A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Sous Vide Thread - Appliances, Recipes, Results, etc.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
The Sous Vide Thread - Appliances, Recipes, Results, etc.
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
Relatively inexpensive immersion circulators and DIY approaches are making sous vide cooking a hot topic of conversation among the membership. IMO, this is not just a trend that will eventually putter out, but a superior way of preparing certain foods.

This topic is being created to centralize the discussion of cookers, recipes, questions, tips, etc.     

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
Re: The Sous Vide Thread - Appliances, Recipes, Results, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »
Relatively inexpensive immersion circulators and DIY approaches are making sous vide cooking a hot topic of conversation among the membership. IMO, this is not just a trend that will eventually putter out, but a superior way of preparing certain foods.

This topic is being created to centralize the discussion of cookers, recipes, questions, tips, etc.   

Having worked with and around this technology for over a decade, both professionally and at home, I would completely agree but would go further:  It's already become the "norm" in high-end restaurants the world over.  We're now at a juncture point for "molecular gastronomy," similar to the last days of nouvelle cuisine.  Those descrying the "trend" have missed the point altogether.  Yes, the star of "molecular" cooking is fading, but only because the professional mainstream has co-opted its most significant contributions as to make them pedestrian.  Something similar happened with nouvelle cuisine.  It's not that it was unsuccessful, as is pointed out in most historical re-tellings, but the very opposite:  it became commonplace; so much so, its influence can easily be seen in today's kitchens.  The same's happened with science-based cuisine, only at a much faster rate due to the influence of a truly global electronic media.

Cooking en sous vide isn't going anywhere, and I'm glad to see decently-priced, well-made circulators finally available to the public.

As per my own thoughts, I find it at its best for any animal protein that does not need to be dry-aged and/or cooked la minute (e.g., custard-style eggs, organ meats, frozen cephalopods, pig, French-style terrines, chicken, and so on) or for cooking for large groups of people, and with much more limited gains for plants and/or pastry applications.  We use it at the bakery for brined sandwich meats.

Cannot wait to see what everyone on here does with it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:58:26 PM by arspistorica »
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »

As per my own thoughts, I find it at its best for any animal protein that does not need to be dry-aged and/or cooked la minute (e.g., custard-style eggs, organ meats, frozen cephalopods, pig, French-style terrines, chicken, and so on) or for cooking for large groups of people, and with much more limited gains for plants and/or pastry applications.

Cannot wait to see what everyone on here does with it.

I have to disagree with this statement. I have a huge 75 QUART IGLOO  cooler that i use with one of my sous vide rigs that i do upwards of 4-6 8lb pork shoulders and briskets and racks of ribs for partys of 20 or more. I have not done an entire whole pig yet, but I know i can, and i plan to in the near future. To me, this would be the perfect application to cook an entire pig and throw onto the pit to crisp and char up the skin.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Great idea, Bill.  Here's a top sirloin steak I cooked at 55C (131F) for four hours.

I use a homebuilt temperature controller connected to a small crock pot. I've ordered a water circulator so that I can start using a roasting pan with an electric heating element below it, hourly to get more even temperature and more precise temperature changes. I think the crock causes a delay on temperature increases.

Next time I will try cooking for longer to get it more tender and at 52C to cook it rarer.  I attempted to sear/broil it in my modified electric clamshell oven. Next time I will let the oven heat to full temperature.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:10:05 AM by misterschu »

Offline arspistorica

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
I have to disagree with this statement. I have a huge 75 QUART IGLOO  cooler that i use with one of my sous vide rigs that i do upwards of 4-6 8lb pork shoulders and briskets and racks of ribs for partys of 20 or more. I have not done an entire whole pig yet, but I know i can, and i plan to in the near future. To me, this would be the perfect application to cook an entire pig and throw onto the pit to crisp and char up the skin.

Unless I am reading this wrong, where's the disagreement?
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »
Unless I am reading this wrong, where's the disagreement?

Where you not saying sous vide is not mean for large amounts of food? If not, then i guess we are not in disagreement, and there was something lost in translation.

Offline rdnkpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »
I put together a homemade rig this weekend.  I had a digital Ranco controller (had intentions of converting a freezer to a keg cooler, but didn't do it) along with a $6.00 aquarium air pump for circulation that I hooked up to my electric turkey fryer.  I cooked NY strip steaks at 132 for 6 hours.  Amazing texture but they dried out.  After reading more, I believe they dried out because I salted them prior to bagging.  Next time I won't.  I can't wait to do a  bacon wrapped pork tenderlion and more steaks.  I'll keep you posted

Offline arspistorica

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
Where you not saying sous vide is not mean for large amounts of food? If not, then i guess we are not in disagreement, and there was something lost in translation.

Nope, quite the opposite!  I believe the technique is at its best for:

(i) animal proteins that do not
  (a) need to be dry-aged, and/or
  (b) cooked la minute.
(ii) cooking en masse.

Examples of (i) include custard-style eggs, organ meats, frozen cephalopods, pig, French-style terrines, chicken, and so on.  Whereas I find it has only moderate or limited gains for plants and/or pastry applications!

Whole sucking pig is exceptionally nice using this method, especially after brining and when finished over an open flame.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:48:03 AM by arspistorica »
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 12:44:34 AM »
I put together a homemade rig this weekend.  I had a digital Ranco controller (had intentions of converting a freezer to a keg cooler, but didn't do it) along with a $6.00 aquarium air pump for circulation that I hooked up to my electric turkey fryer.  I cooked NY strip steaks at 132 for 6 hours.  Amazing texture but they dried out.  After reading more, I believe they dried out because I salted them prior to bagging.  Next time I won't.  I can't wait to do a  bacon wrapped pork tenderlion and more steaks.  I'll keep you posted

Yes exterior salt will draw moisture out, just like if you dry brine salmon. For meats like chicken, turkey, and pork, you can wet brine in a 5% salt water solution overnight. This will prevent moisture loss.

Offline arspistorica

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 12:59:10 AM »
Yes exterior salt will draw moisture out, just like if you dry brine salmon. For meats like chicken, turkey, and pork, you can wet brine in a 5% salt water solution overnight. This will prevent moisture loss.

Great tip!  Also important to point out that animal proteins normally cooked la minute will, if cooked for too long a time, be rendered into a tasteless sponge that leeches out its internal moisture and flavour compounds; these cuts are best cooked at a higher target temperature for relatively shorter amounts of time until the desired internal temperature is reached.  Pre-salting fish (3 - 4% by weight) for ten minutes followed by a rinse is also a necessity; this helps set albumen so it doesn't snot out during the cooking process.
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
Butternut Squash Glazed in a Caramelized Hazelnut Butter> 175F @ 2 hours till tender, but shape maintained:

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I dropped a couple of 1" chuck eye steaks at 8am today (131F). Will pull them out for finishing in the grill pan at 6:30p.

Got them at the Harris Teeter this weekend. They were $5.49/lb, BUT they were buy one get one free, so $2.79/lb. I bought several, hit them with S&P, vacuum sealed and froze them.

I expect they will be great. Why not??
Practice makes pizza

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »

I expect they will be great. Why not??

Dont get your hopes up. Is chuck eye steaks just a eye of round cut into steaks? If so, its going to end up dry and sawdust/chaulky texture. Its what happens to very lean beef cook for long periods of time. Something like that would better seared in a really hot pan to medium rare.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
Dont get your hopes up. Is chuck eye steaks just a eye of round cut into steaks? If so, its going to end up dry and sawdust/chaulky texture. Its what happens to very lean beef cook for long periods of time. Something like that would better seared in a really hot pan to medium rare.

Eye of round is from the round (hip) of the cow. It's quite lean. Not one of the cuts of meat I'll ever choose to buy.

Chuck eye is the muscle in the shoulder (chuck) that faces the ribeye. Oftentimes, the primal saw cut will miss by a vertebrae or two, and what's labeled chuck eye is actually a ribeye steak.

Next time you're in the meat dept., look for a chuck eye steak. Grab a ribeye steak and compare. You'll see a marked similarity, as the cuts are adjacent. You'll also see a marked difference in price.

Pic

Chuck eye on the left, Ribeye on the right
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:22:15 PM by Mmmph »
Practice makes pizza

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Are Mmph's "eye of round" steaks different from the "eye round roasts" being used to make faux beef tenderloin Chefy?

Bob

Ooops, I see Mmmph is using chuck eye.   Still though, everyone is using eye of round for faux tenderloin....    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28886.0.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:52:26 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »
Eye of round is from the round (hip) of the cow. It's quite lean. Not one of the cuts of meat I'll ever choose to buy.

Chuck eye is the muscle in the shoulder (chuck) that faces the ribeye. Oftentimes, the primal saw cut will miss by a vertebrae or two, and what's labeled chuck eye is actually a ribeye steak.

Next time you're in the meat dept., look for a chuck eye steak. Grab a ribeye steak and compare. You'll see a marked similarity, as the cuts are adjacent. You'll also see a marked difference in price.

Pic

Chuck eye on the left, Ribeye on the right

My bad. I have never seen a roast that looked like that picture above being compared to a rib roast. In my area they sell eye of round and steaks that are labeled "eye steaks" that look like thin cut filets but very lean, almost not a speck of marble in them. Thats why i asked. I will have to see if i can find these "Chuck eye roasts" Obviously would have to be "on sale" because i can get select grade rib roasts for $5.99/lb pretty much every week they go on sale somewhere locally.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
If you go to Sam's, Costco, or RD you can buy a whole chuck roll, NOT shoulder clod, different cut of meat, or a case as I did and break it to it's separate muscle groups. Freeze up and label as Delmonico or Chuck eye cuts, Denver cuts and the rest gets labeled as stew/burger

jon
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
If you go to Sam's, Costco, or RD you can buy a whole chuck roll, NOT shoulder clod, different cut of meat, or a case as I did and break it to it's separate muscle groups. Freeze up and label as Delmonico or Chuck eye cuts, Denver cuts and the rest gets labeled as stew/burger

jon

I priced a chuck roll once at a BJ's wholesale. I think it was $2.99/lb and I think the guy said the entire roll was $70. Was a bit more then i was looking to spend so i passed. I dont even know how to break it down to get the most out of it. I really just wanted a chuck roast that was thicker then the ones they sell in the grocery stores.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:41 AM »
Youtube or Google chuck roll butchering/fabrication/breakdown and watch a few videos, anyone can do this. If you've hunted, buthchered at all, this is a no brainer for most. Great meat to for steaks, roasts and burger and extra fat for the birds!!

jon
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
My Anova finally showed up today....3 weeks to the day.

Anyone have experience with Costco's "Prime" grade beef? I just went there and scored Prime grade whole boneless top sirloin for $3.69lb.!  :o   It even has the cap off so this is just one nice looking hunk o meat...got 2, 9 pounders. This was my first time back in Costco since 2001 so I buddied up to one of the "butchers". He noticed I had a whole "Prime" ribeye($10.98lb) in my cart and asked if I liked sirloin. Told him that's actually my favorite but my G/F likes the ribeye.....he said "wait right here" and returned with one of the cry vaced whole sirloins. I saw the prime sticker and the label showed $3.69 a lb.  ???   Said they normally keep those "in the back" in order to try and push the prime ribeye's and NY strips...asked him if he had another one and he said , sure!
Hope this is the real deal.  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"