A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Got Mesh screen! Help me use it  (Read 4239 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Got Mesh screen! Help me use it
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
Cheese loading per square inch and bake time some how seem relevant here.

If you say so.  Your personal use plays in how?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
Cheese loading per square inch and bake time some how seem relevant here.

Somehow is a word...

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
If you say so.  Your personal use plays in how?

The comparison of how much cheese is “heavy” on an 18” pie in Queens and the amount of cheese on my 14” pies.

How is this so hard for a guy who mentions math in his sig?
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
Excellent. You can work as an editor at CNN when you get back to the US.

Nah...I am too moderate to edit for CNN or Fox...You'd have to be pretty extreme or sheepish to work for either network...

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
You are wasting your breath when discussing anything with DS.  He is an expert in all things pizza...In particular "floppy", over-fermented dough.  I heard it comes from using too high a sourdough inoculation without regard to time or temperature as an ingredient.  You just plug in 20 percent and go because it is the only way to make good dough.  Just what I have heard...

Unfortunately.

Some newbies, that show up here occasionally, don't seem to want to learn because they falsely assume that they already know everything there is to know about pizzamaking. Even if that results in anemic, underbaked, floppy and lifeless pies which seriously lack in the aesthetics department.

But then again, who am I to judge. To each his own.   :-\
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2018, 02:59:55 PM »
Unfortunately.

Some newbies, that show up here occasionally, don't seem to want to learn because they falsely assume that they already know everything there is to know about pizzamaking. Even if that results in anemic, underbaked, floppy and lifeless pies which seriously lack in the aesthetics department.

Yep...

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
Nah...I am too moderate to edit for CNN or Fox...You'd have to be pretty extreme or sheepish to work for either network...

You must have felt a little bit sheepish the other day on your drive to work :-D :-D

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51050.0

Rolls

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Unfortunately.

Another fan. I feel like a rock star.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
The comparison of how much cheese is “heavy” on an 18” pie in Queens and the amount of cheese on my 14” pies.

How is this so hard for a guy who mentions math in his sig?

Not the least bit difficult.  Please note it is not quite math, more basic arithmetic.

Perhaps you missed my point.  Let me try again - the amount of cheese you happen to use on your pizza, especially since it is atypically low, seems not the least bit germaine to the topic you introduced about a screen sounding like a crutch to you. 

Several posters have already explained you are wrong, with good detail, on your assertion about the use of a screen.
Mitch

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Not the least bit difficult.  Please note it is not quite math, more basic arithmetic.

Perhaps you missed my point.  Let me try again - the amount of cheese you happen to use on your pizza, especially since it is atypically low, seems not the least bit germaine to the topic you introduced about a screen sounding like a crutch to you. 

Several posters have already explained you are wrong, with good detail, on your assertion about the use of a screen.

Incorrect

Not to start a Holy War here or anything...

Using a screen sounds like a crutch for pizza makers who don't know who to handle dough (yet) and/or a wack'd dough recipe that is excessively floppy.

Why would anyone want to replicate a pizza that was made like this?

Sounds like a step backwards if you can already use a peel.

Discuss.

As you can see here there was no assertion. It was a point for discussion upon which at least one poster (Harry as well as others) provided detail as to why a screen might be used.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
Incorrect

As you can see here there was no assertion. It was a point for discussion upon which at least one poster (Harry as well as others) provided detail as to why a screen might be used.

"sounds like" like a crutch.  "sounds like" a step backwards. 

Sorry, not even a little bit cute.  yarbrough462's advice is spot on.....
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Most members here use low cheese amounts compared to operators, I've been using higher mozz amounts after reading a bit of the PMQ forum and my tasters don't know what it is but like it better. I'm using 8 oz on a 12" pie right now. Mozz is like $2 a pound wholesale so it doesn't add that much to the cost of a pie, even in higher amounts.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Most members here use low cheese amounts compared to operators, I've been using higher mozz amounts after reading a bit of the PMQ forum and my tasters don't know what it is but like it better. I'm using 8 oz on a 12" pie right now. Mozz is like $2 a pound wholesale so it doesn't add that much to the cost of a pie, even in higher amounts.

Ive cut back on the cheese primarily because of the videos Ive seen. Some of them look like they use “a sneeze of cheese”
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2018, 07:55:12 PM »

Not too get even further off topic but.... I think a lot of this also comes down to oven setup. In playing with my bakes, if I went higher on cheese (in my oven) I had to bake longer, which meant lowering the temp, which negatively affected crust. Backing off the cheese has allowed me to get back to that sweet spot for me. I think a much thicker stone may be the answer and that may allow a better bake with more cheese....

Offline Josh123

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
I use 16 ounces of whole milk mozz on a pizza, so starting the bake with a screen is a must for me

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
It's clear that certain members participating in this thread are testing the limits of the Rules of Conduct policy.

Let me post the Rules of Conduct here for reference. I'll highlight some words that are relevant.

3. Rules of Conduct

PIZZAMAKING.COM strives to be a friendly place and encourages camaraderie, discussion, and spirited debate. Everyone is expected to act in a courteous and respectful manner. While disagreements are sure to arise, please exercise restraint and civility when responding to such posts. Profanity, name-calling, personal attacks, rudeness, etc., will not be tolerated here. Personal attacks are defined as (but not limited to): abusive, defamatory, or derogatory phrases based on race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religious or political beliefs, disabilities, ethnicity, nationality, etc., directed against another member or a group of members; using someone's affiliations as an ad hominem means of dismissing or discrediting their views (an example could be "you're from California, so what would you know about New York pizza?"); linking to external attacks, harassment, or other material, for the purpose of attacking another member; comparing members to Nazis, dictators, or other infamous persons; accusations about personal behavior that lack evidence (serious accusations require serious evidence); and threats of any kind (both online and offline). Violators will have their posting privileges revoked.

Agree to disagree. Live and let live. Be friendly. Stop with the barbs, snipes, and holier-than-thou attitudes.

wordpress