Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 123250 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #575 on: May 03, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
Freedom comes with responsiblities

Clearly!  :)

Thanks Crispy...of course  this is still a work in progress for me  I did try your technique with the regulator up full but the temps kept getting hotter and hotter. Obviously I'm missing a trick there, because it would be nice to have the ability to boost and I had the regulator down so far (or maybe I'd triggered the safety) that when I tried to boost the flame at end of bake, my flame position with BS dial at 4 o'clock position was the same flame as turned all the way up. So there was something not quite right. I do see that my thinking that the temp could be set and would remain where it's set was mistaken.  I'm wondering maybe if I split the difference and turn my regulator (and thanks for that explanation..I didn't know that) down one turn instead of two, I can keep the temps from blooming so much between pies, and still have the option for a blast o' heat which I definitely like.

Thanks so much!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #576 on: May 05, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »

I believe some may not understand the regulator correctly. Mine is marked "5PSIG" which leads one to think 5 is the maximum. These are 20 PSI regulators! If you think otherwise just attach a standard BBQ regulator, all of which are 10 PSI-fixed. You will see that the flame is, well, limp!
-Crispy

In an effort to promote safety, there is a tiny error in the above that I would like to clarify.  Standard backyard BBQs are fitted with a 10" water column regulator which equates to about 3/8 PSI.  Using a standard regulator with the Blackstone results in a 'limp' flame.

The first version of the Blackstone uses a 10 PSI regulator that really puts out 10 PSI (by my measurements) and produces a "scary" flame.  The more recent, AKA second, version uses a 5 PSI regulator that puts out a "healthy" flame.

AFIK, only one heat-seeking forum member used a 30 PSI regulator and that was Larry (thezaman).  Larry had the good sense to use a custom control valve in his setup as described here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg317636#msg317636

Dave

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #577 on: May 06, 2015, 05:30:44 AM »
In an effort to promote safety, there is a tiny error in the above that I would like to clarify.  Standard backyard BBQs are fitted with a 10" water column regulator which equates to about 3/8 PSI.  Using a standard regulator with the Blackstone results in a 'limp' flame.

The first version of the Blackstone uses a 10 PSI regulator that really puts out 10 PSI (by my measurements) and produces a "scary" flame.  The more recent, AKA second, version uses a 5 PSI regulator that puts out a "healthy" flame.

AFIK, only one heat-seeking forum member used a 30 PSI regulator and that was Larry (thezaman).  Larry had the good sense to use a custom control valve in his setup as described here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg317636#msg317636

Dave

Opps! Dave is correct. Don't blow yourself up with the wrong regulator. Somehow I have always "known" that that standard BBQ regulators are 10 psi, it's just that they are not! :o
Thanks Dave!

-Crispy
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Offline I Like Pie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
Just got my Blackstone yesterday.  It looks like my bottom stone is about a half inch lower at the front than it is at the back.  Is this common?  I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about it...only posting because before I got out the level it looked like it was more than that.

Dave

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »
Does it rotate "in plane" (without visible wobble)? If it wobbles while rotating, then the shaft/platter weld is bent - it's easy to bend back.
In grams we trust.

Offline I Like Pie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #580 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:26 AM »
It rotates without wobble now, yes. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline JasonUrquhart

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone Mods and Adjustments - Switch Mod
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Following the advice on this forum I added a switch to the front of the blackstone for easier access to turn the motor on/off.

I purchased a toggle switch, rubber boot and 5.5mm plug extension cord.
This let me avoid cutting the power adapter, making it easier to use any power adapter or remove it. Also didn't need to cut into the motor box. As this was a newer unit, I didn't need to revers the polarity to change the motor spin direction.

Word of caution, don't let your 6-year old tighten the nuts - he made scratches on the stainless.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:40:33 AM by JasonUrquhart »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
Nice work.  I like putting the switch on the front,  I only turn it off to load the pie, but the seeing the switch reminds me to make sure I plug in the motor before firing up the BS.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
You might want to keep an eye on the heat in that area.  Going from memory, Bobino wasn't keen on fiddling with that switch after a quick stone warm up.  The flame flowed over the top and down, heating the switch.  AFIK, the switch never failed but YMMV.
Dave   

Offline JasonUrquhart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #584 on: July 17, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll keep an eye on it, should it be an issue I'll lower the switch or shield it somehow.

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #585 on: July 18, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
I took the simplest route.  I just use a power strip with a button on it.  It fits nicely in the front basket, and if I have to swap out the rotisserie motor (I have a spare on hand), I just plug the new one into the strip.
--pat--

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #586 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
Mine is even easier, use batteries and the switch on the motor.  ;)
Hans

Offline Mtlpizza456

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
You can find the Chauflector PDF on reply 68
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg272182#msg272182
Dave

Hey all,

Concerning the post #68 that contained a PDF template for the Chauflector; does anyone have a CAD version of the template? Overkill, maybe, but I'd rather source it then make it.

Thanks, cheers!

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
I did a Chauflector a little differently, instead of placing above the stone deflecting the flame and heat back down on the top of the stone/pie, I put a similar plate a few inches above the burner itself, deflecting the flame and heat across the bottom of oven and stone creating a more even distribution of heat instead of the hot spot on the right. That, a thicker, cordierite 1" stone and a sheet metal cover hinged on one side so I can drop it over the opening to deflect back into the oven. The 3 major changes I've done besides a little switch to disable platter during launch

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline red kiosk

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #589 on: July 27, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
Concerning the post #68 that contained a PDF template for the Chauflector; does anyone have a CAD version of the template? Overkill, maybe, but I'd rather source it then make it.

Overkill? Yes! But who am I to say!  :D

PM me. I still have my original CAD .dwg file and can attach it to your email. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline red kiosk

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #590 on: July 27, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »

Hey Phil,

Did you PM me the correct email address? Tried sending file twice but it rejected your email address. "Remote SMTP server has rejected address" "No such user here". Double check it again. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline mmille24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
I like to launch when the stone is around 900. However about time the pizza fully cooked, my cheese is disintegrated. Anyone have a good mod for lower the dome temp?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #592 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
I like to launch when the stone is around 900. However about time the pizza fully cooked, my cheese is disintegrated. Anyone have a good mod for lower the dome temp?
Hold metal peel over pie while baking. ??
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #593 on: October 25, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
I've turned the burner all the way down and let the bottom cook a little more without the top getting full blast. Haven't had a problem with cheese but pepperoni can get a little over done.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #594 on: October 25, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

I generally don't bake Neapolitan pizzas, but my normal workflow is to launch at 700-800F (depending on what I'm going for) and then keep the burner off for the first minute.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.