A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mixer recommendation  (Read 556 times)

Offline renchero

• Still learning and loving every minute of it
Mixer recommendation
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
Hey all,

I'm working on putting together my wish list for a food truck that I'm spec'ing out. 

Since I'll be in a food truck and I can't work out of my home kitchen, I need to get a mixer that is smaller than a floor model.  I'm thinking countertop, 20 qt.  If I'm incorrect in assuming this, please let me know!

The 20qt models that I found my dealer (Sysco) sells are as follows (I'm not married to this list and will most likely buy used in all reality):
Globe SP20 (115V)
Vollrath 40757 (110V)
Axis AXM20 (110V)
Doyon EM20 (120V)
Hobart SL2001STD (120) - this one is more than double the price of every other one on this list!  Is the Hobart really worth it?

Sorry if this was discussed already.  I did find a few other posts regarding mixers but nothing that could answer my particular question.

I'm wondering about brand reliability and support, quality, scalability, overall value, etc.. 

I would love to hear any suggestions.  In regards to opening a food truck, I'll ask not to get any recommendations for that in this thread.  Thanks!!!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Mixer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
If you're planning to mix only dough there has recently been some discussion here on a small size spiral mixer that is priced right and might be a better option than any of those listed....just something to explore.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline renchero

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
Yep.  I would only be doing dough in it.  I will look for that thread.  This is perfect.  Thanks Tom.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
Renchero;
If you can't find it ask Peter to see if he can locate it for you, he works magic when it comes to locating stuff! It's in a very recent posting so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline renchero

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
I think I found it. It was a Hakka 5 qt spiral mixer but it was only one speed. I guess Iíd be okay with one speed but I would for sure need the larger one.

Offline renchero

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:47 PM »
OK.  I just have to go on the record here and compliment the members of this board.  My gosh.  I thought I knew what I was talking about when I talked about making pizza.  I had zero clue about the spiral mixer.  I just watched the video by Matthew on the spiral mixer and had to pick up my jaw from the floor.  I only use my mixer for dough, either pizza or breads so I'm going to for sure go with the spiral mixer for the food truck.  And if I ever need a pastry or pie crust, I'll use the KA Mixer. 

Thank you, once again, for opening my eyes. 

I am a full fledged fan of the spiral mixer.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
OK.  I just have to go on the record here and compliment the members of this board.  My gosh.  I thought I knew what I was talking about when I talked about making pizza.  I had zero clue about the spiral mixer.  I just watched the video by Matthew on the spiral mixer and had to pick up my jaw from the floor.  I only use my mixer for dough, either pizza or breads so I'm going to for sure go with the spiral mixer for the food truck.  And if I ever need a pastry or pie crust, I'll use the KA Mixer. 

Thank you, once again, for opening my eyes. 

I am a full fledged fan of the spiral mixer.
First use of the Haussler SP20

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=58998&share_tid=47389&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epizzamaking%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D47389&share_type=t

I've been using the haussler sp20 spiral mixer for about 6 months and this thing is my favorite piece of equipment. 

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline renchero

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
First use of the Haussler SP20

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=58998&share_tid=47389&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epizzamaking%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D47389&share_type=t

I've been using the haussler sp20 spiral mixer for about 6 months and this thing is my favorite piece of equipment. 

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk

Sweet. Thanks for posting the link. It sounds like we may be doing some similar stuff. Iíll pm you tomorrow. Much appreciated!!

Offline McRobBob07

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
I have a Mecnosud IM25. Two speed Italian made mixer. Produces great dough! Same mixer I used in Italy.

Offline renchero

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
Iíll look at that one too. Is it sold in the US?

Offline McRobBob07

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Iíll look at that one too. Is it sold in the US?
Yes, but I believe you have to go through Artisan Pizza Solutions out of California.

Check out their site.

Warning: Michael can talk a lot (owner).

Offline renchero

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Yes, but I believe you have to go through Artisan Pizza Solutions out of California.

Check out their site.

Warning: Michael can talk a lot (owner).

Haha. Thanks.