A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe Beddia and his new book “Pizza Camp”  (Read 6052 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: Joe Beddia and his new book “Pizza Camp”
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
Lots of toppings is a Pennsylvania thing. I do it too :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2017, 04:00:14 AM »
Lots of toppings is a Pennsylvania thing. I do it too :)

Josh,

Interesting you say that lots of toppings is a Pa. thing, and you do it too. I guess it all depends where in Pa. someone is. I can see Joe's pies being topped pretty heavily topped for some of them.  Joe has a small menu for pizzas though.  In this link it tells what happened after Joe moved to the Fishtown area. 

While Joe settled in the neighborhood 15 years ago, beating the crush of suburban transplants by nearly a decade, his pizzeria opened in time to welcome them. Beddia's shop has flourished while feeding a demographic willing to spend a little more, and wait a little longer, for something that feels premium, local, and hand-made but not stuffy or exclusive. 

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/pg53nv/the-secret-sauce-of-phillys-pizza-king-joe-beddia

http://www.pizzeriabeddia.com/

And Joe's Menu as of yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXa51roBe_O/?taken-by=pizzacamp

In the area where I live a plain cheese pie is the most popular, with pepperoni running second. 

I noticed when I went to the Ohio NAPICS those pizza makers put a crazy amount of topping on their pizzas.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2017, 04:13:16 AM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:14 AM »
Some videos from Joe, or about Pizzeria Beddia, but Joe was slow and relaxed making the pizzas when I was there.  A lot more relaxed than it shows in the first video.  John Walk, Joe's assistant was reminding Joe of how many minutes he had to make the next pizza.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
Norma,

The articles and videos are a nice tribute to Joe, including the rap song. Maybe you should have such a song also.

In a world that can get quite crazy, Joe seems at peace with himself. That alone is priceless.

I was also surprised to see that he uses the California Olive Ranch olive oil. I don't recall any other celebrity pizza operator using that olive oil. But it is worthy of the honor of being in and on his pizzas in my opinion. I use the COR oils every day.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2017, 03:26:45 PM »
Norma,

The articles and videos are a nice tribute to Joe, including the rap song. Maybe you should have such a song also.

In a world that can get quite crazy, Joe seems at peace with himself. That alone is priceless.

I was also surprised to see that he uses the California Olive Ranch olive oil. I don't recall any other celebrity pizza operator using that olive oil. But it is worthy of the honor of being in and on his pizzas in my opinion. I use the COR oils every day.

Peter

Peter,

Yes, the articles and videos are a nice tribute to Joe.  Lol about me having a rap song.  Don't know anyone that would do that, besides Joe and his pizzas are a lot more popular. 

I agree that Joe seems to be at peace with himself.  He told me what he plans to do when his lease runs out, but will leave it up to Joe to tell everyone.  There are many more articles about Joe on the web.  I enjoy reading them.  Joe said he is going to come to my small stand maybe in September.   I asked Joe what he was going to talk about at the Pizza and Pasta Show in October.  Joe said he isn't even sure what they want him to talk about.  That is how calm Joe is. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
Norma,

Peter

Peter,

Sorry I didn't reply to the part of your post about the California Olive Ranch olive oil.  Interesting to hear your also use the COR oils everyday.  You and Joe would get along well.  Joe likes fine wines too.   ;D  Might have the try the California Olive Ranch Olive Oil sometime.

Reason why I might have missed that part of your post is:

Got a bit upset yesterday when the overhead light went bad.  First tried a new extension cord today, but that didn't work.  Fiddled with the over head light and it still doesn't work.  Have to go pick on up a new one tomorrow.  Did I say I hate ladders.   :-D  The non-joys of making pizza.

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
His recipe for arrabiatta sauce calls for TWENTY Thai chilis and 5 cloves of garlic with just 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes.  Thai chilis are extremely hot.  I've gotta think that the recipe is a misprint.  Perhaps it was supposed to be two peppers? 

I also think that the amount of garlic is off the charts.  Has anyone actually made this sauce with the given quantities?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
His recipe for arrabiatta sauce calls for TWENTY Thai chilis and 5 cloves of garlic with just 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes.  Thai chilis are extremely hot.  I've gotta think that the recipe is a misprint.  Perhaps it was supposed to be two peppers? 

I also think that the amount of garlic is off the charts.  Has anyone actually made this sauce with the given quantities?

Jonas,

I agree that is way too many Thai chili's, unless the Arrabiatta pizza at Pizzeria Beddia is really that hot.  I sure wouldn't use that much garlic in anything either.

Norma

Edit:  In this article it say this:

The pizza is one answer, but not the only one. Beddia makes a mellow cheese pie, a seriously angry arrabbiata blasted with bird’s-eye chilies, and an ever-changing wild-card pie.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/04/28/philadelphia-restaurant-review-pizzeria-beddia/#0wkSIh1xx6ClRmAh.99

Another article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/20130606_Good_Taste.html

Norma
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:29:58 PM by norma427 »

Offline tsalvino25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »

Jsasras tomorrow I'll look at the recipe in his book to confirm for you.

Also Norma, your stand is only open 1 day a week?  I am in Delaware county I would love to come out and try a pie.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2017, 07:15:30 AM »

Also Norma, your stand is only open 1 day a week?  I am in Delaware county I would love to come out and try a pie.

tsalvino25,

Yes, only opened on Tuesday's.  I suggest if you decide to come to order slice/slices, or a whole pie on a Monday. It has been very busy at market.  Had about 25 people that wanted to order whole pizzas yesterday and couldn't make them.  Had too many orders from Monday. We have to try to have slices for customers that are at market on Tuesday's.  We can't even keep up with them because of being so small. Sometimes we try to squeeze whole pies in for customers that want to order on a Tuesday. That is only if we aren't really backed-up.

Norma

Offline Little bean

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
I was wrong about my last post so I modified it
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:18:19 PM by Little bean »

Offline tsalvino25

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »

Yep doesn't look like a typo 20 Thai chiles here as well

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »

Yowza!! I like spicy food as much as anyone, I need 2-3 hot sauces/salsas to make an adequate breakfast, but that's off the charts!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
I just received the book and it seems that the quantities are correct.  The last sentence in the recipe write-up is "Put the toilet paper in the freezer tonight".  LOL.

Offline holly821

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
The other photos.

Norma

Hello,  I am sure some where buried in the forum is the answer, but why do you have two little black seeds on your dough?   Also, when I have made pizza (same recipe) with an organic dough vs regular bread flour, my dough is always sticky and wetter with the organic.  Do I need to adjust the weight when using organic flour?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »
Hello,  I am sure some where buried in the forum is the answer, but why do you have two little black seeds on your dough?   Also, when I have made pizza (same recipe) with an organic dough vs regular bread flour, my dough is always sticky and wetter with the organic.  Do I need to adjust the weight when using organic flour?

holly821,

Peter discusses how to use the "poppy seed trick" at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6914.0.html

What kind of organic flour are you using and what hydration is used.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
An interview with Joe Beddia on Peter Reinhart's Pizza Quest.

https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/interview-joe-beddia-pizzeria-beddia/

Norma

Offline S.Gares

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »
I just got my copy. Great book!  :pizza: I'm looking forward to trying out the recipes :pizza:

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »

A cup of oil in 28 oz tomatoes? And Norma said somewhere else the sauce is not at all thin. I like olive oil in my sauces and I don’t measure it but I would guess 3 TBS to a 28 oz can of tomatoes.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream