A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grande Mozz vs Supremo Italiano  (Read 967 times)

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
Grande Mozz vs Supremo Italiano
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »
So we left Florida to get to NY with Irma on my posterior.  Brought with me Grande East Coast Blend from the "Boys" at the Pizzeria and also brought up Grande whole milk as well from Gordon Food Service Store.   Both Shredded.   Now I know I am going to go through these 10 pounds pretty quickly.  So I went to my Restaurant Depot to see what they had.   Well before we get to that I didn't need to carry 50 pounds of All Trumps from Florida at Gordon Food Service because RD has all you could want.   But what about the Cheese.

They carry a Saputo Shred part skim and Supremo Italiano whole milk.  So I am curious.  I go to the Manager's Office and I ask him who makes the RD brand cheese.   He looks and he tells me a company that in not Grande.  In the office at the time is another Gentleman wearing a Tee Shirt of a Pizzeria.  In typical New York Style he says, " you gotta a pizzeria"  I say no.  I just wanted to know if the RD brand was made by Grande.   Oh! he says you gotta restaurant?   I know that RD is for commercial people and I am in the Manager's Office.  Crap!   No, I hold my breath and say, I just like to make Pizza.    OOOOOHHHH    WELL LET ME TELL YOU!   Grande is all hype.  I save thousands a year buying Supremo instead.   Sheepishly  I say really?  He goes on... There is no difference that makes it worth it.  Oh I respond, Hey I just like to make pizza and enjoy the challenge and I add , now you have to be a New Yorker to understand this, a challenge to the expert must come in a very crafty way.    I say,"So I guess all those guys owning businesses are cutting into their profit margins and for sure I will try the RD cheese next time"   OH sure he says but let me say this.  The Moment of Truth is Coming...   Grande is a great cheese and the one advantage of it is it reheats perfectly with the look.   Oh I say I don't have that problem.....I will visit his pizzeria,  Another Nice guy I have met since taking up the Hobby.   Don't believe those that say all Commercial Guys are secretive.  It just ain't so.

Offline Zing

Re: Grande Mozz vs Supremo Italiano
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:13 PM »
As I posted in this entry,
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46076.msg462338#msg462338

I think most Supremo Italiano mozzarella that winds up on pizzas is made by Empire Specialty Cheese Company in upstate New York.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:03:59 AM »
Interesting... I've been using Empire-branded whole-milk mozz (shredded), and I'm pretty happy with the flavor and melt.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »

That's really interesting Steve, because you make a whole lot of pizza and people love it!

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Not a fan of supremo used it plenty sorrento is way better. And saputo and pollyo are close to grande.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Not a fan of supremo used it plenty sorrento is way better. And saputo and pollyo are close to grande.
WELL shredded is available at Saputo (Stella) and Pollo is available in Block   ad Restaurant Depot

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:16 AM »
That's really interesting Steve, because you make a whole lot of pizza and people love it!

It may be a factor that I'm only putting ~230g on an 18" pie, on top of ~15g of cheddar... plus sausage and pepperoni (although I do have a regular, cheese-only guy who seems to like it :)).

I hope it keeps working for me; I just put two cases in my chest fridge.   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
So after reading the positive reviews of Supremo Whole Milk Mozz, I picked up some at my local RD. 

The first picture is last night's pie with Supremo cheese.

The second pic is with my favorite Trader Joe's whole milk low moisture mozz. 

Both baked at 550 for 7.5 mins.

Seems like the supremo starts to brown up faster.  (I did not turn either pie during bake)  The TJ's cheese creates that orange color very nicely.  I would also put the flavor of the supremo a step below the TJ's mozz as well.  With the supremo it seemed dry and average flavor.

I would love to try Grande.  My RD does not offer it.  Being in Fresno, I guess my only choice would be to head to the bay area to get some.  I would also love to know who makes TJ's mozz.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
Seems that when I was at RD they had lots of Cheese.
But all Cost more then Grande.
My latest price from my local distributor is 6 5lbs of Grande East Coast Blend Shredded for $84....JT

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Seems that when I was at RD they had lots of Cheese.
But all Cost more then Grande.
My latest price from my local distributor is 6 5lbs of Grande East Coast Blend Shredded for $84....JT
Well the east coast blend of Italiano Supremo is half the price.  but 84 is a very good price for the east coast grande

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:09:27 AM »
So after reading the positive reviews of Supremo Whole Milk Mozz, I picked up some at my local RD. 

The first picture is last night's pie with Supremo cheese.

The second pic is with my favorite Trader Joe's whole milk low moisture mozz. 

Both baked at 550 for 7.5 mins.

Seems like the supremo starts to brown up faster.  (I did not turn either pie during bake)  The TJ's cheese creates that orange color very nicely.  I would also put the flavor of the supremo a step below the TJ's mozz as well.  With the supremo it seemed dry and average flavor.

I would love to try Grande.  My RD does not offer it.  Being in Fresno, I guess my only choice would be to head to the bay area to get some.  I would also love to know who makes TJ's mozz.

Save your trip to SF. RD doesn't carry it at all.

TJ's mozzarella was great when it what the "North Beach" label, produced by Cascade Dairy in Hayward. Now it's just mediocre at best.

Go to Costco Biz in Hayward, or in your area, and pick up a block of Bella Rosano and LMPS North Beach. Cheswick Mozza is another great alternative.

All those options trump Grande by a mile.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »
Glad that you are happy with yea Bella Rosano and other cheese.
My friend love his PollyO Blocks and my other friend used Stella and other brands that I don't care for.
I guess MOST places that makes Pizza in NY,NJ and Pa. area use mostly Grande,can't be that they are wrong? And most places in Reno and many in Calif I find that the Pizza sucks(Calif Pizza Kitchen is the worst pizza Yuk}.........................JT

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
My friend love his PollyO Blocks and my other friend used Stella and other brands that I don't care for.
I guess MOST places that makes Pizza in NY,NJ and Pa. area use mostly Grande,can't be that they are wrong? And most places in Reno and many in Calif I find that the Pizza sucks(Calif Pizza Kitchen is the worst pizza Yuk}.........................JT

Whatís up with this constant and idiotic California bashing when someone disagrees with a certain cheese brand? Itís getting old. If you donít like different opinions, create your own pizza forum or get off of this one. Very simple.

Grande is available nationwide but it is not the ultimate. I have used Grande a gazillion times and while its melt and resistance to excessive browing is great, it lacks somewhat in flavor, imo. There are other mozzarella brands that feature the same characteristics as Grande and sport a ton of flavor on top of it.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »

Whatever your issue is with CPK is, I'm sure that the brand of the cheese would be the least of it.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they used Grande cheese.

There is more good-great pizza in LA and SF than most other major metropolitan cities.  Mere geography is not an idicator of the quality of anything.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
I never bash Calif since I also have a house in the Tahoe area and have yet to find many places I would
try pizza a second time.
Maybe you don't care about my pro stance with Grande but to most its the best to use.And I would never change brands.
As for Calif Pizza Kitchen,when you walk into the one on Santa Monica Blvd it makes you feel you are
walking into a McDonalds.
As I said I have ate at a few good places in Calif but most just don't do a thing for me.And for Reno Nv I feel 90% of their pizza blows.....JT

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
I never bash Calif since I also have a house in the Tahoe area and have yet to find many places I would
try pizza a second time.
Maybe you don't care about my pro stance with Grande but to most its the best to use.And I would never change brands.
As for Calif Pizza Kitchen,when you walk into the one on Santa Monica Blvd it makes you feel you are
As I said I have ate at a few good places in Calif but most just don't do a thing for me.And for Reno Nv I feel 90% of their pizza blows.....JT

My take:

I think the issue is that this thread was about cheese - like the title "Grande Mozz Vs Supremo Italiano."  Somehow, you took it on a left turn into a bashing of some of the pizzerias in Calif and Reno.  And then, the California Pizza chain got thrown in for more red meat. 

You may seen the subject of the thread differently or something else.  But, I am just pointing out how others saw it.  The Calif pizzeria remarks seemed to have little to do with opinions about which cheese may be better than another.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:16:48 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

ďWe hate math,Ē says 4 in 10 Ė a majority of Americans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
try pizza a second time.

Fair enough.

You've used Grande ever since I can remember but you also need to tolerate other members' opinions. Like I said before, I have used Grande extensively and while it's a great cheese, it's not the ultimate, imo. Overpriced and hyped too much as well.

And I'm sure Jonas does not patronize CPK that often.
Mike

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
I agree that there are many great cheese out there.
I was going to try Stella from Samsclub when I was going to make my First pizza.(years ago}
But I saw somebody on this site talking about Grande Cheese and felt why not try it.(since there was a local distributor near by}
Well since then I am happy with the product and feel I really don't wanna try anything thing else even tough
I know that there are many good cheese out there..............JT

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »
I know that there are many good cheese out there..............JT

There are.

Listen, I'm not trying to change your cheese preference, but I took exception with you bashing California. For no reason.

You have always been a cool member, don't fall for the crap other idiots on here are spewing recently, Johnny.

Mike

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
I think the thread turned with Essen's post. The thread was focused on Grande vs Supremo and a member indicated he wanted to try Grande. The response was that there were a number of cheeses that "Trump Grande by a mile". I'm not surprised that comment was responded to. That's a much stronger statement compared to the follow up comment that Grande is a great cheese but not the ultimate. A comment like that with additional detail on lack of flavor etc may have been received differently.
Matt

wordpress