A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: GF Naan  (Read 1262 times)

Offline jinx

• I Love Pizza!
GF Naan
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
I made GF Naan today for my significant other who I've been trying to make GF breads and pastas for but haven't had the best of success.   Today I converted a recipe that was sent to me by my buddy Qarl...  Recipe is below.... my results were fantastic but I had to make a few adjustments since his recipe is for normal flour. 

I first had to me the Self-Rising flour, so I did a google search to get some ideas.... and landed on this one. http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2012/06/self-rising-flour-gluten-free/

Self-Rising Flour, Gluten-Free

1 cup Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour mix (or mix of your choice)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Mix together and use as needed. Can be doubled, tripled, etc.

This mixture can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place or in the fridge. It will expire when the baking powder expires, so you might want to mark the expiration date found on the baking powder container onto your self-rising flour container.

I then followed the recipe below with a couple of minor exceptions.  My dough was way to sticky so I wound up adding a bit more flour to try and make it a little more reasonable to handle... mine was literally like wall spackle at first. When I was able to get it to the point where I could handle it, I put it on a well floured surface and made the ball.  From there I let it sit for 30 minutes, then I cut it into four and cut each piece yet again.  I then balled them on the floured surface and lit my Blackstone Pizza Oven.  Here's the other thing that I did different.  I did not use a rolling pin.... I tried, but even with all the flour, it would stick so I just used my hand to press it out and lightly floured the top so it wouldn't stick to my hand... I then transferred all the "pancakes" to a floured cookie sheet, sprayed them with EVOO and sprinkled with salt and garlic.  Then off to the Blackstone Oven they went.... They cooked very fast and puffed up so much that they almost looked like Pita Bread.  They didn't quite separate like Pita when we ate them, but they were yummy.

Naan Recipe

500 grams of self rising flour.  590 grams of 2% Fage plain yogurt.  Mix in mixer until a sticky ball forms.  on a well floured counter divide into 4 balls and let rest 30 minutes.  Meanwhile heat oven to about 700 degrees.   Roll out to about 1/4 thick using a rolling pin and bake until bubbly and brown

Oh.. brush with EVOO before sticking in oven

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: GF Naan
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »
nice job

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Why no oil in the dough?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jinx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »
I sprayed it with oil before going into the BS, but no oil in the dough only because the recipe that I was given didn't call for it.  Felt like I had to start somewhere and I was already changing the recipe to be gluten free, I didn't want to mess with it too much.  Next time I can add some oil for sure.

Offline jinx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »
I should add that I used Jule's Gluten Free flour...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
I'v never seen a naan recipe that didn't call for oil, and the GF pizza dough I've been playing with uses 4% oil for NP which generally has none. If I was making GF naan, I'd add at least 4%.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jinx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
I'll try adding it in the next run!

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
I think he was basing it on the 2-ingredient dough thread...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34568.0

And followed Jackitup's ideas

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34568.msg344643#msg344643

wordpress