A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Pizza Bible  (Read 91755 times)

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Pizza Bible
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
They added a few sample recipes, including recipes for deep dish and Neapolitan dough, to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607746050/?tag=pmak-20

They also launched a forum:

http://www.thepizzabible.com/

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
I just received a shipment email from Amazon.  My copy arrives Tuesday.  The price I paid when I "pre-ordered" a couple of days ago was $20.24.  The price right now is $16.19.  The pre-order guarantee should mean they will automatically refund me the difference.

I chose not to order from FG Pizza @ $27.99 even though those come with Tony's autograph.  One of these days I will haul my butt downtown (hopefully on a date he is there) and try to get it personally. :)

Will be interested in sharing thoughts after reading through it, etc.

- Mitch
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 01:14:00 AM »
pizzamaking.com and the Lehmann dough calculator get a mention in the part about baker's percentages.

Offline eiram21

• Feeling Foodish
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I just received my copy  - surprised to see that the NY style pizza calls for a master dough that contains 1% yeast (the one without starter)...too much yeast for me, but I may try the 0.5% version that includes a starter.

I'm also super excited to try the Detroit style pizza which I love and have not been able to replicate. On the other hand, I'm very happy with my NY pizzas at home.
Marie

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
...surprised to see that the NY style pizza calls for a master dough that contains 1% yeast...

Wait until you see the toppings the recipe calls for. :)

Not traditional, but not bad either. He explains his choices in the recipe's intro and in the regional American chapter's intro.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
 just got it. looks like a lot of great information.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
I agree Larry. My wife told me, "Don't you DARE take that thing in the bathroom!"

-Cal

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:10 PM »
My copy of "The Pizza Bible" arrived today. Looking through it quickly, all I can say is that it  is incredible. I can't wait to try out the recipes.

bakerbill

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
 so far very good. i had said earlier that his Chicago DD was how i would look at the book. his recipe includes cornmeal, not much but it is there. the recipes in our Chicago section are much more authentic, if not actual clones.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
My copy of "The Pizza Bible" arrived today. Looking through it quickly, all I can say is that it  is incredible. I can't wait to try out the recipes.

bakerbill

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
so far very good. i had said earlier that his Chicago DD was how i would look at the book. his recipe includes cornmeal, not much but it is there. the recipes in our Chicago section are much more authentic, if not actual clones.
These guys don`t write......most of the work is done by someone else and then `signed`off. 

I`m not too thrilled with the use of the word `Bible` in this instance either.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:44:45 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
So far, in my first quick run-through, I think this book is an excellent endeavor. 

There may not be a lot of "really new things" relative to the content of this website but it seems well written, well organized and thorough.  Just a few random things that I spotted:

- Tony suggests that you have 2 pizza stones in your oven.  That way, as the first fades in giving up heat, you can move the pie to the other - or you can alternate between pies.  I have not personally seen that concept discussed here (although with 10's of thousands of postings, who knows?).

- Another theme was that almost every single pie is made with a poolish / preferment and he says that is the case for almost all of their pies in his restaurants.

- Every recipe for dough is given in baker's percents and metric weights are offered.

- A ton of recipes in many styles.  Doughs, sauces, toppings, etc.

$20 well spent.

- Mitch

Mitch

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »
I think I've given the definitive Amazon review thusfar.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
There may not be a lot of "really new things" relative to the content of this website but it seems well written, well organized and thorough.  Just a few random things that I spotted:

- Tony suggests that you have 2 pizza stones in your oven.  That way, as the first fades in giving up heat, you can move the pie to the other - or you can alternate between pies.  I have not personally seen that concept discussed here (although with 10's of thousands of postings, who knows?).

- Mitch
Mitch,

Actually, using two pizza stones in an oven is not new. In fact, our own Steve Zinski, the owner and Administrator of this forum, used two stones many years ago and was featured in the theartisan.net website as a result, as noted in Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3425.msg29092.html#msg29092. The actual link to the theartisan.net feature on Steve's use of the two stone method is at http://www.theartisan.net/pizzabas.htm. The theartisan.net website itself has been around since the 90s.

I have tried the two stone method in my oven on a few occasions. The principal drawback in my case in my oven was that the top stone shielded the pizza from view, even though I have a decent size window in my oven door, so I could not visually monitor the progress of the bake without opening the oven door. Also, it takes longer to heat two stones than one stone. And, of course, there is an added expense to have two stones.

Peter

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
Peter - I should have done a comprehensive google search - I knew that you would snag me on this!  Everything useful is to be found (somewhere) on this forum.  Figures you would know where.   Thanks for finding it.  8)  I am not sure if this is what Steve was getting at, but Tony seems to be pushing for 2 stones to ensure there is sufficient heat through the entire bake.  He suggests transferring from one stone to the other at about the halfway point and does not care if it is bottom to top or top to bottom. 

Jonas, I read your Amazon review - very thoughtfully and thoroughly written. 

- Mitch

Mitch

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
Some folks just throw all of their cast iron in the stove to ramp up the thermal mass.  On occasion, I do that out of laziness because I have two halves of my dutch oven in there after I bake bread and sometimes I leave them in when it is time to make a pizza.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Before I moved to soapstone and then to steel, I used two 14" round pizza stones. It worked well to move between the staggered locations in the oven.  Briefly, I was using soapstone on the bottom and steel on the top until Scott123 recommended against it due to the heat being absorbed by the soapstone. Does the book discuss steel or other baking surfaces?
Thanks,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »

Thanks for the plug for the forum. :)

As great as Tony's book is in terms of being very readable and being more correct than not, there are many issues that arise with every aspiring pizza maker that require assistance from real human beings.

There are some other niggles I've caught.  Gemignani doesn't understand how to convert from ADY to IDY and he dismisses IDY outright.     

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »
Gemignani suggests using two pieces of steel (thickness not specified) or two stones (no specifications) with an oven temperature of 500 degrees (1 hour preheat) and he's content with 12-minute bake times for NY-style pizza.  He even goes so far as to list this as a "commandment". 

As far as I'm concerned, with the thousands of spectacular  pizzas baked on a single baking surface with shorter bake timed, he needs to conclusively demonstrate that his mandated approach is superior.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
Thanks Jonas!
I agree with you on the single cooking floor and the many examples of great home pizza on the forum.  I wonder if the library will have it. I think I'll read it but may not enjoy it as a pizza reference "cookbook."  Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.