Author Topic: Dough gets dry crusty layer on outside  (Read 240 times)

Offline cavino

• I Love Pizza!
Dough gets dry crusty layer on outside
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »
Hey guys and gals!

So when I'm making more than a few pizzas, by the time I get to the last few dough balls, they've formed a bit of the crusty layer on the outside.  I know I can prevent this by constantly covering them with an air tight seal (plastic wrap after I grab a new dough ball out of the tray) or maybe put the dough balls in separate containers.

What do you think the best method is to prevent this from happening?  What's your set up when making, let's say, more than 5 or 6 pies for a group of friends that you've invited over for dinner?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Dough gets dry crusty layer on outside
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »
I either wipe all of my dough balls with a little oil or I use a plastic storage box about 6-inches deep that I bought at Walmart that I keep the dough balls in while they're awaiting their turn on the bench. If you're only looking to hold the dough balls for 15 to 20-minutes the oil works fine but if it will be longer than that you will need to cover them, doesn't need to be air tight, in fact you can put them into a roasting pan and drape with a damp towel too, works just fine.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

wordpress