A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Cones  (Read 51738 times)

Offline rahaaland

Pizza Cones
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Has anyone tried the Pizza Cone (http: //slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/pizza-in-a-cone-crispycones.html)? It seems like a new pizza/gyro hybrid, calzone alternative. Looks like it would sell great to kids.

Offline rockabilly

Re: Pizza Cones
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I'd been noticing ovens on some Asian sourcing sites that say they are great for cooking pizza cones. Anyone know where you can get pre made par baked cones?

Offline Bob1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
I do not know where to get them but I saw a video of the conveyer cooker in operation.

http://pizzacone.org/Website/Pizcon.html

Bob

Offline rockabilly

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
just contacted a manufacturer of the cone molding machines, still waiting on a price, they look very cool and simple to use.

Offline rockabilly

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
I got a quote from a company in Brazil for $2,300 for a 2 cone machine and another from a Chinese company for $1,200 for a 4 cone machine. Both machines mold and par bake the cones. I plan on buying one just depends on the freight etc. from Brazil it's $400

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
rockabilly,
 It will be interesting to see how it takes off.  I would think an open cheesesteak would be good.  I wonder about the pizza for a cone that size.  I would think that you would want to add a smaller cone inside to get the proper ratio of cheese to crust, or add toppings to help fill the middle.  It will also be interesting to see what they recommend for a dough formula to achieve the optimum texture.

Market wise I would make the cone about 1/2 to 1/3 that size and concentrate on concessions for zoos, sporting events, fairs, theme parks etc.  Easy to eat while standing, lower price, and make it up on volume. But then again if I was that smart I would have invented it.  I would think that they have all ready done tests to prove this design.  Let us know how it works out.

Good luck,

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
I used to make waffle cones at my funnel cake stand.  They were easy to make with a piece of equipment like this.  I am not sure how that would work in making pizza cones. Of course they didnít bake the cones, you needed the waffle iron to do that. 
http://www.concessionstands.com/s.nl/it.A/id.716/.f

Here is a cheap Pizzelle-Waffle Ice cream Cone Roller Hard Wood for Sale on Ebay for 15.99.  Maybe someone could experiment with one.  Put this number in the search at Ebay.

Item number:   130370163028

Norma
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:50:09 PM by norma427 »

Offline rockabilly

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
I actually ordered a waffle cone iron and some pizzelle roller, will test it out before ordering the real cone maker, but what is nice about the cone maker is it actually molds the dough so the insides wont drip out the bottom. By the way, this is the recipe for a batch of the dough for the cone maker:
flour: 5kg
starch: 1kg
yeast powder: 20g
sodium bicarbonate: 20g
water: 7 liters
sugar: 1.5 kg
veg. oil: 100ml
salt: 15g
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:50:49 PM by rockabilly »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:27:07 AM »
I actually ordered a waffle cone iron and some pizzelle roller, will test it out before ordering the real cone maker, but what is nice about the cone maker is it actually molds the dough so the insides wont drip out the bottom. By the way, this is the recipe for a batch of the dough for the cone maker:
flour: 5kg
starch: 1kg
yeast powder: 20g
sodium bicarbonate: 20g
water: 7 liters
sugar: 1.5 kg
veg. oil: 100ml
salt: 15g

rockabilly,

Best of luck in trying the pizza cones with the pizzelle roller and waffle iron.  I could see the advantages of the real cone maker in molding and baking the pizza cones.
Thanks for the formula when making the dough.  I still have a cone roller, but no waffle maker.  If I find the time, I also will try to experiment with it to see what kinds of results I get in an oven. I would imagine the cones would be more like a thin Chicago style pie, in being able to hold their shape.  There weren't any problems with the waffle cones for ice cream leaking, unless the weather was really hot.  With the addition of pizza topping and them being thicker, there shouldn't be any problems with them leaking.
Post if you have time of pictures of your experiments.  If I get time to try them also, I will post pictures.

Best of luck,

Norma

Offline rockabilly

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
Will do, after watching some videos on making waffle cones it looks like it might work, just don't know how the dough will work in a waffle cone iron.

I just contacted my customs broker and he is figuring out the cost of freight for a cone molding machine ($1200) and oven ($600) from China. I think it will be only a few hundred for freight and customs so I think I will be going with a machine but until then I will experiment with the waffle iron and see what I can do, If I come up with something good I may not order the real equipment.

Cheers!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Will do, after watching some videos on making waffle cones it looks like it might work, just don't know how the dough will work in a waffle cone iron.

I just contacted my customs broker and he is figuring out the cost of freight for a cone molding machine ($1200) and oven ($600) from China. I think it will be only a few hundred for freight and customs so I think I will be going with a machine but until then I will experiment with the waffle iron and see what I can do, If I come up with something good I may not order the real equipment.

Cheers!

rockabilly,

Best of luck in trying the pizza cones with the waffle cone iron.  :) When I made my dough for the waffle cones it was like a medium pancake batter.  Will be interesting to see how your dough works out.  That's a lot of money to spend it you can't be sure the waffle cones will sell.  It would be good to experiment first and see what you can come up with.
If I find time in the next few weeks, I will experiment, also.  Will post if I come up with something.

Norma

Offline garyd

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 04:32:42 AM »
There is nothing new about this. When I was a kid over 30 years ago, there was a guy in a little roadside snack bar in Wheat Ridge CO. selling "Mexicone" (Mexican food stples like tacos and burritos configured into cones and "Pizza-cones" (Pizza configured into a cone). It was locally successful but his plans to franchise it like McDonalds and Tacobell obviously wasn't successful.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:22 AM »
garyd,

I know there is nothing really new about this same type of idea, but with pizza dough it would be harder to execute. There  are other people that have tried basically the same idea and some have succeeded in producing pretzel cones and other types.  Here are some links about different types of ice cream cones and a patent applied for in making pretzel cones out of viscous dough.

http://www.jaswholesale.com/products/details.phtml?f_id=167

http://www.coneguys.com/index.html

http://www.taquitos.net/food/Pretzel_Cones

Here is a patent applied for in making pretzel cones out of viscous dough.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4795652/fulltext.html

This article is supposed to be about inventing the ice cream cone, really like a biscuit dough being made for ice cream or Italian Ice.
http://maliha11.wordpress.com/2007/08/30/ice-cream-cones

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
I tried an experiment with making pizza cones today.  I used the Giordano's style dough when trying to make the pizza cones. I first rolled out the dough and tried to form them on a wooden waffle cone mold.  I pinched the end of the dough.  It was easy to do this with all the oil in the Giordanoís style dough.  I then put the cone mold and dough on a screen and put them into the oven.  I rotated the cone different times. On the pictures it can be seen the marks on the pizza cone from the screen. Then the cone was filled with sauce and dressed on the top with cheese and small triangles of pepperoni.  I cut a hole and made a holder out of an aluminum pan and put the pizza cone back into the oven until it was finished.  The resulting pizza cone was very good and the crust was crispy. The pizza cone didnít leak. There would have to be some modifications in the size of the cone, but this was a start. 

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
Norma,

That looks good.  It is more the size and proportion I was thinkind about.  It is smaller than the commercial one correct? 

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 09:53:40 PM »
Norma,

That looks good.  It is more the size and proportion I was thinkind about.  It is smaller than the commercial one correct? 

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for saying the pizza cone looked good.  Yes, I think it was smaller than the regular pizza cones, but this was just an experiment to see if you could make a crust for the cone.  When I have time I will experiment with it more.  At least it worked.  :)

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
Norma,
I will be interested to see how you like the different sizes.  It seems to me that yours is a good ratio.  I do not think I would care for one that gets real wide at the top.  It seems like there would be way to much sauce and cheese to deal with.

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
Norma,
I will be interested to see how you like the different sizes.  It seems to me that yours is a good ratio.  I do not think I would care for one that gets real wide at the top.  It seems like there would be way to much sauce and cheese to deal with.

Bob

Bob,

I will have to think of something I could use for the next experiment with the pizza cones to make the cone larger. It has to be something that the dough can wrap around and also something you can put into the oven to hold the shape. Maybe some kind of small rolling pin.  ::)  The Giordanoís style dough did work out good and it held the topping in well.  The Giordano's style dough was nice and crispy.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »
Norma,
How about cutting a cheap aluminum  pie tin one edge to center and then overlapping it.  I would think you could then crimp the upper lip to hold it together.

Bob