Pages:
Actions
  • #21 by PizzaGarage on 30 Sep 2017
  • Made the thins and they came out good, people said they loved them but I still think not crispy enough.  These were super thin, way less chew than 61% and overall I felt way better.  Still lacks the snap I'm looking for, maybe drop temps back to normal ranges so a longer bake can occur, or lower hydration even more into the mid to upper 40'.   The crust had lots of flavor, wonderful taste!

• #22 by PizzaGarage on 30 Sep 2017
  • #23 by PizzaGarage on 30 Sep 2017
  • few more

Overall pizza was way better, super flavorful crust, slight chew when super thin but the total crispy crust it was not.  Will still keep trying with the flour.
  • #24 by mrmojo1 on 30 Sep 2017
  • awesome!!!!  love your posts and pics!  thank you!!
  • #25 by ipapizza on 04 Oct 2017
  • Awesome pizza! What is your cheese ratio for the Galbani part skim mozz, Fontina and Percorino Romano? How does the cheese taste? I'm a newbie at pizza making.
  • #26 by Mad_Ernie on 04 Oct 2017
  • Made the thins and they came out good, people said they loved them but I still think not crispy enough.  These were super thin, way less chew than 61% and overall I felt way better.  Still lacks the snap I'm looking for, maybe drop temps back to normal ranges so a longer bake can occur, or lower hydration even more into the mid to upper 40'.   The crust had lots of flavor, wonderful taste!

Pics are awesome PG.  Thanks!

I suggest trying one thing at a time.  First try reducing the hydration to 47-48% and see how that goes.  I don't think 600 degrees is your problem.  I cook mine on a 2Stone at anywhere from 600 to 700 degrees F. 

Keep it up and keep posting those pics!  8)

-ME
  • #27 by PizzaGarage on 05 Oct 2017
  • Thanks!!!

Cheese was 70% Mozz, 25% Fontina and 5% P. Romano - has very nice flavor, typically I keep Fontina at 15% but was out of Provolone so increased Fontina.

I'm not so sure sure about the 600 degree stuff, the higher temp adds more variables that I need to watch out for such as Hydration % vs burnt crust and cheese oil off is it's not at the right age.  This crust has tons of flavor and am shocked at that, makes no sense as everyone says really flour brands don't matter.  The dough smells different and has far more flavor so I want to keep trying.  Either I'm going to lower the hydration or take temps back to the normal 475 to see if the crust will crisp up all the way through or maybe do direct on deck then finished up on screen

Crust browning 61% vs 53% shows that 53% is much closer to burning at 8 min and has black spots, 61% slight browning so the higher hydration takes longer to get to the same crust temps as the 53%.  If this goes down to say 45% and at 600 I think this crust will significantly show more burn/black spots.  I'm thinking that maybe for the "crisp" all the way through type crust can't be made at 600 and lower temps are necessary.  In any case, the crust tastes really good and will keep trying with this flour.
  • #28 by invertedisdead on 06 Oct 2017
  • They look great PG!

I don't think you will be able to get more crisp without going lower and slower with the bake time though. Maybe if you drop hydration more, but it's a lot easier for me to make a wetter dough and bake longer.
  • #29 by PizzaGarage on 19 Oct 2017
  • Going to try again with this flour:

GM Full Strength Flour #53395  (Full Strength to say the least)
    Water 53%
    Oil (pure OO Minerva) 3%
    Salt 2.0% (Sea)
    Yeast .3%

Once again a 10lb batch shut down a 30QT mixer.  Was not able to mix on speed #2 for long, total mix time about 6-7 minutes, some on #2 and the majority on #1.  Dough is just too much for my mixer to handle, but I don't have this same issue with All Trumps which has a even higher protein content.  So, dough is slightly shabby, and made my hands sore after only 12 balls.  Interesting stuff.

This time temps are going to be 475 to see if the crust will crisp all the way through.  Maybe 600 is not really the best for a "totally" crispy crust all things considered.  Dropping hydration at those temps I suspect will burn the crust while the pizza is charing up at 53% I got burnt spots.  So, here is the dough, it will be balled and CF directly for 48 and baked on Saturday.
Pages:
Actions