A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Fridge pizza dough (72 hours) holes and air bubbles?  (Read 443 times)

Offline prizna

Fridge pizza dough (72 hours) holes and air bubbles?
« on: November 19, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
Recently I have tried my hand at making a 72 hour fridge pizza dough.

Usually after a day into the making of the dough I can notice that there are holes from where gas bubbles have popped, there are usually a few small inflated gas bubbles that have not popped as well. Is this a normal occurrence, I have seen other recipes and videos of people making dough with a similar process but the dough seems very smooth and with no bubbles or holes.

Could there be something that I am doing wrong before adding it to the fridge, overworking or underworking the dough? Could I be using too much yeast that is causing the bubbles (I use 1/2 a teaspoon of instant yeast for 500 grams of flour and 300 mls of water) or is this just normal for this process of dough making?

Attached image of what I mean about the holes and air bubbles.

Offline loch

Re: Fridge pizza dough (72 hours) holes and air bubbles?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
I don't think you have too much yeast and hydration seems fine.

Can you post more details on your dough making process?

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline prizna

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »
I don't think you have too much yeast and hydration seems fine.

Can you post more details on your dough making process?

Dave

Thanks for the reply,

I measure 500 grams of flour into a mixing bowl and add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of sugar to the flour and mix to combine. I then add 1/2 a teaspoon of instant yeast into a glass of 300 mls of luke warm water and give that a quick mix (it doesn't need to be activated, but I feel that mixing it into the water will give it a more even distribution into the flour), I pour that into my flour mix and give it a quick stir with a butter knife until combined and then I knead with my hands until there are no dry spots on my dough. I cover the dough in the mixing bowl with cling film and the put it in the fridge for 3 days.

Offline loch

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
Well, my first guess would be that you aren't getting things mixed well enough and there are pockets of yeast on the surface of the dough.

I mix my pizza dough, knead for about 5 minutes, then let it rest on the room temp (68 F) counter, giving it a series of stretch and fold every 20 minutes for that hour period. The stretch and fold also smooths out the dough, fixing any issues that my hand mixing may have missed.

You can get an idea of the benefit of the stretch and fold when it comes to incorporating ingredients.

Dave

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 11:23:28 AM »
For me that would be too much yeast and not enough salt.

Offline prizna

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »
Well, my first guess would be that you aren't getting things mixed well enough and there are pockets of yeast on the surface of the dough.

I mix my pizza dough, knead for about 5 minutes, then let it rest on the room temp (68 F) counter, giving it a series of stretch and fold every 20 minutes for that hour period. The stretch and fold also smooths out the dough, fixing any issues that my hand mixing may have missed.

You can get an idea of the benefit of the stretch and fold when it comes to incorporating ingredients.

Dave

Thanks for the info, I guess maybe I'm just not mixing it enough, ill give your method a try next time and see if it helps.

One other thing that ill ask since I've been unsure about and seen conflicting information on, if I am doing a 72 hour dough in the fridge, should I still be using warm water like I am, or should I be using cold water instead?

Offline prizna

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
For me that would be too much yeast and not enough salt.

How much yeast and salt would you use for 500 grams of flour and 300 mls of water in a 72 hour fridge dough? and would you add any sugar or just let the yeast use the natural sugars in the flour?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:28:28 AM by prizna »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 11:32:44 AM »
How much yeast and salt would you use for 500 grams of flour and 300 mls of water in a 72 hour fridge dough? and would you add any sugar or just let the yeast use the natural sugars in the flour?

Yeast is fine at your .3% but double the salt.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline prizna

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 11:35:59 AM »
Yeast is fine at your .3% but double the salt.

Ok, so keep the yeast the same, but add an extra tsp of salt?

Offline loch

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, I guess maybe I'm just not mixing it enough, ill give your method a try next time and see if it helps.

One other thing that ill ask since I've been unsure about and seen conflicting information on, if I am doing a 72 hour dough in the fridge, should I still be using warm water like I am, or should I be using cold water instead?

I like my dough to end up at about 76 F (whether mixed by machine or hand) before it goes into the fridge. It will allow the yeast to activate but doesn't cause a great deal of growth. Using room temp ingredients and hand mixing I usually go with 78 F water. You'll have to experiment to get to a temp that won't cause too much growth before chilling the dough.

Dave

Offline prizna

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »
I like my dough to end up at about 76 F (whether mixed by machine or hand) before it goes into the fridge. It will allow the yeast to activate but doesn't cause a great deal of growth. Using room temp ingredients and hand mixing I usually go with 78 F water. You'll have to experiment to get to a temp that won't cause too much growth before chilling the dough.

Dave

Ok thanks, ive been using water at about 95 F, I might lower the temperature next time and see how that goes.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »
Ok, so keep the yeast the same, but add an extra tsp of salt?
everyone does it different. Try it as Hans suggested and if it works great. You can try backing off on yeast to see what happens. Experimenting is the fun part.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
Lower your water temp to around 65f, increase your salt as suggested, and knead longer or incorporate stretch and folds.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline ARenko

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 02:00:32 PM »
See this thread...https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0

And weigh your yeast.