A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Good golly...we are almost home free  (Read 36919 times)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Good golly...we are almost home free
« on: December 06, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
Best thin crust yet.  Just need to find a better mozzarella (preferably a saltier one) and a provolone or white cheddar combo.

200g KAAP
94g water (47%)
10g corn oil (5%)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp IDY

Sauce:
6 in 1 crushed tomatoes
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar
Onion powder
Granulated garlic
Basil
Oregano
Pulverized fennel seed
Parm

Cheese:  9.5oz sorrento wmm, Kraft parm under sauce and sprinkled more right out of the oven.

25 minute (quarry tile) preheat at 500F, 4:30 bake.

Tip 1:  I am convinced that docking these pizzas absolutely ruins the texture.  Never again.
Tip 2:  If using pepperoni put it under the cheese so the greases mix evenly with the cheese, sauce and crust.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:34:54 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline wrm2012

Re: Good golly...we are almost home free
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Sure you post your tip #1 right after I just ordered a docker.  :) Oddly enough I've been using some pre schredded cheese and been very happy with it.  I always schredded my own until just this last month.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
Looks really good Nate. What is the workflow that goes with the formula? Is that one ball? How big was the pie?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:03:49 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Musky

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
Have you tried Grande, yet?  You could take a nice drive to Cheeseland and buy it for $3.99 a pound at Tenuta's in Kenosha.  They have a lot of Italian tomatoes and other whatnot, too.  Stay away from the Italian sausage.  I used it last week and thought it was terrible.

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
Looks really good Nate. What is the workflow that goes with the formula? Is that one ball? How big was the pie?

Thanks Craig.

14in pie.

Combine 100F water, sugar and salt.  Dissolve.  Add oil and IDY.  Add in the flour and stir until all raw flour in incorporated.  Gently knead the outside edges in the middle until its makes a ball (should be like 30 secs).  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and set at room temp for 2hrs. 

Place stone on bottom rack and preheat oven to 500F with convection if you have it.  I did only a 30 stone preheat and it was plenty.  Gently roll dough out (slightly under 1/8 inch thick).   I baked this at 500F with convection for 4.5 mins.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:50:39 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Have you tried Grande, yet?  You could take a nice drive to Cheeseland and buy it for $3.99 a pound at Tenuta's in Kenosha.  They have a lot of Italian tomatoes and other whatnot, too.  Stay away from the Italian sausage.  I used it last week and thought it was terrible.
Kevin

I have but where can I buy that in WI?  My wife goes to Pitt twice per year and brings me some Grande back from the PennMac store.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:14:21 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
Sure you post your tip #1 right after I just ordered a docker.  :) Oddly enough I've been using some pre schredded cheese and been very happy with it.  I always schredded my own until just this last month.

Aha.  Just return it for a bigger peel.  LOL.

Offline Musky

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
I have but where can I buy that in WI?  My wife goes to Pitt twice per year and brings me some Grande back from the PennMac store.

Sheesh, Bears fans.  lol.  It's right in my post, buddy.  Tenuta's Italian grocery in Kenosha.  Like five minutes over the border and 10 or 12 minutes east of I-94.  They had it two weeks ago.  Whole milk and part skim loafs for $3.99 a pound.

http://www.tenutasdeli.com/tek9.asp

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
Sheesh, Bears fans.  lol.  It's right in my post, buddy.  Tenuta's Italian grocery in Kenosha.  Like five minutes over the border and 10 or 12 minutes east of I-94.  They had it two weeks ago.  Whole milk and part skim loafs for $3.99 a pound.

http://www.tenutasdeli.com/tek9.asp

Kevin

LOL I'm worse.  Viking fan.  Sorry I missed what you wrote.  Gas money would kill me though.  Almost better off getting it shipped from PennMac.  I wish I had RD membership so I could try our some of their stuff.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:42:14 PM by pythonic »

Offline Musky

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
LOL I'm worse.  Viking fan.

Yikes.  An IL Viking fan.  That's twisted, man.  Twisted.  Tenuta's is pretty cool.  They sell a ton of cigars there, too, if you're a cigar guy.  I'm not, but my brother-in-law, who owns a cigar bar, says it's quite the inventory.

Tonight my wife and I are dropping our daughter off at a concert, and are then going to browse at Gloriosos, a little Italian grocery on the lower East side of Milwaukee.  It's about three blocks from Zaffiro's, which make have the best cracker crust in the world.  We're not eating there, though because I have dough arising in the fridge for tomorrow.

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »
Yikes.  An IL Viking fan.  That's twisted, man.  Twisted.  Tenuta's is pretty cool.  They sell a ton of cigars there, too, if you're a cigar guy.  I'm not, but my brother-in-law, who owns a cigar bar, says it's quite the inventory.

Tonight my wife and I are dropping our daughter off at a concert, and are then going to browse at Gloriosos, a little Italian grocery on the lower East side of Milwaukee.  It's about three blocks from Zaffiro's, which make have the best cracker crust in the world.  We're not eating there, though because I have dough arising in the fridge for tomorrow.

Kevin

Oh yes, I love berating the bores fans in chi town.  Any good pepperoni at your Italian stores up there?

Offline Musky

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
Oh yes, I love berating the bores fans in chi town.  Any good pepperoni at your Italian stores up there?

Any brand you have in mind?  I've been buying Bridgeford from the local Woodman's.  I like it a lot.  They have some pricey stuff at Tenuta's but I didn't buy any. 

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
Any brand you have in mind?  I've been buying Bridgeford from the local Woodman's.  I like it a lot.  They have some pricey stuff at Tenuta's but I didn't buy any. 

Kevin

I still haven't tried Bridgeford yet.  Are you using the thin or thick slices and is it any good?  Do they have Vermont smoked?

Offline Musky

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
I still haven't tried Bridgeford yet.  Are you using the thin or thick slices and is it any good?  Do they have Vermont smoked?

Since reading about it here, I've been checking everywhere I shop for the Vermont smoked but have not seen it.  I first read about Bridgeford here, too, and the consensus seemed to be to buy the 16" stick.  So that's what I do.  I've been slicing it by hand which is kind of a pain.  I do have a cheapo slicer I think I'm going to break out tomorrow.  It think it tastes really good.  It's dense if that makes sense, not too greasy, and borders on almost too spicy for pepperoni.

Kevin

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
Since reading about it here, I've been checking everywhere I shop for the Vermont smoked but have not seen it.  I first read about Bridgeford here, too, and the consensus seemed to be to buy the 16" stick.  So that's what I do.  I've been slicing it by hand which is kind of a pain.  I do have a cheapo slicer I think I'm going to break out tomorrow.  It think it tastes really good.  It's dense if that makes sense, not too greasy, and borders on almost too spicy for pepperoni.

Kevin

I'll have to try it.  I bought some Ezzo and was slicing that myself too.  Quite the pain.  Have been using boars head for the most part and its about average.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
Very nice Nate....very nice!
I think your sauce recipe is about as authentic as it gets.....add that saltier cheese you're looking for and you will be right in the pocket. Excellent work!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »
Very nice Nate....very nice!
I think your sauce recipe is about as authentic as it gets.....add that saltier cheese you're looking for and you will be right in the pocket. Excellent work!  :chef:

Thanks Bob.  I've only made about 10 of these since joining this site 3 yrs ago and 5 have come in the last week.  I need to work on letting for dough ferment for a day or so at room temp to max out the crust flavor but I'm very happy with the great success I've had in such a short time.  Are Chicago places using Scamorza on their pies?

Nate

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
Nate,

Your pizza sure looks delicious!

Norma

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
Nate,

Your pizza sure looks delicious!

Norma

Thanks Norma.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
Sauce:
6 in 1 crushed tomatoes
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar
Onion powder
Granulated garlic
Basil
Oregano
Pulverized fennel seed
Parm

So that's 7 Tbs salt, pinch of pepper, 1/2 c. sugar...???  :chef:

I assume you're writing this stuff down, or no?