A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: GF pizza recipe  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
GF pizza recipe
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
So we also decided to test out all sorts of GF recipes after a neighbor said she was sensitive and would bring over dough to put in my WFO. it was very wet so we decided to put it in a cast iron skillet. (Big mistake). ...I let the top get brown but didn't realize the rest of the dough was just too wet and after much struggling we were able to get the dough out of the skillet and on to a peel. The next issue was getting it off the peel, then off the deck of the WFO. it was a mess. the next day I began to look for GF options, we tried several premixed options, some were good while hot, but cardboard the next day, others were so complicated I decided not worth the effort. We went so far as to buy frozen GF pizza shells(they are still in the freezer). Went to whole foods to procure the fioreglut, and they didn't have, but told me they would order. As I waited I stumbled on this recipe on Food network
2 large all-purpose potatoes (about 14 ounces)
1/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
2 teaspoons agave syrup or honey
One 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
Kosher salt
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/gluten-free-pizza-dough.html?oc=linkback

I converted everything to Grams and went for it. The results are outstanding. The dough works like playdough if I am being honest. I par bake the crust, then treat like a regular dough. Next time we make I will take pics.

We may go back to see if the store ever got the GF flour while this is not complicated and tastes great, I am always looking for better or easier.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: GF pizza recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:48:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Texture aside, how did it taste?  Any pictures?

I finally got my local Italian store in Edmonton to stock FioreGlut. I've been playing around with it in my home oven in a pan (oven goes to 550 degrees) while debating which pizza oven to buy.  The results have been pretty good, although I'm not a huge fan of their new formulation (they went to gluten free wheat starch, and also have "flavorings" in it, which I can taste...it's okay, sort of buttery to me, but it's not really my thing).

One thing I would suggest if you get the FioreGlut is to add some corn flour to it. That gives you more dough for your money, first of all; and second of all, makes it less "starchy".

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
the taste is great even cold. We started with Yukon Gold, but found them to be to waxy, so we switched to Russets, they are fluffier. I can't taste the potato at all, and if it offends we did play with adding just a small hit of garlic powder. As I roll out the dough I add more rice flour and roll it on my super peel. I par bake them after rolling out to about 3/16 thickness. Here is one of the first ones we did. My wife thought it would be funny to top it with bacon and green onion ala baked potato. the WFO deck was at 800 or so

Online bradtri

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
Do you think the par baking is required or can the toppings be put directly on the unbaked crust?
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »
We do feel par baking is needed, mostly because the dough is a little wetter than a regular dough, so by par baking we drive some moisture out. It also makes it easier to get on and off the peel. I use two super peels as we usually set up a production line when making pizzas and I don't care to fight getting pizzas in the oven. Anyways the gluten free reminds me of play dough, and as long as you have extra rice flour you can keep it from being too sticky, but it does not stretch and return, so I press out out on the peel then deliver to the deck.

Online bradtri

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
ok thx.   We are having a pizza party tomorrow night so I think I might experiment with a couple of these.
A Taste of Naples Pizza

Online bradtri

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Here is my attempt at this recipe.  Not bad tasting, but definitely lacking the texture one is used to with regular dough.  The par bake was really crucial, thanks for the tip.  The first GF pizza was a disaster trying to spread out.  Big improvement on the 2nd one and then I par-baked longer until the crust was actually starting to brown a bit before topping and then putting back in.

A Taste of Naples Pizza

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »
looks good. for me I find keeping extra rice four onhand was key, my wife bought me a marble dough roller, it is small, I laughed when I saw it, but for the GF it works very well. I also use a super peel, the conveyor delivery means I can roll the GF dough on the peel, get it to the thickness I want adding rice flour to keep it from sticking to the peel, or roller. Then the par bake until it gets puffy. I pull it flip and par bake the other side just a bit, pull and let cool. my GF guinea pig and her kids loved that it was not an off flavor. I was surprised at first as to the amount of yeast needed, but with no gluten structure I think it needs that much just to get some sort of rise at all. We are thinking of adding garlic salt or something else to the dough to see if it improves the taste, which is not bad, just always looking to improve.

Cheers,

Online bradtri

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
We are thinking of adding garlic salt or something else to the dough to see if it improves the taste, which is not bad, just always looking to improve.

Cheers,

I was thinking along the same lines that adding some flavor to the dough, perhaps some dried herbs or grated parm

A Taste of Naples Pizza