A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 133424 times)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »
You could get this one for $259 dollars and get 20% off that price with one of their coupons. Assuming a Harbor Freight Tools store somewhere near you....

PS. But not a good option for stairs.

I've got a miter saw stand that works in a similar fashion to that stand, Norm. I was thinking along the lines of something like that for GB, but could not get around the how to secure the oven part. Especially with the feet of the oven and need for vent space on the bottom. 
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

(Please assume all appropriate genre identification disclaimers as rendered.)

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #441 on: July 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #442 on: July 17, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »
There's also appliance moving straps if you have someone else to to help you. Surprisingly easy to use and able to lift a lot more than you'd expect without straining youself!!

http://www.problemsolvers.com/mobi/forearm-forklift-moving-harness-set-of-2.htm?aff=5512&CAWELAID=530007760000010442&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15134501881&CATCI=pla-18283950120&catargetid=530007760000012741&cadevice=m&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI_iw-mGNW4aNKcMVhyJxw_3DxAtrAZ17UKmUuTCrBUtF78rFcgEHaBoCkVYQAvD_BwE
I've got a miter saw stand that works in a similar fashion to that stand, Norm. I was thinking along the lines of something like that for GB, but could not get around the how to secure the oven part. Especially with the feet of the oven and need for vent space on the bottom. 
You could get this one for $259 dollars and get 20% off that price with one of their coupons. Assuming a Harbor Freight Tools store somewhere near you....

PS. But not a good option for stairs.

A solid hand truck would probably do the trick but don't take my word for it. Mine is stationary, sitting on a stainless steel table. Also, you have vents on both sides which would make loading it vertical on a dolly challenging without bending the vents. Maybe a soft, thick blanket underneath would do the trick.

I'll post a pic of the vents. Gimme a sec...
Thanks for all these great suggestions, guys.  I was feeling discouraged, but I really think that with a couple of good fire blankets, those shoulder straps, a dolly, and a helper, I can make this work.  I just made a 19-day dough tonight.  It was the last of the batch.  Still alive and well.  I think 19 days is like 102 in dough years.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
Nice, GB. I would have guessed half that age.

Did you happen to take an IR temp reading on the dough at any point in the past week or so?

Roy
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #444 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
I can't really put my finger on it, but your pies hit all the notes of what I'd like to be able to achieve.
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #445 on: July 22, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Nice, GB. I would have guessed half that age.

Did you happen to take an IR temp reading on the dough at any point in the past week or so?

Roy
No, Roy, I didn't.  That would've been a great idea.  I'll do it next time I get a sleeper.

I can't really put my finger on it, but your pies hit all the notes of what I'd like to be able to achieve.
Thanks, QD.  That means a lot because I've spent many years trying to hit those notes.  I suspect we were were both raised on the same type of pizza and are trying to recapture the same things.  This next part may sound dumb, but it's just a thought that has occurred to me.  We all have fond childhood memories of food, entertainment, etc, and sometimes we also have a vision of what those particular things would be like if they were elevated to their highest potential.  The example that I always think of outside of pizza is the Super Friends cartoons that I got up to watch every Saturday morning.  There was something about the concept that just fired my little imagination.  The thing is that when you go back and look at it now, the cartoons are still cool, but the animation's a little cheap, and the plots are paper thin.  Bruce Timm at Warner Brothers obviously grew up on those cartoons too and had a vision of what he had always wished they could be.  He made two seasons of Justice League.  Same concept, same characters, similar but richer drawing style; however this time the characters were fully fleshed,  the stories were very well written, and the animation was beautifully stylized.  That's how I think many of us feel about our pizza.  I can't speak for anyone but myself;  so I won't try, but in my case, I'm trying to capture that memory of the pizza from my youth and make it what I always wanted it to be.  Glad it works for you too.   :chef:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:35:16 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #446 on: July 22, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
Well said, GB.

In the case of food, maybe a little touch hyper-realism won't hurt anyone.  ;D

Roy

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #447 on: July 22, 2017, 10:24:43 PM »
gb, beautifully put, this is one of those times I'd  like a "love button" instead of a "like button".  I grew up eating ny style slice pizza, in my twenties, I moved to brooklyn and discovered "ny elite" style, which I came to prefer. Your pizza reminds of those pies.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:28:09 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
No, Roy, I didn't.  That would've been a great idea.  I'll do it next time I get a sleeper.
GB,
fwiw, I had my fridge up and run cold on me last week which left me with some under-developed dough. One In particular was just left in the coldest spot on my dough shelf. That spot never ranges much and is normally 34.5F-35F. I use it to slow the far too occasional renegade. The other three spots are normally in the 36-37.5F range.

Anyhow, I left one ball in that spot exclusively to get an idea of how long it will go and be usable. It was 33.3F this morning, which is the coldest it has been. It is 5-days old and holding it's shape well. By comparison, the next batch is 2 days old and are all slightly bigger. I'm gong to leave this one in place for another week to see what I get. Basically, it's to see if I can somehow steer a long term dough into that state of suspended animation and have it usable. 

Roy

(ps. Everything above on temps is IR measuring top center of dough right away when taking the lids off. )

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #449 on: Yesterday at 04:46:14 PM »
GB,
fwiw, I had my fridge up and run cold on me last week which left me with some under-developed dough. One In particular was just left in the coldest spot on my dough shelf. That spot never ranges much and is normally 34.5F-35F. I use it to slow the far too occasional renegade. The other three spots are normally in the 36-37.5F range.

Anyhow, I left one ball in that spot exclusively to get an idea of how long it will go and be usable. It was 33.3F this morning, which is the coldest it has been. It is 5-days old and holding it's shape well. By comparison, the next batch is 2 days old and are all slightly bigger. I'm gong to leave this one in place for another week to see what I get. Basically, it's to see if I can somehow steer a long term dough into that state of suspended animation and have it usable. 

Roy

(ps. Everything above on temps is IR measuring top center of dough right away when taking the lids off. )
I'll refer back here when I get the opportunity to take that measurement.

wordpress