Pages:
Actions
  • #161 by hammettjr on 29 Sep 2017
  • Looking good!

Yes! What brand of cheddar did you use? I've been experimenting with different cheddars on my Greek pan pies, really like it, and will try some on a NY for sure.

• #162 by jvp123 on 29 Sep 2017
  • So good looking - I'm having a hard time turning away from it - fantastic work on that one - love the crust color too  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

^^^  Nice work!  :chef:
  • #163 by Jersey Pie Boy on 29 Sep 2017
  • Excellent QD!
  • #164 by Hermit on 29 Sep 2017
  • Loving the cappicola!  Great job =)
  • #165 by quietdesperation on 29 Sep 2017
  • thanks everyone! I still have to work on the amount of flour on my peel, I've been using  a semolina/kaap mix and have had a hard time getting the pie off the peel smoothly. For this last pie, I put about 1.5x as much flour as usual on the peel and it slid off beautifully.

Yes! What brand of cheddar did you use? I've been experimenting with different cheddars on my Greek pan pies, really like it, and will try some on a NY for sure.

matt, I was at BJ's and noticed they had bricks of Cabot sharp white cheddar for a good price (something like $3/lb). I didn't know much about the brand but a quick google convinced me that it was probably pretty good. What have been your favorites?
  • #166 by hammettjr on 29 Sep 2017
    matt, I was at BJ's and noticed they had bricks of Cabot sharp white cheddar for a good price (something like $3/lb). I didn't know much about the brand but a quick google convinced me that it was probably pretty good. What have been your favorites?

Interesting, I eat Cabot cheddar as a cold snack almost daily. Given I always have it in the fridge, it's what I turned to for my pizza. But I thought it was a bit strong on my pizza and based on Norma's recommendation I tried Cracker Barrel Vermont sharp white for the first time last weekend and loved it melted with mozz 50/50. It seems popular amongst forum members, we've been discussing it in the thread below.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49191.0

• #167 by quietdesperation on 29 Sep 2017
  • thanks matt, after I work my way through the brick of cabot, I'll give it a try. It's too bad the percorino romano was so salty, it also added a nice flavor dimension.
  • #168 by hammettjr on 29 Sep 2017
  • Are you adding salt to your sauce?

• #169 by quietdesperation on 29 Sep 2017
  • just a pinch of sea salt. It might be the brand I'm using, it was in a big bag at BJs, already in powdered form, probably locatelli.
  • #170 by rparker on 03 Oct 2017
  • QD(or anyone), try a tiny bit of the Cabot directly on the sauce before adding the moz. I know it sound crazy, but it is good. Only about 5-7% of your Mozzarella weight.   The BJ's extra sharp 3-ish(?) year white cheddar is even better, but crumbles too easily after frozen. 

Roy
  • #171 by quietdesperation on 03 Oct 2017
  • thanks roy, it is so good to have you back on the forum! I'm a little confused, I sauced the pie, added cabot and then mozz. Are you saying I should add less cabot (I was about 30%)? or add the cabot to the sauce before it goes on the pie?

• #172 by rparker on 03 Oct 2017
  • thanks roy, it is so good to have you back on the forum! I'm a little confused, I sauced the pie, added cabot and then mozz. Are you saying I should add less cabot (I was about 30%)? or add the cabot to the sauce before it goes on the pie?
    Thanks, QD
    heh heh - my bad. The way I do it is the vey simple way. Sauce the skin and then place the Cabot directly on top of the spreadout sauce. Then add the other cheese. 
  • #173 by quietdesperation on 11 Oct 2017
  • kasl(100%):
    Water (63%):
    IDY (0.2%):
    Salt (2%):
    Oil (2%):
    Sugar (1%):
    LDM(2%):
    Total (168.2%):
    Single Ball:
    368.69 g  |  13 oz | 0.81 lbs
    232.27 g  |  8.19 oz | 0.51 lbs
    0.74 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.24 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
    7.37 g | 0.26 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.54 tsp | 0.51 tbsp
    7.37 g | 0.26 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.64 tsp | 0.55 tbsp
    3.69 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.92 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
    7.37 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.92 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
    620.14 g | 21.87 oz | 1.37 lbs | TF = 0.0824
    310.07 g | 10.94 oz | 0.68 lbs
    [/quote]

Ran out of kabf, I've had a five-pound bag of kasl hanging around for about 6 months, decided to give it a try. The dough opened beautifully after 6 hours at rt.

My wife bought me Pizza Camp for my birthday, decided to make my first white pizza based on one of the recipes in the book.  The white cream is topped with fresh mozz,  grande and raw spinach. Beddia suggests using more spinach than you think possible, I did, and would double the amount next time.

the kasl/ldmp combined to make an absolutely delicious crust with great chew. Unfortunately, it's not that easy for me to source. Overall, it was a very good but very rich pie. Looking forward to trying some of the other recipes in the book.
  • #174 by PizzaManic on 12 Oct 2017
  • That's a nice White Looking Pie  :drool:

Please share more about the White Sauce - have I read correctly, just milk garlic and salt - what was the consistency of the sauce after it was emulsified?
  • #175 by quietdesperation on 12 Oct 2017
  • thanks pm, actually it was heavy cream (I edited my post, decided it might be in violation of Beddia's copyright). The cream was almost but not quite like whipped cream. the book has a number of interesting recipes, definitely worth a read.
  • #176 by Qapla on 13 Oct 2017
  • I came in a little late during this ongoing thread ....

You stated "The dough opened beautifully after 6 hours at rt." - does this mean you are using the day the same day you make it? Is the "6 hours at rt" the time from making to baking? or was there a "cold ferment" somewhere in there?
  • #177 by quietdesperation on 13 Oct 2017
  • qapla, I mixed the dough, balled it and put it into a container.  I measured the six hours from the time it went into the container.  rt=room temperature, which is about 71F here in ny in the fall. there was no cold fermentation.

I'm using craig's formulation which he documented here:
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39200.0

but a slightly lower hydration. If you're interested in this formulation, you can probably start with the formula I'm using as I believe it represents where Craig ended, rather than where he started.  so it might save you 16 pages of reading. Having said that, it's a quick read with lots of good info. I just peeked over at craig's thread again, I've been at this for almost a year and still haven't come close to anything that looks as good as the first pie in his thread. sigh...

I think many of us believe the key to the great tasting crust with short fermentation is ldmp.  You may want to order some before heading down this path.

best,
  • #178 by Qapla on 14 Oct 2017
  • No worries .... I have been making pizza with same day usage for over 50 years and like the way mine turns out. Mine usually has about a 6-8 hour ferment and two rises before I ball it for a final rise and use. It is not NY style. I have only started looking into NY style Pizza since I finally tried some a couple years ago when I went to NYC.
  • #179 by quietdesperation on 19 Oct 2017
  • I've been focusing on finding a spot in our kitchen with a constant ambient temp and improving my launch skills. They both came together in tonight's bake. The second pie was 'nduja with honey. As I've mentioned in the past, the 'nduja we get from arthur ave is *really* spicy so I went much lighter this time and achieved a better spicy/sweet balance. Also, the kasl/ldmp flavor profile seems much better than kabf/ldmp. It will be tough to go back once my 5 lb bag of kasl is gone.

• #180 by hammettjr on 19 Oct 2017
  • Perfect QD, that looks so good  :chef:

I've always ordered KASL direct from KA. The bags are small (under 2lbs?), but I think the shipping is cheaper if you buy atleast 3 at a time.

Pages:
Actions