A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough Stickier Than Usual  (Read 214 times)

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Dough Stickier Than Usual
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »
Hey guys. This morning I made a batch of dough for NY pizza. I usually use KABF but today I wanted to try something different so I did a 50/50 mix of KABF and KA all purpose. I found the dough to be stickier than previous batches. Ive included the formula below. What could cause this?
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Stickier Than Usual
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
As I was just reviewing my notes from the last batch I noticed I did increase the LDMP from 2% to 3% on this batch using 60 degree Lintner to help with color. I donít know if that would make a difference.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 11:05:45 AM »
Different flours absorb water at different rates.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
As I was just reviewing my notes from the last batch I noticed I did increase the LDMP from 2% to 3% on this batch using 60 degree Lintner to help with color. I donít know if that would make a difference.
BBqguy,

That would be my guess. When too much diastatic malt is used, the dough can become sticky and hard to handle. The late Tom Lehmann discussed this problem at Reply 3 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36090.msg359439;topicseen#msg359439

You will note from the above post that the diastatic malt was a low diastatic malt at 20 degrees Lintner. In your case, with 60L, you may want to use triple the percent noted in Tom's post.

Peter

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
I would say it could be either of the changes you made to your recipe, or a combination of both. AP flour cannot usually handle as much hydration as a higher gluten flour without becoming sticky, and any kind of finely ground sugar could probably become sticky if enough of it is used. I personally recommend only making one change at a time when you're experimenting with your dough recipe and/or workflow. When you change more than one thing at a time and something changes in the finished product, it's hard to know for sure which change in the process was responsible for the change in the finished dough, and then you're back to square one.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »
BBqguy,

That would be my guess. When too much diastatic malt is used, the dough can become sticky and hard to handle. The late Tom Lehmann discussed this problem at Reply 3 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36090.msg359439;topicseen#msg359439

You will note from the above post that the diastatic malt was a low diastatic malt at 20 degrees Lintner. In your case, with 60L, you may want to use triple the percent noted in Tom's post.

Peter

For 60L would that be 1/3 as much or triple the 20L?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »
For 60L would that be 1/3 as much or triple the 20L?
Bbqquy,

What I meant was for you to use 0.75% for the 60L, not 3%.

Peter

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
Bbqquy,

What I meant was for you to use 0.75% for the 60L, not 3%.

Peter

Gotcha. Thanks Pete.

wordpress