreadsheet with Pete-zza that may overcome your problem - we are still deveoping it.  Do you have MS Excel and know how it operates?

It's not that important if you don't have it or understand how it works - we will help out the best we can for you with the data you provide us and supply it to you for your needs.

Here is an example how cup measurements for salt and flour can vary.  The following are for a American cup weights for a 237ml ~ 240ml volume.

Salt - Garlic    6.77 oz / Cup
Salt - Kosher (Morton)   8.13 oz / Cup
Salt - Sea (Coarse)   10.16 oz / Cup
Salt - Sea (Fine)   10.05 oz / Cup
Salt - Table   9.45 oz / Cup

Flour - 00 (Caputo - Pizzeria)   4.6 oz / Cup
Flour - Corn    6.98 oz / Cup
Flour - Bread (KABF)   4.4 oz / Cup
Flour - High Gluten (KASL)   4.25 oz / Cup

Regards,

Wazza McG
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:07:31 AM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:53 AM »
Joe,

When I first joined the forum, there were few members from abroad and most measurements were specified in the U.S. system of measurements--that is, in ounces (avoirdupois and volume) and pounds, etc. At the time, all I had was an inexpensive spring scale (I've since graduated to a digital one). Now, we have members from all around the world, many of whom have digital scales capable of working in both the U.S and metric standards. What I didn't realize until Wazza McG recently informed me is that outside the U.S. there are significant differences in standards. For example, a "cup" in Australia, where Wazza lives, and a "cup" in the U.K. can be different from a "cup" in the U.S. What Warren is trying to do is to come up with a conversion spreadsheet that allows users to convert quantities specified in weights to volumes, especially for those without scales, for most countries.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about precision for pizza ingredients like yeast, sugar, salt and oil. These are usually used in small quantities and have small weights, and few of our members have digital scales that can weigh them accurately at such small quantities, if at all. For these ingredients, we use conversion data that was arrived at by either converting larger amounts (e.g., cup size) to smaller amounts (e.g., teaspoon) or by using data on packaging and labels for such ingredients. A lot of this type of data will be incorporated into Warren's spreadsheet. The most difficult part of the chore will be able to convert weights of flour to volumes, because of the variability of weights due to the different ways that people measure out flour and even variations in the flours themselves due to humidity, age, and storage and other environmental factors. In the U.S. data I gave to Warren on flours, I specified the precise method I used to measure out the flour. Users would have to use the same method to have a chance of getting close. Otherwise, the results will be all over the place.

Peter

Offline joebot

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:27:54 PM »
At present, I am working on a spreadsheet with Pete-zza that may overcome your problem - we are still deveoping it.  Do you have MS Excel and know how it operates?

Oh yea, that would be fine! Already have and use the dough thickness spread sheet and love it!!
thanks for the help ,

Joe

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 06:07:09 PM »
Here are snap shots for tablespoons and teaspoons of common ingredients found in America - note: American Volume / Weights apply.

The following should be a good approximation as there are so many variables when you deal with volumes.

Wazza McG

PS   ??? Right Click on the spreadsheet below and "View Image" to get a clearer picture.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 06:10:15 PM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
^^^^ that is really helpful thanks.  I got a triple beam, no batteries!!

wordpress