A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
New York Style / Re: Have you had this cheese melt?
« Last post by norma427 on Today at 04:29:25 AM »

I'm thinking I may eschew mozz in my next bake and just find the best, freshest romano I can find. I suppose that's not really a topic for a cheese melt thread  :-\

Jeff,

I was lucky to have Scott of scottspizzatours to name my slice the best he tasted in 2016. Those slices sure look like a mess to me though.  The pizza was baked at market, then wrapped in aluminum foil in individual slices, taken to my daughters home in Staten Island, then to Scott's Slice Out Hunger Event October 4, 2017 the next day.  The slices were in a cooler bag.  They sat around all day while I was helping at Scott's event.  Scott then took them home and put them in his freezer.  I sure don't know how they could be good after all of that  :-D, but I did add hard cheeses.

Norma
New York Style / Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Last post by norma427 on Today at 04:01:41 AM »
Ashley Searches NYC for the Secret to Its Legendary Pizza Tradition

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/1st-look/New-York-vs-Los-Angeles-Pizza.html

Note how thin Luigi's sauce is and how the cheese melt is. 

BTW, I do like some olive oil in my sauces except for NP pies.

Norma
« Last post by csnack on Today at 03:40:45 AM »
I have yet to keep it simple. I tend to like a well seasoned mae sauce. I've been going through a case of Sclafani and they're very good, but I just got a deal on 6 28oz cans of Cento all purpose crushed and I really dig the taste right out of the can. Sclafani is good out of the can too, but I think I'm liking Cento better though I ended up doing my usual mae and seasonings. I think next time I'll try just a bit of salt, red pepper flakes and maybe oregano since that seems to be the quintessential NY sauce herb, and some evoo. I always use 2 tbsp of a decent evoo, right now California Olive Ranch.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Pizzeria Amore
« Last post by SAUZER.ITALY on Today at 01:55:32 AM »
Wow  ^^^ very nice margherita ! Bravo .
Shop Talk / Re: Pizza party saves pizza party
« Last post by thezaman on Today at 01:54:30 AM »
Now I wish I would have gotten the longer one. I cooked all of the margherita's in the little guy. The big guy did all of the rest.at 50 seconds a pizza I was able to keep up fine.
« Last post by quietdesperation on Today at 12:12:48 AM »
I keep it really simple, Sclafani, a pinch of good oregano and a pinch of sea salt. I've also used trader joes, which in 6-in-1, with a little more sea salt. My wife, who owns the better palate in the marriage. loves my sauce, so I think I'm on to something with the kiss technique.  If I'm topping with pepperoni, I leave out the sea salt.

I do add a really good eevo post bake and it definitely adds richness to the slice.
« Last post by quietdesperation on Today at 12:01:46 AM »
that's a beautiful pie! I can see how you might go after a different melt but it's hard to imagine a better melt.

not sure if I posted this, I recently had a Margherita slice at a very good pizzeria. They used a lot of really good hard cheese in (or on) the sauce. It was delicious to the point where I didn't really care about the fresh mozz...I just wanted another bite of crust, sauce and hard cheese. So on my last bake, I really went at it with the hard cheese to see if I could replicate the taste. It was close but the pizzeria used better, fresher and/or different hard cheese and it made a noticeable difference.

I'm thinking I may eschew mozz in my next bake and just find the best, freshest romano I can find. I suppose that's not really a topic for a cheese melt thread  :-\
Pizza Cheese / Re: Grande Cheese Question.
« Last post by csnack on Yesterday at 11:20:48 PM »
If you make yea own pizza then why not buy a 50lb case of Grande loafs?
Myself it cost me $150 for 8 7lb lofts of Grande Whole milk cheese.
I give half always to friends for free and I freeze the rest for myself.
Nothing better then Grande......JT
But that is only available to purchase for food service isn't it?
Pizza Cheese / Re: Grande Cheese Question.
« Last post by johnnytuinals on Yesterday at 11:02:11 PM »
If you make yea own pizza then why not buy a 50lb case of Grande loafs?
Myself it cost me $150 for 8 7lb lofts of Grande Whole milk cheese.
I give half always to friends for free and I freeze the rest for myself.
Nothing better then Grande......JT
« Last post by rparker on Yesterday at 10:28:06 PM »
Where do you get the Sicilian oregano, and do you think it's an authentic NY-style slice spice?

I think this thread has been very informative for cheese melt, and I second (or third?) a sauce thread with the same cast of characters contributing. Sauce is definitely subjective, but we could all probably agree on a good base to work from.
It's also very dependent on every aspect of our individual bakes, beginning with dough density, cheese amounts, sauce viscosity and any combination thereof.....and that is before even discussing ovens, stones, etc. Even if we could make the same exact sauce, it very well may not bake up the same way. Sharing notes or even identifying which spices takes over when, or which herbs take over when something really bubbles fast - or slow - so that others can attempt similar adjustments would be some next level intel. I'm barely scratching the surface. I go a little beyond my boundaries and something goes out of balance. Get's irritating a time or two a month when I change something too drastically.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T