A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: PizzaParty Passione temperature on gas  (Read 445 times)

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
PizzaParty Passione temperature on gas
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
I'm a new Pizza Party Passione oven owner. My first two sessions with the oven were done using red oak and everything was awesome. I was able to hit 800 degrees Fahrenheit with a reasonable sized fire. Tonight, i thought I'd give the gas burner a try. I installed it, got a brand new tank of propane, and fired it up. I could not get the temperature up above 500 degrees Fahrenheit no matter how long I let it run!?!

My pizzas tonight were a flop due to the low temp.

Does anyone have a Pssione and if so, what kind of temps are you hitting when running propane?

:(

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: PizzaParty Passione temperature on gas
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »
Tonight, i thought I'd give the gas burner a try. I installed it, got a brand new tank of propane, and fired it up. I could not get the temperature up above 500 degrees Fahrenheit no matter how long I let it run!?!

Have you used propane outdoors in the past few years? The small tanks now have an automatic shutoff (designed to protect against hose ruptures and other abrupt, high-flow situations) that can be triggered when you open the gas valves too quickly. To reset, you turn off the appliance and turn off the tank; you'll hear a small "clink" as the safety disengages. Then you *slowly* open the tank valve, and *slowly* turn on the burner. Sometimes the tank is defective and won't reset, and swapping tanks is necessary.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Thanks for the response. There's a fairly large flame coming out of the burner so I don't think it's the propane safety valve. Usually when that's engaged there's almost no pressure. It feels like the burner is just undersized or something. Was hoping to hear from someone with the same oven to see if they've been able to hit sufficient temps. May not be that many of us on here.

Aaron

Offline LaLabbo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:21:56 AM »
Hey

I'm using the gas version without any problems... For safty and regulation reasons I changend the pressure regulator but thats all.

Heat wasn't my problem at all... If there is a problem it's freezing gas bottles, if I run the burner on full power for several hours a typical german 11kg bottle starts freezing, so you need a multi-bottle system for that issue, but I think full power for couple of hours is not the regular typ of usage.

Greets

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
I can get the Pazzione over 1000F deck temp in about 20 minutes from cold with the gas burner.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »
Hmmmm... ok.

Thanks for the responses guys! Something must be wrong with my burner.

I've tried several new propane bottles, the outside temp is hot (I'm in Southern California), the regulator isn't in lock down mode, and I've used multiple thermometers to test the temp including a laser model. Can't get above 550 with the door on.

I have a different regulator at home that I use on my camp chef stove, I'll try that tonight to see if it makes the difference.

Aaron

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
Post a picture of the flame if you get a chance.

Here is mine running wide open in the dark.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline italdream

• Supporting Member
  • Fatte ‘na pizza c’a pummarola ‘ncoppa
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
Post a picture of the flame if you get a chance.

Here is mine running wide open in the dark.

In fall NY weather, it takes about 30-35 minutes to get to 900F+ and an extra 5-10 minutes to go to the high 900s low 1000s. Last winter, it took a bit more of time (I would say 40 minutes to get into the 900s). Also, not sure if it is the picture but my flame does not look as strong as that. Craig, I presume that you are using all the standards PP components, right?
Pizza Party Passione | Alive and Kicking
Blackstone | Semiretired
Kettle Grill Insert | Dumped
Little Black Egg | Retired with Honors
Modified Pizza Bella | Retired with Honors

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »
That's correct. No mods.

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
I let her run for a good 30 - 40 minutes and she never got over 550. And it was pretty warm out. 80's.

Here's a picture on ignition running at full and a picture of the flame after 30 minutes or so. Doesn't look to be as big as yours TxCraig.

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
I installed a different regulator to see if that was the problem. It was! The regulator I installed has an adjustment knob on it that will go from 0 PSI to 20 PSI. At 20 PSI the oven hit 700 degrees in a matter of seconds! The flame went all the way across the top and around to the other side.  >:D

Obviously that's too strong but it does prove that the other regulator wasn't giving the burner enough gas.

This is what I was using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038V5D5U/?tag=pmak-20

Aaron

Offline AaronHartwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Couldn't ever get it working with a normal low pressure regulator. Tried multiple regulators and tanks. 550 was the max temp I could hit. Simone asked me to send my burner back, she's sending me another. Will keep everyone posted.

Offline ttony604

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 05:29:03 PM »
Make sure u close the door tightly to get the temp high and keep it closed after launching your pie.

wordpress