A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mmmmmmmm NY Pizza  (Read 2503 times)

Offline mkruce25

• I Love Pizza!
    • Restaurant Apps that Sell
Mmmmmmmm NY Pizza
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
Hi everyone!  As a lifelong wannabe at home pizza maker, I can't thank everyone here enough for all the great information on this site.  As a South Philly kid, now transplated at the Jersey shore, I can now make a pizza that takes me back to my youth!  Thanx again!

Mike
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:41:22 PM by mkruce25 »

Offline mkruce25

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mmmmmmmm NY Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
Here's another shot.....

Offline mkruce25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
And if you folks hate using those upright cheese shredders (like I did), this is a god-send!  At only $25, you can do a couple of pounds of cheese in under 2 minutes!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
Mike,

Very nice job.

Can you tell us which NY style dough formulation you used, or at least started with? I see also that you used a perforated pan. Was the pizza actually baked on that pan?

Finally, can you tell us where you found the grater?

Thanks.

Peter

Offline mkruce25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 03:21:24 PM »
Mike,

Very nice job.

Can you tell us which NY style dough formulation you used, or at least started with? I see also that you used a perforated pan. Was the pizza actually baked on that pan?

Finally, can you tell us where you found the grater?

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Pete!  I must say your info was and is priceless!  Many, many thanx for ALL that you contribute!  My dough was from your reduction of the Lehmann recipe:

Flour (100%)  2 1/4 C  (King Arthur Bread Flour) I'm waiting for my KASL to come.
Water (63%)  3/4 C
Salt (1.75%)  7/8 t  (Kosher Salt)
Oil (1%)  5/8 t
IDY (0.50%)  1/2 t  (I tried 1/4 t, but I like 1/2 t better)
Sugar (0.50%) 1/2 t
Corn Meal for the peel.
24 Hour refrigerated proof.  And it streches out great for a 16" pie.

Since I don't own a KA or any other heavy duty mixer, I'm Old Skool and do it all by hand.  Well, mixing bowl, wooden spoon and elbow grease.  I really enjoy the feel of the dough in my hands...especially kneading it.  If I was to make lotsa dough, I guess I would invest in a mixer.  But for making one or two balls, I'm good doing it the Old Fashioned way!  :-D

My cheese is: Stella Low Moisture Whole Milk (60%) and Rica Low Moisture MILD Provolone (40%).  After putting on the sauce, I put a good bit of Pecorino Romano around the center of the pie.  What a great first bite taste!  And the cheese mix gives a great chewy and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y cheese.  Just as I remember as a kid.  I'm waiting for my Grande Low Moisture Whole Milk to get here.  I'm really anxious to try it out.

The sauce was Red Pack Tomato Puree (29 0z can).  Modified with 2 T sugar, 1 T Garlic Powder, 1 T Basil, and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the can of water.

The pie was baked on quarry tiles at 550 Degrees for about 8 minutes in a standard electric oven, with the tiles in the middle of the oven.  After about 6 minutes, I turn on the broiler to brown the top a bit.  It works out just great.  Then I put it on the cooling/serving tray (as shown in the picture).  Its elevated about 1/4 inch so it vents beautifully.

The grater was purchased here :http://www.fantes.com/graters.htm#table_mount.  As I said, I really love it, and it makes it so easy to grate cheese.

Thanx again.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:42:43 PM by mkruce25 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 04:02:31 PM »
Mike,

Pizza making on this forum is a collaborative, evolutionary process. When I first joined the forum, I used just a pizza stone. Then I started reading about Steve's two-stone method. He and other members contributed their designs of "mini-ovens" built inside of their regular home ovens using stones and/or tiles to, in effect, simulate a commercial deck oven. Along the way I learned how to use pizza screens to make pizzas that were bigger than my stone could accommodate, but still make use of the stone to get exposure to the high heat that a stone provides. Then, through the helpful tips of members, I learned that the broiler could be used in many different ways to crank up oven/stone/tile temperatures and help brown the crusts and achieve the right balance between the baking of the tops and bottoms of the pizzas. Now, I use all of these "tools" based on the results I am trying to achieve. I doubt that I would have thought of most of these tools if our innovative and creative members did not experiment with them.

Thanks for the grater link. I also liked your idea of putting some grated Romano cheese in the center of the pizza. I recently bought a fresh chunk of the Pecorino Romano and will use it on a future NY style pizza.

Peter

Offline pizzagirl

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »
Great job ...
Your worst day at Grimaldi's, is better than your best day fishing ...

wordpress